• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scariest places in games?

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    People are always saying that Silent Hill is so scary. It's just a bunch of nonsense based around out outmoded psychoanalytic theories.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Yes, but most people don't think about psychoanalytic theories when playing video games! ;_;

Anyway, I have one.

Maintenance Areas - Portal
    The parts before, the Test Chambers, they're nice and stuff, but once you get into the dark, grimy, maintenance chambers with words written in blood along the walls, it gets very, very creepy. There's no BGM to speak of, just a bit of whistling in the background and creepy long single notes as you clank along the hard steel floor. It is really, really, creepy, especially when you're playing late at night. The little alcoves with "the cake is a lie" don't help.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    The Tower of Latria and the Valley of Defilement on Demon's Souls. The whole game feels pretty lonely and depressing already, but it honestly gets scary when the only things that break the silence are the moans of the prisoners. It doesn't help in 3-2 when you see mutated bugs. The Valley of Defilement, being the place where everything disgusting goes, isn't much better either. The last part of the level is the dumping ground for aborted babies, and you have to fight(you guessed it)babies.

The mansion in Final Fantasy VII gets an honorable mention for creeping me out when I was a kid, but it doesn't work as much anymore.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    There's this one extremely long hallway in Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon that made me seriously start to bug out. It's like a mile underground and when I say it's long, I mean it. It's shortly after you receive a UV flashlight, so the entire way down there's writing on the walls saying stuff like "it's behind me... it's watching me..." or "I can see it... it's coming for me." Did I mention music doesn't play in this hallway, unless you encounter the enemies? And then that eerily loud piano chimes in and the Wiimote starts moaning... -shudders-

TL;DR: Fragile Dreams may be a girly, watered-down version of Silent Hill, but the moment you let your guard down it messes with you. A lot.

And one last thing: Grass Town in Cave Story. That one abandoned house. It's totally silent and then A GIANT RABBID BUNNY BURSTS OUT OF THE CLOSET OMGWTFBBQ.

Edit: Can't believe I didn't include this. That damn Sunken Ship in Okami. And the original Ruins of Alph in Pokemon G/S/C the moment you decide to turn on the radio. Bricks will be excreted.

Last edited:

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    What? Nobody mentioned Sacred Underworld and Warcraft 3?
    I guess I will do it myself... Sigh...
    You might regard this as "omg your jsut afaraid", but trust me. I've been there, done that.

Sacred Underworld
    :
    -Baroness Vilya of Mascarell's underground bath, which is filled by Tormented Souls and Spectre, which makes us think that Baroness Vilya isn't as innocent as she seemed to be...
    -Southern Desert of Ancaria, on which your quest guide you to, is filled with Skeletons and Ghouls AND Zombies. It's not really scary on daylight with proper armaments and no quest. But I gone there at afternoon, Normal-Leveled Gear, and on a part of a Quest to save the entire Ancaria from a friggin' 20-Feet Tall Demon, which includes *SPOILER*Bringing water to a dying Valorian Soldier that dies after you gave the water*SPOILER*. Gawd.
    -Basically every Catacombs/Graveyard in Ancaria.
    -And the entire Underworld in the expansion. Hurray for Ascaron!

Warcraft 3:
    -Stratholme post-massacre. Burning pi(l)e of skeleton and people throwing more corpses there... *shivers*
    Yes. I know that Warcraft 3's style is kinda cartoony but just imagine if that place is real. And you are there. And you witness the massacre. You will crap brix.
    -Winterspring Prisons. It's basically just a prison. In the middle of a snowy plains. Guarded by Druids and Owlbears. Holding a criminal that nearly destroyed the world because of his ways to save a mah-faggin' magically blessed gigantic tree. Yeah. Just that.
    -Corrupted Felwood. I feel sorry for everything that live in it.
    -Dalaran Prisons. An Underground Prison filled with unfinished test subjects and trapped undeads. Yeah.

Last edited:

Lickitricky

Avast, ye scurvy dogs!
    Years
    Let's see, there are a couple~

-Lapis Cave in Red Rescue Team. It wasn't so much because of the dungeon, it was because I had about 50 people chasing me RIGHT behind me and who wanted to kill me.
    -Shimmer Desert in Explorers of Time. Why? Because everytime I took a step forward, my heart pounded in fear of getting Earth Power'd by EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE FREAKING NIDOQUEENS IN THERE.
    -The tower in each of the Pokemon Generations where people mourn dead Pokemon. It gives me the heebyjeebies :(
    -As Sydian said: RedDeads from Ocarina of Time. The no-skin thing and the crawling up on you and strangling you wasn't very peaceful. And the piercing screams didn't help either.
    -The Dragon boss in Twilight Princess's City in the Sky. Let's see, I have to point my hand at the screen and climb these huge towers. OH, and this gigantic dragon is trying to kill me. So if I miss, it steps on me, and if I take to long to stop my hand from shaking like crazy, it torches me. It was just this whole cycle of missing because my hand shakes, then it hurts me, which scares me even more, thus making my hand shake more. And then, I have to avoid its spiraling flamethrower by repeatedly grappling on these floating pineapples about 90 yards above the ground. To tie it all together? A raging thunderstorm along with some really scary music.
    For a split second, I legitimately thought I would pee myself.
    -Wallmasters. Enough said.
    -When I was little, I was really, really scared of that shark that chases you if you wander too far off into the water in Treasure Trove Cove during Banjo-Kazooie D:

Cynic Kaka

Credentials.
    Years
    Oh god. Don't even get me started.

Fallout 3: - Dunwich Building
    I know that there are plenty of locations in Fallout 3 with Feral Ghouls, but this one really does it for me. I crapped myself the first time I went through this building.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
    There's no location for this one, as it's kinda different. But every time the Nemesis shows up, I get really quaky and scared as hell.

LoZ: Twilight Princess: - Arbiter's Grounds
    This one kinda scares me. As I remember, there are alot of Redeads, Stalfos and Staltroops and the atmosphere really gets to me. The music is pretty creepy too.

The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion: - Sancre Tor
    This one's part of the main quest, but this dungeon also gets to me. It's really dark, there's a ton of ghosts and other nonsense and the atmosphere really gets to me. And whenever I hear the combat music come on, my heart starts racing

I could post more, but I won't.

For Oblivion, I got the Fin Gleam for caves.

Back