• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Salt or pepper?

Years
    When eating my food, I don't use either.

When I am cooking, I season my food with salt and/or pepper, depending on what I am actually cooking. If you have cooked something correctly, you won't need to add anything else. All you are doing is masking the actual taste by putting salt/pepper on top; it is a sign of a bad cook, not to mention having a lot of salt is unhealthy.

And for anyone being clever and saying I have contradicting myself, when you season, for example, meat when cooking, the salt/pepper fuses with what ever you are cooking to maximise the taste, instead of just dumping a layer of it on top of the food when it has been cooked.

Years
    I prefer both, but if I had to only use one, probably salt. Just for my potato products; I need salt on them otherwise I go nuts. Amazingly I don't use seasonings that much... usually if I do, it's on the food I made. I really am an awful cook, lol.

I used to have a bad habit of dumping red pepper flakes on everything. It drove my sister nuts. I grew out of that, though. ...for the most part. I still do sometimes for spaghetti, and always on my pizza.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    To be honest I don't use either salt or pepper very often...and if I do, I only use them on blander foods.

Salt doesn't go great on anything that's cooked enough with it...and pepper is great, but not on everything...it tends to only lend the best flavor to things that are otherwise too tasteless or bland for salt to be able to bring any flavor out.

I dont like things that are too salty, so usually salt is the last thing I reach for unless they totally left ALL the salt out of something.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Neither. I love spicy foods, but I don't use pepper to make them spicy. And I don't use a lot of salt. What I eat and cook I don't add any salt into it. It is pointless.

Captain Fabio said:
    When eating my food, I don't use either.

When I am cooking, I season my food with salt and/or pepper, depending on what I am actually cooking. If you have cooked something correctly, you won't need to add anything else. All you are doing is masking the actual taste by putting salt/pepper on top; it is a sign of a bad cook, not to mention having a lot of salt is unhealthy.

And for anyone being clever and saying I have contradicting myself, when you season, for example, meat when cooking, the salt/pepper fuses with what ever you are cooking to maximize the taste, instead of just dumping a layer of it on top of the food when it has been cooked.
    I totally agree with this post. I think the same way as you do about eating the food. Cooking it, I still don't use salt and pepper. I use like Ms. Dash or other spices other than pepper and salt. But this post rings true. I wish everyone don't need salt while they eat the food. That is why a lot of people have high blood pressure.

Last edited:

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    I dislike pepper for some reason... Even though I like spicy.
    I prefer salt. If I don't eat salt, everything tastes bitter.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    Spoiler:

:D

Either NaCl alone or both NaCl and pepper. Not pepper alone, it's too spicy for me.
    Between those two, I prefer salt.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Depends on the food? :P

But I guess I mostly put both + garlic, and w.e is the seasoning. mccormiks? montreal steak seasoning. on pretty much anyfood. some i try now to cause its a weird taste

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Pepper.

In terms of the defacto "salt and pepper", I won't add salt if something is already salty (like, say, a Greek salad with feta cheese). But, I haven't encountered something being overly peppered beforehand

Back