• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serebii or Pokebeach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
Years
  • I have Bulbapedia on a feed since I find them to be the most organized and aesthetically pleasing. Granted, Serebii and Pokebeach get the news way beforehand, but I also love reading Bulbapedia's columns (like "On the Origin of Pokemon.")

I also find Serebii and Pokebeach's graphics to be... obsolete? I dunno, they just seem so amateur-ish that I wonder how such big sites can't find a better graphic artist. Not that I can do any better. -shot-

Years
  • I've been checking Serebii at least once a week for the past 5-6 years. lol
    Plus, after talking with both the webmasters on separate occasions, I've decided that WPM isn't a very nice guy. So, that's pretty much why I don't go to his website.

Then, there's the whole ~staffed on Serebii Forums for nearly 3 years~ thing u-u

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • As a Journalist, I might be able to give a little bit of deep insight into these guys.

I think that both sites (and Bulba) do different things to get the news out and I think in some places they are both effective news sources.

PokeBeach tends to break news first and sometimes gets exclusive stuff. However, because they take more, shall we say, liberal acceptance of facts, the site is open to being incorrect more often. Still, the fact that WPM has taken a more risky stance on reporting means he can get more exclusive ones.

Serebii is very effective at finding and confirming stories. I typically treat his site like it was a double check. He almost never puts something up that isn't at least confirmed by some source. When it's on Serebii, I treat what he puts up as FACT.

Bulbanews isn't really effective as a news source IMO. They often write like it's a blog and are very limited on the details of their stories. Most breaking news stuff is a short lead and there isn't really much after that. However, Archaic and his staff do great editorials that inform the reader very deeply. Also, Bulbapedia has provided a great archive of information for the longest time now. Archaic and his staff may not be the best reporters, but they found their niche and they are dang good at it.

All in all, I think the fact that our news sites in this fandom do things so different from (and often against) one another has brought us better reporting and more accurate news than most fandoms. I really must applaud all three of you for doing a great job!

Last edited:

Lickeh Lickeh

Lickilicky lover
    Years
  • I just find Pokebeach's colour scheme on the interface much easier then the horrible green on Serebii. I like the enlarging tool as well, but I've also been a member on Pokebeach which makes me go on in more, it's only natural. I think I've only been on Serebii once or twice.

Serebii

Webmaster of Serebii.net
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    PokeBeach tends to break news first and sometimes gets exclusive stuff. However, because they take more, shall we say, liberal acceptance of facts, the site is open to being incorrect more often. Still, the fact that WPM has taken a more risky stance on reporting means he can get more exclusive ones.

Serebii is very effective at finding and confirming stories. I typically treat his site like it was a double check. He almost never puts something up that isn't at least confirmed by some source. When it's on Serebii, I treat what he puts up as FACT!

Can I just interrupt slightly. Pokébeach very rarely beats me to anything nor breaks it. In fact, barring the Pokémon Black & White reveal which occured at 3am my time on the 10th of April and WPM getting the pictures from the movie yesterday, it's been pretty much neck and neck with usually me leading by a few minutes like today or several hours such as with the Zorua & Zoroark reveal. There are twitter timestamps and forum log posts which can confirm it, it's just hard to tell on first glance because WPM rounds his timestamps down to the hour rather than give pinpoint minute accuracy like I do. As for exclusives, I've posted dozens of them including complete details on HGSS's Legendaries and Starters before the game even leaked on the Internet or anyone received an early copy in Japan.

But I digress, it's all opinion...just have an overwhelming urge to provide facts when things are stated iffily. I just hope you don't take offence from my post.

~Serebii

Last edited:

usami

biohazard
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Iowa
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Yeah, we don't really need a thread asking which of these sites is better. Let's just say they're both great and call it a day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back