• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

School In Singapore Wastes S$40,000 After H.I.V. Outcry

eX.A.K.R.

Slow Periods.
    Years
    (Note: sorry if this shouldn't be in here. Moderators may feel free to lock this thread if they see this thread unsuitable.)

I just came across this article on one of my local newspaper's online portal, about how a school pratically wasted S$40,000 (US$23,600 approx., ?19,750 approx., ?13,350 approx.) just because the parents of the children going to that school made a grand fuss all out of a simple misunderstanding and ignorance of how H.I.V. (Human immunodeficiency virus, the virus that causes Aids) spreads. The original article can be read here. In my opinion, the school should not have spent any of that money and should have instead made those parents learn the correct facts about H.I.V.. The parents are all getting their facts about H.I.V. wrong - H.I.V. CANNOT be spread through conventional means - only direct contact with a H.I.V. positive person can spread it, such as direct contact with infected blood or certain body liquids. Worse still, all of this began just because the parents made the blanket assumption that all homosexuals are definitely H.I.V. positive (the controversy centred around a teacher who was a homosexual). Yes, being a homosexual rises your chance of contacting H.I.V., but that doesn't mean that all homosexuals are H.I.V. positive. Besides (and even worse still), nobody knew whether that teacher was really H.I.V. positive or not. But, thanks to ignorance, large amounts of money are spent replacing working furniture and teaching aids, and on needless refurbishing of the school building. What is the message are we trying to spread? Are we going to convey the wrong message, and make people think that the beliefs held by the parents are right? Are we going to make an already misunderstood group of people even more misunderstood here?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    God! Can you get anymore ignorant? I mean... surely the school itself would realise that the garbage that spews out of these idiots' mouths is false? I mean... it's just ridiculous! I'm just shocked and appauled...seriously!

And don't worry, it does go here, and it's DEFINITELY suitable.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    eX.A.K.R. said:
    (Note: sorry if this shouldn't be in here. Moderators may feel free to lock this thread if they see this thread unsuitable.)

I just came across this article on one of my local newspaper's online portal, about how a school pratically wasted S$40,000 (US$23,600 approx., ?19,750 approx., ?13,350 approx.) just because the parents of the children going to that school made a grand fuss all out of a simple misunderstanding and ignorance of how H.I.V. (Human immunodeficiency virus, the virus that causes Aids) spreads. The original article can be read here. In my opinion, the school should not have spent any of that money and should have instead made those parents learn the correct facts about H.I.V.. The parents are all getting their facts about H.I.V. wrong - H.I.V. CANNOT be spread through conventional means - only direct contact with a H.I.V. positive person can spread it, such as direct contact with infected blood or certain body liquids. Worse still, all of this began just because the parents made the blanket assumption that all homosexuals are definitely H.I.V. positive (the controversy centred around a teacher who was a homosexual). Yes, being a homosexual rises your chance of contacting H.I.V., but that doesn't mean that all homosexuals are H.I.V. positive. Besides (and even worse still), nobody knew whether that teacher was really H.I.V. positive or not. But, thanks to ignorance, large amounts of money are spent replacing working furniture and teaching aids, and on needless refurbishing of the school building. What is the message are we trying to spread? Are we going to convey the wrong message, and make people think that the beliefs held by the parents are right? Are we going to make an already misunderstood group of people even more misunderstood here?

Well, I think it's that a lot of parents are set in their ways. You're right, what was shown here is blind ignorance. The parents think they know the absolute truth of the matter, when they probably couldn't be further from the truth. Having spent all that money seems like a waste when it could have gone to making the school better. I think that if the parents keep thinking this, they're going to pass it on to their children and their children will be just as ignorant to pure fact as the parents are right now.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    It's not a matter of the parents intentionally thinking that all gay people carry HIV and that it is easily communicable...if they all assumed the same thing, then it's reasonable to assess that it's common misinformation among the populace. Even if it was misguided and costly, I'm not horrified at it. If I believed that my child's school was crawling with AIDS, I would want changes as well, even if what I thought turned out to be very wrong.

