• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scripting, Mapping, or Spriting?

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Well, I guess I'm about average at mapping...
    I have no talent at spriting whatsoever. I can do pixel-overs, but that's about it.
    I like to think that I'm pretty good at scripting, but everyone else is way better than me. (glares at thethethethe)

So I guess I'll have to go with the fourth option that I just made up. Storyline writing!

Seriously. I love writing long, complicated, and detailed storylines.

Well, I saw that you are making a hack, and helping at some. Your scripting seems good, and you have enough knowledge in that.

Did you start by looking at thethethethe's tutorial?

Geeked

Pokemon Crimson Version
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2012
    Scripting is my strong point.. Although I used to hate doing it until XSE was released! It truly gave me a whole new Scripting experience!
    Scripting is VERY important! Which is one of the main reasons I made it my strong point.. What good is a hack with a bunch of text edits?!
    Everyone who's begging for scripting please go out and learn for yourself, there's plenty of tutorials to learn the basics & Advances.. That's how most of us learned o.O

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Well, I saw that you are making a hack, and helping at some. Your scripting seems good, and you have enough knowledge in that.

Did you start by looking at thethethethe's tutorial?

Yeah. I actually think I memorized half of it.. -_-"

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Well... I would have to say I'm best at scripting, because in my opinion, it makes up a hack, as well as mapping, which is my second strongest hacking skill, but someone could fully rescript Firered and make it a greater game with just scripting, I want to learn how to sprite, which is why I consider myself an all-around hacker.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Well... I would have to say I'm best at scripting, because in my opinion, it makes up a hack, as well as mapping, which is my second strongest hacking skill, but someone could fully rescript Firered and make it a greater game with just scripting, I want to learn how to sprite, which is why I consider myself an all-around hacker.

Seems you are a well experienced hacker, if you have all these aspects of hacking. Good luck on learning Spriting.

Scripting is my strong point.. Although I used to hate doing it until XSE was released! It truly gave me a whole new Scripting experience!
    Scripting is VERY important! Which is one of the main reasons I made it my strong point.. What good is a hack with a bunch of text edits?!
    Everyone who's begging for scripting please go out and learn for yourself, there's plenty of tutorials to learn the basics & Advances.. That's how most of us learned o.O

Yes, I also think scripting is the most important aspect of hacking. However, XSE is the best script editor now, but I use Pokescript, and it works perfectly fine ;)

Geeked

Pokemon Crimson Version
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2012
    Seems you are a well experienced hacker, if you have all these aspects of hacking. Good luck on learning Spriting.

Yes, I also think scripting is the most important aspect of hacking. However, XSE is the best script editor now, but I use Pokescript, and it works perfectly fine ;)

Yea, Alot of Veteran Pokescripters still use it.. I think it's mostly Beginners, and people who never really got fond of Pokescript who use XSE

Teddiursa™

Never Give up
    Years
  • Yer

My strongest skill is Mapping and Scripting.
    My mapping, was inspired by, people like, Neti, and hacks
    like Liquid Ocean. I play them, and I just look and say WOW!
    So my maps started to get bigger, and better. Then I eventualy learned
    Tile Inserting.. but thats not one of my strongest..
    Anyway same thing with Scripting. I get inspired to make better and
    Bigger scripts.. By people like Zel, and hacks like Liquid Ocean.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • I would say mapping. Though I really want to be a scripter so that I can have some screenies done for my hack PJA, but then I really couldn't do it. Firstly, those scripting programs don't work for me, and I don't know how to script. As for spriting, I only know OW spriting, but nothing else... I CAN do pixel-overs and stuff, but...

When I first heard of hacking, I tried my skills on mapping, which was the easiest thing to do, and realised it was quite fun. So now I am developing my skills on it, so to make BIGGER, better maps.

wingzro17

......................... .....
    Years
  • Mine would be scripting.
    I love making text(even though I suck at wording)and movement.
    I would say movement is the best part of scripting.

When I first saw movement scripts on a tutorial, I totally loved them. And when I got them to work,
    oh boy!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well considering I'm quite new to hacking I haven't really found a strong point yet. I've been doing bits and pieces and having fun with it. But I would have to say Ifind mapping the most fun in the short period and I've taken a bit of a shine to it. It's just fun to kind of make some maps in relation to some real life cities.

Anyway I've done a bit of pixel work in the past but I'm not going to say it's my strength.

Stacey_Sydystik

Zeikku's Girlfriend
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2008
    I'm a better spriter and mapper, my styles similar to zeikku's, seeing as he taught me what he knows. :)

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    My strongest skill would be mapping. Scripting is also good but to me I prefer to chose that I map better. Besides maps are easier to make. Scripting is boring to me XD. I don't know much about spriting. I can do little of that.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    My strongest skill would be mapping. Scripting is also good but to me I prefer to chose that I map better. Besides maps are easier to make. Scripting is boring to me XD. I don't know much about spriting. I can do little of that.

I see you're back into ROM hacking, huh? I saw you're work a while ago, and you are good at both scripting, and mapping. :D

pokefreak2

I can't believe you read this
    Years
    my strongest skill is scripting thanks to thethethethe and punkrocker
    also seth the rom master i use both xse and pokescript pokescript yes\no
    never works for me only for xse

i really suck at spriting and mapping but i remember when i use to muck around with
    a map and ove but thanks to everyone who made hacking programs

wolverfrog

Working on a Hack
    Years
  • My speciality is scripting. I first discovered this site through rumors of a remake of pokemon gold. When followed up, i found out this was Pokemon shiny gold made by Zel, and it is awsome.
    This inspired me to want to learn to hack. However, i couldn't understand mapping albeit to a basic level, and sprites lost me.
    When i looked at Teh Blazikens scripting school however, i found it easy enough to do once you got the hang of it.
    I am now currently developing a hack.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Well I've posted before, but now I've returned to ROM Hacking I'm changed a bit.

My best skill is scripting.
    My sprites suck, but I'm very good at changing the sprite palettes so they look similar when used in a ROM with different palettes.

Last edited:

waterninja7

Pokemon Rom Hacker
    Years
  • Oh, that is an amazingly simple answer. Definately mapping for me. Its fun to create new towns and layouts! I just plain suck with scripting and Im O.K. at spriting but it gets boring at times.

EX of how much I suck at scripting: My game automatically went into my bag and threw a pokeball at Gary's starter. O_o

Back