• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Ruby or Saphire?

John_123

Pok�mon Trainer
    Years
    I'm sure you guys have proberbly had threads like this one many times before, but im thinking about getting either ruby or saphire and i dont know which one... which would you recommend? Oh, and would it be worth waiting instead for emerald?

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2008
    I'd say wait for Emerald. It comes out in about a week (May 1st). It's worth the wait for the new extras.

John_123

Pok�mon Trainer
    Years
    cool. I'm getting a saphire vibe! I really like that fire pokemon though... the one on the ruby box front cover... dont know wat its called though. Is that the one u can get if u have ruby? What are the new features in emerald? Keeo the posts flowing... Thanks! :P

Years
    I went by which color I liked better, but if you go by pokemon pick sapphire if you like Latias and Kyogre or Ruby if you like Groudon and Latios.

John_123

Pok�mon Trainer
    Years
    coolio... so u can get groudon in ruby only then? What new features is emerald bringing?

Raccoon

Pokeball Muncher
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2010
    Yeah, I'd say wait for Emerald. I own Sapphire, but I might get Emerald too.

MegaDitto

Windsor ™
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    John said:
    I'm sure you guys have proberbly had threads like this one many times before, but im thinking about getting either ruby or saphire and i dont know which one... which would you recommend? Oh, and would it be worth waiting instead for emerald?
    I will just go with Sapphire because I played it first.

Yumecosmos

Village Idiot (and proud!)
    Years
    Well, on Emerald you can get both groudon and kyogre, right? But I think they're harder to get cause they're at a higher level or something...

Between ruby and sapphire, I would say sapphire. Because of Kyogre, and another dumb reason: Sapphire has Lunatone while Ruby has Solrock, and wild lunatone sometimes hold moon stones. Lots of things evolve with a moon stone, but the only thing in sapphire that evolves with a sun stone is bellossom. Besides, you get one of each during the game anyway. So in ruby you can really only get one moon stone without trading from another game, while in sapphire you can get as many as you want (as far as I know). That means in ruby you couldn't really get all the pokemon that are technically "available" cause you couldn't evolve them.
    (Somebody correct me if I'm way off the mark, but that's what I think.)

BTW I don't think groudon is actually a fire type. It does have a lot of fire attacks, tho.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Regirock said:
    not exactly. emerald is the same as ruby and sapphire but with a few changes.

i am just glad you are a sapphire fan because i am too :D

lol!! I already know that, I just meant I like Sapphire same as Emerald even tho emerald is actually better...lol.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    battle fronteir and a lot of cool stuff. you get to catch groudon and kyogre and rayquaza. you can also catch lugia ho oh moltres zapdos articuno. etc
    Sorry to dissapoint you, but you need a special ticket to get Lugia/Ho-oh, and you can't get Moltres/Zapdos/Articuno.

Happy Dude

Queen of the DDC.
    Years
    Ok Regirock let's get a few things sorted out.M'kay Well if you want to complete your pokedex your going to need to get all the games anyway so it doesn't matter just different pokemon each game.

Ok now regirock,

Zapdos,Moltres and Articuno-Are From Fire red/ leaf green you must trade them
    Celebii-There is no way to get him so far exepct for the Jap version of Colloseum.
    Mewtwo-You must trade him from Fire red/ leaf green
    The 3 Dogs-I'm pretty sure you must trade them (i'll check)
    Jirachi-Get him from the pokemon channel (lucky me)

Well yeah all the pokemon that aren't above you can catch in Emerald.

Years
    I picked Ruby because:
    1) My sister was getting Saphire
    2) I rembered in the first games there was a huge over abundance of water pokemon and fire types were rare so I thought Groundon over Kyogre.
    I would just wait for Emerald if I was in your position though. It comes out very soon.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Happy Dude said:
    Ok Regirock let's get a few things sorted out.M'kay Well if you want to complete your pokedex your going to need to get all the games anyway so it doesn't matter just different pokemon each game.

Ok now regirock,

Zapdos,Moltres and Articuno-Are From Fire red/ leaf green you must trade them
    Celebii-There is no way to get him so far exepct for the Jap version of Colloseum.
    Mewtwo-You must trade him from Fire red/ leaf green
    The 3 Dogs-I'm pretty sure you must trade them (i'll check)
    Jirachi-Get him from the pokemon channel (lucky me)

Well yeah all the pokemon that aren't above you can catch in Emerald.
    Thanks for clearing thing up :) But when you mean: "Well yeah all the pokemon that aren't above you can catch in Emerald." You do mean the legendaries not included, right? Since you can't catch all the Pokemon (not even all of the Hoenn Pokemon).

SapphireL

I don't wanna lose your love..
    Years
    Well... I would definetly choose Sapphire over Ruby. The exclusive Pokemon that you can only catch in Sapphire (and must trade to Ruby) are:
    -Kyogre
    -Latias
    -Lotad
    -Lombre
    -Ludicolo
    -Seviper
    -Lunatone
    -Sableye

....yeah. I would wait for Emerald though

Back