I've got a feeling that every other reply to this thread is going to be to the effect of "D1scr1m1nationz!!!!!1", though =/

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    Oookay... those parents defiantly need to be more well informed. Though this does remind me that when AIDS first broke out in homosexuals, some people thought that it was punishment inflicted upon them from the heavens... o.O; They dropped that thought once straight people got it though. O.O;

THat school is stupid also. o.o;

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    First of all, I love you for posting something so serious and worthwhile in OC. It certainly needs a higher intelligence factor like that of this thread. :O Kudos.

That said... I can't really think of anything to start this out other than Oh. My. God. I can't stand how ignorant people can be. Now then, it pains me to see how stupid some people can be... and again, it just serves as a reminder that not all adults are sensible or even, well, smart. Really, I feel bad for the school. From the sounds of it, it's fairly small and it wouldn't be able to function without mostly every family whose child(ren) attend(s) it. It doesn't seem like they had much of a choice in the matter if they wanted to continue running. However... I think a better option would have been to make all the parents who wanted a renovation to raise and collect the funds for it themselves. That way, the school could still run on their normal budget and any family who isn't stupid enough to believe aged rumours about HIV doesn't have to contribute to it.

Alas, it's too late now. But really, if this is a school for challenged children... shouldn't their parents be MUCH better informed? Like, if I had a family member or child who was mentally disabled... I would certainly look up all the facts. I'd get to know about it. In doing that, one would expect that the parents and families of the children would be wary of information and do the research before making obscene accusations and whatnot. Just... ugh.

Mm... I had one more thing. >.o; What was it? Oh, yes. Really, the only thing the parents should have been complaining about was the man's history. No, not his sexuality, but his criminal record which... well, wasn't amazingly grotesque or anything to begin with. @@;

eX.A.K.R.

Slow Periods.
    Years
    I personally feel that the school should not have spent any of that S$40,000 on the renovations, as I feel that doing so could have spread the wrong message. They should have not done anything, and educate the parents the correct facts. If the parents are still worried and want to pull their children out, fine. In the end, the losers are the parents and their children themselves, as they will need to hassle to find another school, their children are deprived and have to suffer the shock of a new environment, which will definitely degrade their ability to learn. And what if the new school is further away from their homes than the old one? They will have to spend more on transport costs, and high oil prices are not helping that either >.< .

But since the damage has been done, and the money needlessly splurged, what I suggest the school do now is to make the parents pay the price of ignorance. Literally. They should raise the school fees so they can get back what they wasted, and they should also make a concerted effort to educate the parents (through a third party). They must repair and correct the damage they have done by reiterating the truth, and correct any misconceptions the parents have about homosexuals and H.I.V..

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I guess the staff in ceratin schools dont know the facts of HIV and practically waste money because of it.

eX.A.K.R.

Slow Periods.
    Years
    Overlord IX said:
    I guess the staff in ceratin schools dont know the facts of HIV and practically waste money because of it.
    Well, actually, they do, but they were pressured into wasting the money because of the clueless parents.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    You have to give the head of the school (or whoever was quoted in the article--too lazy to go back and check at the moment) credit for publicly stating that they will not hesitate to hire another homosexual person if one fits the job. o.o Most schools would be completely deterred from that after a situation such as this one, but as least they're still heading in the right direction from that viewpoint. @_@

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    Very ignorant. I can understand their concern, but it was pretty silly of the school to waste that much. Although, like Kaga said, if I thought my kid's school was crawling with AIDS, I'd pull them out straight away. I used to have a terrible phobia of AIDS from simple misinformation, and I was frightened of just about every public place for that. Then when I discovered it's not that easy to contract HIV unless you're having unsafe sex or using other people's at-risk items, like syringes.
    Also, actually, it's more common in heterosexuals now, I think...
    "Omg, omg, nearly everyone at my kid's school is straight! Even my kid is! Ho no, they all have HIV!"
    Simple prejudice. And it disgusts me. It's like all-drug-users-have-Hep-C. Not true.

Last edited:

Black Lotus

AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!
    Years

To get HIV from a homosexual is not more or less unlikely than what in heterosexual relationships, IF you use a condom. But Kylie-chan, you're incorrect with that "it's more common with heterosexuals nowadays", because it is more common in homosexuals and it spreads faster in the population of the homosexual people, due to some facts about gay sex, but I don't really want to go there around these forums. I read this in a newspaper they publish here in Finland.

Back