• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Ruby instead of Firered?

Years
    Hey everyone. I've read that FireRed is the recommend ROM to hack for various reasons. However, there's not much I like about FireRed compared to Ruby other than some of the graphics. Do you think it's safe to hack Ruby instead of FireRed? Ofcourse I know Ruby can be hacked relatively easily aswell. However, I'm not sure if the things I want to do can be done in Ruby. Could you please tell me if these things are possible and give me advice on picking a Rom?

The things I want to do:
    - Add new pokemon, including the fairy type.
    - Add a custom story (atleast partially).
    - Customize Gym leaders.
    - Customize maps (This is very obvious, but I'll mention it anyways)
    - Enlarge existing maps and add new ones aswell.

I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Hey everyone. I've read that FireRed is the recommend ROM to hack for various reasons. However, there's not much I like about FireRed compared to Ruby other than some of the graphics. Do you think it's safe to hack Ruby instead of FireRed? Ofcourse I know Ruby can be hacked relatively easily aswell. However, I'm not sure if the things I want to do can be done in Ruby. Could you please tell me if these things are possible and give me advice on picking a Rom?

The things I want to do:
    - Add new pokemon, including the fairy type.
    - Add a custom story (atleast partially).
    - Customize Gym leaders.
    - Customize maps (This is very obvious, but I'll mention it anyways)
    - Enlarge existing maps and add new ones aswell.

I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance!

All of what you're asking about can be done in Ruby for sure! That being said, Ruby is probably the least popular ROM to hack nowadays, if you'd rather not use FireRed I'd recommend Emerald all the way. It has everything Ruby has but better, and there's much more available to use in terms of resources. =)

Years
    All of what you're asking about can be done in Ruby for sure! That being said, Ruby is probably the least popular ROM to hack nowadays, if you'd rather not use FireRed I'd recommend Emerald all the way. It has everything Ruby has but better, and there's much more available to use in terms of resources. =)

Thanks for your answer! I was mostly worried about adding new pokemon. I've read somewhere that you couldn't do that in Ruby. But since you recommend Emerald I'll just go for that. I've also read that Emerald's memory has the least free space available. Could this be a problem? (considering I want to add the fairy type along with a few pokemon)

Back