• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RSE 2.5 (what if sequels instead of remakes?)

Would you be more excited for sequels instead of remakes?

• Yes, I'd love a completely new game featuring Hoenn, story 10 years after RSE, some new pokes and ev

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sure, but not too different, no big changes, like BW2 was to BW

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • No, I'd rather have simple plain RS remakes, like FRLG/HGSS were to RBY/GSC

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Pft, give me another Gen I remake, FRLG are just as outdated as RSE

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
  • --Intro thoughts--

Everyone knows gamefreaks concept of remakes (plain copy paste of everything, just with updated mechanics and graphics, with all the extra stuff added in the postgame only.)

But with the advent of BW2, they have shown us something unexpectedly creative. Instead of releasing just a slightly improved third version that tells the full story, they introduced the first direct sequels, continuing the story of BW instead with new protagonists with a separate adventure in the same region.

Long ago I have been thinking about FRLG and HGSS, and figured that they can't keep going on with this forever, because
    -even the remakes would become just as old and outdated as some original games
    -it would become increasingly lamer if there was no improvement whatsoever besides the technicalities, especially as we get to the games that were much better fleshed out (which to me seems like RSE and later...)

So I concluded that they will have to spice the nostalgia department up one way or another soon.

With BW2 announced, this now feels more imminent than before, and actually like a serious possibility, for next on the list, Hoenn.

What I am implying is that there might be something more interesting ahead than just same old boring RS remakes (like everyone is confidently expecting so far)
    ....or not, of course. We shall see.

But for the time being, how about some speculating on this possibility?

--RSE sequels--

Imagine that instead of remakes, they would decide to make completely new games that feature Hoenn.
    -It could be like BW2 used Unova in a different way, or
    -it could start in a new place but include Hoenn, similar to GS featuring Kanto,
    -or anything in between.
    It could feature
    -(perhaps a shorter ~50-80 mid-generation of) new pokemon, or
    -just add some legends/formes/evolutions/babies, or
    -simply focus on gen III and spice it up with some more of the rest of good old Japan-based regions pokes.

Imagine it took place quite a bit later than RSE, for example a decade or so.
    How would the region have changed?
    Perhaps the journey would start in a different corner?
    Where and what kind of new places would show up?
    Would Hoenn only make up one part of a bigger map? Or just feature more islands around it?

Would there be a new villainous team, or perhaps a merged Neo Magma&Aqua or something?
    Could there be more important legendaries hidden somewhere? What would they be about? More weather causing? (there is still Hail and Standstorm to go!)

What would the gym/E4 types be? Would some of them still be there or most replaced? Perhaps some of them by relatives of the old leaders?

What old characters would you meet and how?

Would the Battle Frontier have grown even bigger?

If it included new pokemon, it would be appropriate to have new main legends and version names. What would these be? And would they go with the red/blue theme again or feature other colors?

etc.

What else?

I do realise there is a RS remake speculation thread, but I believe this topic raises enough interesting questions on its own, that don't necessarily fit the plain RS remake discussion.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I quite enjoy that actually. The first games I ever played were GSC and then I played RSE before going all the way back to Blue so I knew the real story for when I played Leaf Green.
    I'll tell you having updated graphics and few extra little things here and there wasn't really satisfying for me so LeafGreen was a let down a little bit. And then when HGSS came out It was so tedious I already did all this and it was annoying having someone follow me around (I'm probably the only person who dislikes that following thing).

So yes a sequel would be much more interesting a new storyline based around followers of Aqua and Magma and what's more have a group of followers for Rayquaza.
    And if not having all this new stuff at least start in a different town No one needs 4 or 5 games where you start in the same town in every one, you're practically reliving your own story again and that is boring.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    I'm very doubtful we'll see a Ruby 2 and Sapphire 2.

The issue with the Legendary Pokemon of Hoenn would be in conflict, because if new ones are introduced, what will happen to Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza? The Weather trio were supposed to be important to the history of Hoenn, just like Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem were to Unova. However, we didn't get that Grey/Gray version everyone thought we would, but we do have Emerald. I think if we do go back to Hoenn, it will be in plain remakes because I just feel with Emerald, they pretty much gave the Hoenn Legends all a chance to shine, just like Platinum did for Giratina and Black 2 and White 2 did for Kyurem. Of course, there's always the chance we won't go back to Hoenn at all.

Eh, who knows? I just personally feel it'll be remakes again, but to be honest, I'm starting to doubt that we'll ever go back to Hoenn.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Oh boy, another thread that wants to torture me. You know...at this point, I'm so annoyed with RSE remake "hints" that maybe I would, dare I say, rather have a sequel at this point. Yes...the hint grabbers have annoyed me to the point where I'm ready to punch remakes if they actually happen. Look what you've all done to me!

