• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Run Windows apps in Mac with no emulator?

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Its not like the FBI is going to burst through your Window and take your computer. As long as you bought it I doubt anyone is going to say anything about you installing it something else you own...

Anyone read the TOS here? :/

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    There are reasons why those apps aren't compatible with Mac...

If you're not willing to pay for anything, you're going to have to sacrifice some performability and security.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    There are reasons why those apps aren't compatible with Mac...

If you're not willing to pay for anything, you're going to have to sacrifice some performability and security.

I'm sorry but do you have a clue of what you're talking about?

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    I'm sorry but do you have a clue of what you're talking about?
    Yes. Some Windows Emulators or other programs that allow you to work with Windows-only apps behave like malware or have loopholes that exploit your computer to malware. If you've managed to find a free one that doesn't do either of those things, excellent, but that's a bit unheard of.

j_

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2008
    Yes. Some Windows Emulators or other programs that allow you to work with Windows-only apps behave like malware or have loopholes that exploit your computer to malware. If you've managed to find a free one that doesn't do either of those things, excellent, but that's a bit unheard of.

They're all pretty much based on the linux application WINE. That includes that Crossover Office/Mac and Darwine among others

They don't act like malware, they aren't malware, and we'd certainly like a clarification of "loopholes that exploit your computer to malware". What loopholes do you talk about?

To answer the thread, Crossover Mac is definately what I'd look at getting for the most compatibility. I run the Linux version, and its brilliant. Not perfect, but they don't claim that! Runs Office 2003 without fault.

As for not getting XP of ebay. Exactly, almost 100% chance you're getting a CDR with a stolen key that won't work with updates in the future ;)

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    They're all pretty much based on the linux application WINE. That includes that Crossover Office/Mac and Darwine among others

They don't act like malware, they aren't malware, and we'd certainly like a clarification of "loopholes that exploit your computer to malware". What loopholes do you talk about?

To answer the thread, Crossover Mac is definately what I'd look at getting for the most compatibility. I run the Linux version, and its brilliant. Not perfect, but they don't claim that! Runs Office 2003 without fault.

As for not getting XP of ebay. Exactly, almost 100% chance you're getting a CDR with a stolen key that won't work with updates in the future ;)

i am waiting for a stable version of Darwine, right now I am running advance Map but the windows move on their own ad it crashes a lot.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Yeah, I am planning on making Mac ROM Hacking tools, which would solve your problems as far as the hacking goes.
    The VisualboyAdvance for Mac is seriously outdated, but it works, and I think it has patching problems.
    I wonder if I can ask the group who maintains Visualboy Advance if they could give me the source code for it.
    Heh, Might as well ask...

Last edited:

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    uh, I use something called Parallels Desktop, which is an amazing program that emulates Windows XP and Vista, among other OSes. You do need the installation disk for the OSes to start emulating it, but if you're seriously dedicated to whatever you want to do with your windows emulator, then you should be up for paying the price of the Operating System. If you're not, then why did you get a Macintosh computer in the first place?

Anyways, here's the site for Parallels Desktop: https://www.parallels.com/
    the latest version is 3.0. Although I haven't seen it in stores myself, it costs $80 on the site, plus shipping and handling. You can always pirate it to get it for free, but I read that you didn't want to, so never mind.
    I have to say that you're not gonna find a very good emulator for free. You're probably gonna have to pay for it. But if you just got your iMac, then it should be loaded with Leopard. You do know that Leopard has a feature called Boot Camp, right? It's fairly simple to use, but personally I hate it. I rather use Parallels.

Also, wakachamo, you can use a single Windows Installation Disk on up to five computers legally. :x

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    ^Boot Camp is faster, and makes your Mac an actual Windows machine instead of pretending to be one. Why do you hate it?

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    uh, I use something called Parallels Desktop, which is an amazing program that emulates Windows XP and Vista, among other OSes. You do need the installation disk for the OSes to start emulating it, but if you're seriously dedicated to whatever you want to do with your windows emulator, then you should be up for paying the price of the Operating System. If you're not, then why did you get a Macintosh computer in the first place?

Anyways, here's the site for Parallels Desktop: https://www.parallels.com/
    the latest version is 3.0. Although I haven't seen it in stores myself, it costs $80 on the site, plus shipping and handling. You can always pirate it to get it for free, but I read that you didn't want to, so never mind.
    I have to say that you're not gonna find a very good emulator for free. You're probably gonna have to pay for it. But if you just got your iMac, then it should be loaded with Leopard. You do know that Leopard has a feature called Boot Camp, right? It's fairly simple to use, but personally I hate it. I rather use Parallels.

