• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Secret Project: Operation Superstar

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
  • Operation Superstar

Hi, I'm Ravecat.
    You might remember my projects Pokémon Reef, or Lime.
    Myself and another user, namely Kay3o, have come up with something we see as very interesting.
    We think this will appeal to you.

What SP:OS will feature:
    • A side-view battle system!
    • Relatively-sized Pokémon in battle! (Huge Pokémon!)
    • An great, colourful art style!
    • Huge, atmospheric landscapes!
    • An interesting, innovative story!
    • A set of almost 100 new Pokémon!
    • Intricate weather system!

What we have:
    • Artists ready to produce fine pieces!
    • Writers ready to write and produce!
    • Musicians ready to compose tracks!

What we need:
    • Someone who can script!

So, does this sound interesting to you? Do you have Ruby scripting experience?
    Contact me through PM!

Sound interesting, but you don't script? This is a feedback thread more than anything.
    Leave us some comments on what we've revealed so far!

~

GRAPHICS:

Early form of the overworld style. More comings soon!
    W.I.P: WILL REVEAL WHEN FINISHED

MOCKUPS:

Early mock-up for the battle system!
    W.I.P: WILL REVEAL WHEN FINISHED

POKéMON BATTLE!
    Selecting your move:

Choosing your attack:

Attacking:

NOT FINAL: Attack effects, Background.

Last edited:

Sero

私はセクシーです
    Years
  • Uhhhhh. You need a post a story and some screenshots. This game doesnt appeal to me right now because i have no clue what its about.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Well we were hoping the feature-list would appeal to people and generate interest until I get some mockups/various art up later tonight or tomorrow.

Sero

私はセクシーです
    Years
  • Well a game could have the best graphics etc. in the world but if the story and stuff is crap, who would play it? And anyone can say they have an awesome story. I'm not saying that your game is crap or anything.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • We have a story, but like the graphics we don't want to rush to release it until it's fine-tuned.

But don't worry, this thread will have more content very soon.

Years
  • Someone didn't want to sprite backshots? |D That's fine with me, really. Keep in mind some Pokemon are asymmetrical, though, so mirroring won't work in your side-view system.

I really liked Pokemon Reef, it's a shame that it's discontinued, but I like what I see so far! However, stills and silhouettes aren't much to go by, so I hope you'll present something more concrete soon. Good luck!

Years
  • Well, as interesting as the teasers look, considering that you're looking for coders, it's more than likely they're just concepts, and not in-game shots, which is a shame. Still, this does look promising, but giving us nothing is, well, ridiculous. I appreciate you're trying to entice us with the promise of more goodies, but there needs to be something to start with. Currently, this could be a terrible game with no plot and some poorly sprited heroes. Throw us a bone, guys!

Oh, I'd also recommend building a new system in C++ or something if you're going for such different features. Wichu has already begun one, and with a little work could fit this nicely. Just an idea.

kay3o

B)
    Years
  • Well, as interesting as the teasers look, considering that you're looking for coders, it's more than likely they're just concepts, and not in-game shots, which is a shame. Still, this does look promising, but giving us nothing is, well, ridiculous. I appreciate you're trying to entice us with the promise of more goodies, but there needs to be something to start with. Currently, this could be a terrible game with no plot and some poorly sprited heroes. Throw us a bone, guys!

We've given you silhouette's and remember this thread is still only in the drawing board. We'll be getting out more updates soon, but at this time you've gotta stay positive and hopefully believe us (with past work in mind) that its not going
    'terrible game with no plot and some poorly sprited heroes.' :P

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Someone didn't want to sprite backshots? |D That's fine with me, really. Keep in mind some Pokemon are asymmetrical, though, so mirroring won't work in your side-view system.

I really liked Pokemon Reef, it's a shame that it's discontinued, but I like what I see so far! However, stills and silhouettes aren't much to go by, so I hope you'll present something more concrete soon. Good luck!
    Well, it's not that we wouldn't like to do back-sprites, as much as that we want to try something different.
    It'll actually be considerably more work. Although, 90% of Pokémon featured in this game will be new; not all classic Pokémon will be obtainable in the first release, if at all.

Well, as interesting as the teasers look, considering that you're looking for coders, it's more than likely they're just concepts, and not in-game shots, which is a shame. Still, this does look promising, but giving us nothing is, well, ridiculous. I appreciate you're trying to entice us with the promise of more goodies, but there needs to be something to start with. Currently, this could be a terrible game with no plot and some poorly sprited heroes. Throw us a bone, guys!

Oh, I'd also recommend building a new system in C++ or something if you're going for such different features. Wichu has already begun one, and with a little work could fit this nicely. Just an idea.
    While I would like to work with something as versatile as C++, I have next to no experience in it and quite frankly do not have the time at hand to learn.
    This is why I like RPG Maker, I can devote a little bit of time to the game here and there, and still get something shaping up.