But seriously, I love Hoenn enough to where I really don't care if it's remade or we get sequels to RS. Wouldn't bother me. I'd just love to play through Hoenn again, just, you know, updated. If we don't get that, then...well, we don't get them. We'll get over it...hopefully.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • I'd absolutely love it if this happened, but unfortunately it won't. It'll be either plain remakes with bits added in or no remakes at all. I really can't see Game Freak just deciding "Hey, let's randomly create sequels for games we made almost 10 years ago now!". It wouldn't make sense.

Also, I'm not against "plain" remakes, so whatever Game Freak decides to throw at us I'm likely to buy. I have so much nostalgia for the original Hoenn games plain remakes would probably make me just as happy as and updated Hoenn game.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • I dont care if it's a sequel or remake. I just want hoenn to have graphics on par with the other 4 regions.

Megaman3007

MTF FTW :)
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2012
    I wonder if they would be for DS or 3DS. It seems they want to make the 3DS like the PS2 which is still making games. mind you most of the games this year are just sports but we did get a few rpgs in the last few years for it. However I would want it on 3DS. Hoenn would look amazing.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • @Megaman3007:
    There is no chance they would not be 3DS.
    Any game, not just Hoenn related. Doing gen V on DS was a pretty weird move already, there is no way they would drag it out even further. Which futher adds to my point: whatever game is next, it will be new in one way or another. It will be post gen V.

If there were 2 more weather legends... the weather thats left are Hail and Sandstorm. But although both are actually hazardous compared to sun and rain, neither feel as threatening on the bigger picture.

Ive always felt Hail should be a different type. Like a general damaging weather. Its hard balls falling from the sky. Sure they are frozen, but it would make more sense if Steel were immune to it at least. And the other issue with it is, that it prevents the introduction of a snow-based weather, which is what you actually run into on adventures, not freakin Hail...

And sandstorm kind of goes along with land drying up and climate turning hot, which might be too close to Groudons concept.

It is kind of like Sandstorm and Hail are the next step of freaking hot and heavy rainfall.

So that makes me think of 2 more concrete ideas.
    The main legends employing these weather effects, could be
    -like Kyogre/Groudons cousins xDD
    -Kyogre and Groudon with more dangerous formes... although people seem to dislike formes in general right now for some reason.

The names would probably be similarly interesting gems. Since RSE had red blue and green, it could be something yellow and purple to compliment them? Or orange and light blue if they went for the Sandstorm/Hail idea.
    Things that come to mind would be Topaz, Amethyst, Amber, Azure..

Are there any weather concepts that haven't been introduced yet? I've been contemplating the idea of a night weather. It'd be Dark type, but of course also work well with Ghosts (I've made up a Ghost move called PhantomBeam which is a Ghost Variation of SolarBeam, hence similarly requiring no charge turn at a differently typed night weather)... but even that seems a bit far fetched.

The other one I see is Wind. Flying-Type...but sounds rather boring, like Fog..

Also, the third one could be an unexpected appearance of Rayquaza O:!!

Or since Rayquaza was the embodiment of calm weather, clear weather... its counterpart could be a stormy wind based legend, that blows the Hail and Sandstorm away. Perhaps Electric/Flying muahahaha...

I imagine the Sandstorm one as a proud slow horse-like appearance, but with a torn look. Like its a living giant bone structure.
    (EDIT: similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BUlLKRs71A&t=4m15s)
    And the hail one as a giant armored frozen tortoise.

All of them covered in similar patterns to the RSE legends O:

And note one thing:
    These hypothetical games would not necessarily have to be set in Hoenn exclusively. (since many probably feel weird about Hoenn suddenly inhabiting another set of legends etc)
    It could very well be simply like GS! Perhaps an area close to Hoenn, and letting you actually visit it at some point. Whether it would be only after E4, or halfway through.
    I would go crazy in either case D:

Last edited:

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • No, I want a plain RSE remake ! I want to play as Ruby or Sapphire, and challenge Team Aqua and Magma again. While, if it was a sequel, I guess it wouldn't be possible, since they have been totally taken down and that the bosses have changed their mind about their plans.
    Of course, I want some improvements and new features, like HGSS did, but sticking with GSC nevertheless.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    @MiTjA

Imo hail/sandstorm isn't good idea because it kinda destroys the original concept of R/S/E. Concept of R/S/E is about using sunlight or rain to increase land or water areas - something solid. Also both sunlight and rain are needed for life but they need to be kept in balance which is what members of Magma and Aqua understood after seeing how dangerous their plans were.