Also, wakachamo, you can use a single Windows Installation Disk on up to five computers legally. :x

PC doesn't support piracy at all. Just putting that out there for future reference.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Because it makes it strictly Windows. I bought a Macintosh for a reason, and while I'm running Windows, I prefer to not have it the only OS I'm running. With Parallels I can run both OSes at the same time. It's really handy. Parallels has three views. One re-sizable single window, full screen (looks exactly like Boot Camp) and Coherence, which fuses both OSes together. Basically, you can have both Windows and Macintosh apps running on the same full screen. You have both your Dock and the Taskbar, and the Windows Apps have been formatted to fit with Mac's features like Expose and Spaces. Coherence is incredibly handy.

Boot Camp is crap compared to Parallels. Also, I found that Boot Camp screwed up my sound, yet it was fine on my Mac.

PC doesn't support piracy at all. Just putting that out there for future reference.

I never said it did. It's obviously an option. The rules state I can't link to anything illegal. I see no links.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Because it makes it strictly Windows. I bought a Macintosh for a reason, and while I'm running Windows, I prefer to not have it the only OS I'm running. With Parallels I can run both OSes at the same time. It's really handy. Parallels has three views. One re-sizable single window, full screen (looks exactly like Boot Camp) and Coherence, which fuses both OSes together. Basically, you can have both Windows and Macintosh apps running on the same full screen. You have both your Dock and the Taskbar, and the Windows Apps have been formatted to fit with Mac's features like Expose and Spaces. Coherence is incredibly handy.

Boot Camp is crap compared to Parallels. Also, I found that Boot Camp screwed up my sound, yet it was fine on my Mac.

I never said it did. It's obviously an option. The rules state I can't link to anything illegal. I see no links.

Yeah, you don't need to explain to me how Parallels works. I just don't like it too much because obviously the disadvantage of it is that performance-heavy applications really shouldn't run on an environment like that.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Let's keep it that way then.

Wow, what the hell? Do you just assume that if I talk about it I'm going to start linking to torrent sites and whatnot? I've been here for nearly two years and haven't done that once. Don't talk to me like you know what I'm about.

Yeah, you don't need to explain to me how Parallels works. I just don't like it too much because obviously the disadvantage of it is that performance-heavy applications really shouldn't run on an environment like that.

I'm not too sure what you mean by performance-heavy, but.. I've been using it for nearly a month and it's done my computer no harm. ._.;

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Wow, what the hell? Do you just assume that if I talk about it I'm going to start linking to torrent sites and whatnot? I've been here for nearly two years and haven't done that once. Don't talk to me like you know what I'm about.

I'm not too sure what you mean by performance-heavy, but.. I've been using it for nearly a month and it's done my computer no harm. ._.;

Oh, let me see... Uh... games?! Maybe we could start from there.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Oh, let me see... Uh... games?! Maybe we could start from there.

Sure, okay. I was playing The Sims 2 with a couple expansion packs added onto it, and it was running perfectly fine, not slowing down my computer at all.

Tone down the attitude, buddy. Not everyone's a game-addict.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Sure, okay. I was playing The Sims 2 with a couple expansion packs added onto it, and it was running perfectly fine, not slowing down my computer at all.

Tone down the attitude, buddy. Not everyone's a game-addict.

Don't tell me to tone down my attitude, "buddy". You're no staffer yourself to give off orders like that to people anymore.

Do you have a problem with the fact that I'm a gamer? You act like you don't know me.

I'd like to see you run something like Bioshock on that thing at full res. Then we'll talk.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Don't tell me to tone down my attitude, "buddy". You're no staffer yourself to give off orders like that to people anymore.

Do you have a problem with the fact that I'm a gamer? You act like you don't know me.

I'd like to see you run something like Bioshock on that thing at full res. Then we'll talk.

Uh, I don't need to be staff to tell you to tone down the attitude. It's just common courtesy to not act like an ass with people.

Never said I did. Many of my friends are gamers.

Dude, if all you want out of a computer is games, then you just shouldn't buy a Macintosh at all in the first place. It's perfectly well-known that Windows computers are much better for games. I don't game, I'm much more into media, which is why I got a Mac. I got Parallels to run any apps I can't run on Macintosh if ever I need them.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    OK everybody, i am editing maps succesfully in Darwine on Advance map and that is about all I can do as of now :) But its a step ;)

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011

Huh...? Maybe it's just the particular software that I tried to use.

Back