• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Saving on a Flash Cart?

Jcool

Stellar
Years
  • I have a SuperCard MiniSD, and saving my Fire Red hack does not seem to work. I get the "Save failed, checking backup memory message". Trying to save a clean fire red rom gives me the same message.
    Oddly enough, trying to save certain various rom hacks I've patched to the same fire red rom (like Pokemon Cyan), do work. I can use the in-game save feature fine without running into that error window. I know I can remedy this problem by using the flash cart's real time save feature, but it would still be nice to not have that annoyance. I don't get this error in VBA.

Any ideas? The Save fix floating around the Research/Development section also did not fix this problem. Neither did the patches/fixes in the GBATA program.

EDIT: Turns out some other Fire Red rom hacks don't work quite as well as I thought. This time the game prompts me to save over a previous file (even though there isn't one) and when I select yes to do so, it gives a message in game that says "Save error. Please exchange the backup memory." Ruby hacks do not have this problem as much. I've also noticed that it seems like the save patcher with the SuperCard program is not working on Fire Red roms, because there are button combinations you are able to press in game to access the save or real-time save features, but pressing that combination doesn't bring up that window. In Ruby, though, it does. Not sure if this is a problem with the flash cart I have and other GBA carts don't do this, but it is definitely a problem that plagues Fire Red hacks.

Last edited:

Jcool

Stellar
    Years
  • Could be checksums. Find the function that calculates checksum and make it always return one value.

Could you give me a bit more direction to do this? I'm on the Bulbapedia page about Gen 3 data structures, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. It looks to me like the checksum function for saving is at 0x0FF6. Is there a program to view all the assembly code in the game?

Years
  • Could you give me a bit more direction to do this? I'm on the Bulbapedia page about Gen 3 data structures, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. It looks to me like the checksum function for saving is at 0x0FF6. Is there a program to view all the assembly code in the game?

Yeah, it's IDA. If you're hacking FR, check Knizz's signature, it contains FR database. I'm not a FR hacker, so I don't know the location of this function in that game.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2021
    Could you give me a bit more direction to do this? I'm on the Bulbapedia page about Gen 3 data structures, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. It looks to me like the checksum function for saving is at 0x0FF6. Is there a program to view all the assembly code in the game?

Did you find any solution? I have the exact same problem here. Pokemon Emerald works normal, I can create the save in VBA and use it in Emerald with a supercard, the opposite also works.

Back