Hail and sandstorm are not really needed for anything - they are just destructive powers and can't shape the Earth like land and water. Imo the best for Hoenn would be remakes because land/water theme is the best for this region.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    @MiTjA

Imo hail/sandstorm isn't good idea because it kinda destroys the original concept of R/S/E. Concept of R/S/E is about using sunlight or rain to increase land or water areas - something solid. Also both sunlight and rain are needed for life but they need to be kept in balance which is what members of Magma and Aqua understood after seeing how dangerous their plans were.

Hail and sandstorm are not really needed for anything - they are just destructive powers and can't shape the Earth like land and water. Imo the best for Hoenn would be remakes because land/water theme is the best for this region.

No it wasn't about Sunlight and Rain. It was specifically about Groudon and Kyogre. Groudon was said to be able to create land masses oh his own. You don't create Landmasses using Sunlight. He was shown to be able to withstand the heat of Lava and to some degree control Lava which was why many people originally believed Groudon was a Fire type when it turned out to be a pure Ground type.

As for Kyogre, it was said to be able to control the seas and create title waves. Rain by itself cannot do that either. While their abilities were sorta close to one another, thier battle abilities were not the reason that they were sought after. They were wanted because of what legends said they could do.

As for Sandstorm and Hail. actually yes they could be used to make new items as Rain and Sunlight were as destructive as Sandstorm and Hail according to the story set in R/S/E. Sandstorm could be used to expand the land by soaking up the moisture of the sea and laying down a foundation (Which when increasing or creating man made islands, you use those giant Jax looking concrete things and surround them with sand to build a base for your island.

You can increase the water level using Hail as hail is frozen water. When it melts it adds to the amount of water that is already present so in that one place you could very well increase the amount of water, still sticking to the original goal just in a meaner way.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • @MiTjA

Yeah they are destructive, but what is interesting about it, is that both of them are. They are different but still contrasting. Like, RSE had "harmless" weather conflicts, while Hail and Sandstorm would actually be dangerous directly.

I thought BW2 would add something deeper to the dragon legends, but its simply the villains abusing the legend to destroy stuff for the sake of it with no intelligent aim.... not like trying to control Groudon and Kyogre was that much smarter anyway.

Again the "main event" would not necessarily have to be in Hoenn, and Hoenn could very well just be on the side, or even just as the postgame area.
    Because a Sandstorm and Hail legend appearing in Sootopolis sounds retarded to me too you know.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Again the "main event" would not necessarily have to be in Hoenn, and Hoenn could very well just be on the side, or even just as the postgame area.
    Because a Sandstorm and Hail legend appearing in Sootopolis sounds retarded to me too you know.

This confirms what I said before that land/water theme is the best for Hoenn. Making Hoenn as side region wouldn't be proper sequel. It would make Hoenn be watered-down like Kanto in G/S/C and HG/SS. Imo Hoenn deserves to be treated better than that which can be done with remakes.

Anyway, making remake and using Hoenn as side region don't cancel each other out. Game Freak doesn't skip chances to get easy money. They can simply remake Hoenn and maybe later use it again in future generations. Kanto was featured in four generation in row, so having Hoenn remade and appearing again in future as side region is possible.

Nineray

Green Okido
    Years
  • I like the idea of remakes but instead this time you should have to visit two regions to complete the main narrative. To me it feels like getting 8 badges is not long enough for me why not 16? But not only that, why not give you the option to join either Team Magma Team Aqua or create your own evil team. Then the evil teams\. Why not give the grunts good Pokemon Poocheyna's and Carvanahs and Numels are waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy to easy to beat give the Pokemon with more variety that are a challenge to defeat. Add more legendary Pokemon to the plot or a side plot if you will. There are so many possibilities that Game Freak has yet to explore that if they did then their sales for the game with the new idea's would explode.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2017
    If we were given oppurtunities to join Magma and Aqua then the world will either die of thirst or drown in floods unless the story ends up with you betraying them and saving the world.

I would like it if the add new concepts to the possible RSE remakes.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    Honestly outside of Firered and Leafgreen I haven't liked the remakes..and even then FR/LG weren't that good. I would just prefer a new region with a new story filled with the pokemon in Hoenn...I know most people won't like this Idea but that's what I would prefer

Years
  • I hadn't even thought of that - it's a great idea!! Regardless of how likely it is I'd love to see it - Hoenn's one of my favourite regions and I'd really enjoy that much depth being added to it :)

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I voted for a Remake instead of a Sequel, but...
    Thinking about it, a Sequel would be better.
    That way, my original Ruby and Emerald would still serve a purpose.

rayan.b

i like cinnamon :)
    Years
  • i chose yes but the only exception would be for ruby and sapphire because i skipped the third generation years ago but i really like the third generation now and i don't feel like playing gameboy

i like cinnamon :)

Back