• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Schools and Law Enforcement/Security

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    Evidence being that multiple people repeatedly point out why pushing cops in schools is an awful idea, and you simply coming back with retorts about "what if this."

And yes, that's kind of the point. My sources weren't biased. They look at all sides of things, but the point still stands.

It's an opinion I disagree with. The what if is to try and point out that your position only works if students cooperate. Teachers have been restricted to not put hands on students and the students know that. SROs don't have that restriction.

SROs can be beneficial. While some students do get arrested for stupid crap, others get arrested for legitimate reasons. Schools with SROs showed a drop in assault and possession of weapons arrests. Wouldn't you call that a benefit?

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    The tradeoff, IMO, isn't good at all. It makes kids feel unsafe, literal *children* get arrested for doing literal children activities like bickering and picking fights, POC students are heavily targeted, etc. The drop in assault is due to student's fear of being assaulted (beaten brutally, tazed, etc) themselves, most likely.

"It's just kids being kids" is a great way to excuse bullying, sexual harassment and assaults.

If the presence of SROs prevent students from assaulting other students or teachers or keep them from bringing weapons to schools, I'd consider that a good outcome.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    If having a cop at a school provides both a positive effect and a negative one, wouldn't the thing to do be to work on fixing the problems so the negative part can be eliminated while still keeping the beneficial part, unless there's some alternative solution that provides the same benefit without the issues?

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    If having a cop at a school provides both a positive effect and a negative one, wouldn't the thing to do be to work on fixing the problems so the negative part can be eliminated while still keeping the beneficial part, unless there's some alternative solution that provides the same benefit without the issues?

Yep. Then comes the issue of defining the problem. Is it overbearing cops or students misbehaving to the point that SROs are called? Or is it an over reliance on SROs? Are students really afraid of being beat down by cops or is it they're afraid of being arrested for legitimate issues? How prevalent are SRO "beat downs"?

Years
  • For what it's worth, one of the High Schools I went to had their own security faculty that was always present on campus, with cops patrolling the neighborhood AROUND the campus during school hours without being in it, as to not cause, shall we say, "disruption". Most cases, we never needed the police, but there was one incident where a threat with a weapon was involved, and since the cops were real close to the school, the response time was quick. In every other scenario, the security staff was more than competent enough to handle most situations, like having to drag some kid who's acting out of pocket out of class.

Now obviously there are a bunch of factors to consider, such as what kind of neighborhood the school is in, but I feel like in my school's case, it was a good middle ground, since students didn't have to worry about that sort of tension that might or might not come with having a cop on campus, especially considering the public opinion of police from anyone around that age range. And if the police WERE needed, they were right there in the vicinity.

Last edited:
    Back