Also, you should remember that this is not The Showcase, this is The Drawing Board. We are simply sharing our ideas at this point, that includes mockups and soon a story. This is to get people interested, who can help us with some discussion and then we will post in Showcase. That thread will have screenshots, plot, etc.

Last edited:
    Years
  • To be honest, the side-view battle system really isn't that unique. I've planned on using something like it in a previous fangame that was still in the script development cycle before (even though that project was canned for my current, non-Pokémon one). I'm also sure that some developers here have experimented thought of it before as well, in addition to Satoshi Tajiri himself (some sketches of it were made in some really old concept art for Red/Green).

But really, to truly attract my attention, you'll need a bit more than a few silhouettes and mock-ups. Right now, to me, you have nothing. Promises are nothing but empty until proven otherwise, so get to it. Prove to me you have a great art style, and an innovative story.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Quite the negative nancy there, aren't ya.

Now as much as you feel like bringing us down, I'd really like it if you actually tried to be somewhat nice.
    I not once said we were the only people who have ever attempted side-view, that's a stupid claim.
    I simply said it's something different, which it is, because 90% of games still use a slight variation of the traditional system.

And we don't have anything? If we don't have anything, what are the silhouettes of?
    You're forgetting again (either that or you can't read), that this is The Drawing Board. It's for unfinished ideas.
    If we had a working battle system and a tonne of screenshots, I'm pretty sure we'd be posting in Showcase.

So if you have nothing useful to add (for example, constructive criticism that will actually help), kindly depart the thread.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2014
    Quite the negative nancy there, aren't ya.

Now as much as you feel like bringing us down, I'd really like it if you actually tried to be somewhat nice.
    I not once said we were the only people who have ever attempted side-view, that's a stupid claim.
    I simply said it's something different, which it is, because 90% of games still use a slight variation of the traditional system.

And we don't have anything? If we don't have anything, what are the silhouettes of?
    You're forgetting again (either that or you can't read), that this is The Drawing Board. It's for unfinished ideas.
    If we had a working battle system and a tonne of screenshots, I'm pretty sure we'd be posting in Showcase.

So if you have nothing useful to add (for example, constructive criticism that will actually help), kindly depart the thread.

Funny you should say that last sentence. How can anyone provide constructive criticism if you haven't actually shown us what you have? You want us to criticize shadows, silhouettes, and a list of features you haven't actually provided proof of them working yet? Think about that for a second. If you want constructive criticism, my constructive criticism is that you drop the whole "supersecretawesomechocolateymysterygameofawesomeness" thing so that we can actually provide constructive criticism. You must've assumed we we're psychic and knew exactly what we we're looking at with these shadows? A side view of a Blastoise and a Charizard. Yes, that will be so easy to provide constructive criticism for...

He isn't being mean. He's being bluntly honest. Nothing actually shown = no proof of what you claim and nothing for us to criticize. Simple as that.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • We have shown everything we have. The silhouettes are that way because herpaderp they aren't finished and we'll reveal them when they are.
    This isn't just a guise dedicated to hype, like you seem to think, I'm progressively posting things as I make them. This is to prove we're working, whereas I won't release the content unmasked until it's completely finished and we're satisfied with it.
    (the battle-system in full later tonight, for example. Didn't want to show it yesterday because some of the graphics aren't complete, thought you guys would appreciate knowing we're making an effort, but shows what I know, really. . .)

Oh and also, protip: graphics aren't the only thing that can be constructively criticized.
    We have a list of features, talk about them, their problems, how you would like to see them implemented in a Pokemon game, and so forth.

This is not an advertisement thread detailing our semi-completed project. This is an idea thread, for our ideas.
    Again, to show you our ideas.

Doesn't take a genius to figure this stuff out.
    I mean, I'm really disappointed that I actually have to spell it out to you guys (literally, by putting "W.I.P: WILL REVEAL WHEN FINISHED" on absolutely everything I post).

I've removed all references to the term "secret".
    So please, a little help, and hope, instead of this insipid pessimism would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

JakeG

Pokemon Awakening-Coming Soon!
    Years
  • Wow...you two need to start listening...I was gonna explain it to you like everyone else but it is obvious you will not listen.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Listen to what? I am listening, and I'm responding to it. And then what happens? People disregard anything I say and repeat the same thing again.
    Sheer genius.

Seriously, people need to understand that this is not The Showcase. We are sharing the ideas and what little content we've created so far, and are being no less than attacked for it.
    Are you guys serious?

I think you'll find that when I am approached nicely I act in kind, and do in fact listen (see: every post before Alistair's).
    There's more to debate (even if such debate is somewhat heated) than stating your side repeatedly.
    If anything it seems you are the one who has not been listening.

Last edited:

Sero

私はセクシーです
    Years
  • This isnt the showcase. I think we all know that. But the drawing board rules state that you need a plot about a paragraph long and at least 2 in game shots. You didint give us either. You just gave us a list of features and a silhouette of an overworld and a charizard fightin a blastoise. Not even a list of features, just stuff saying about how "great" your graphics are.

Back