• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Question

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2020
    Hi guys!

I'm new to youtube and would really like to make a good place there since I love making videos and animations.

However, I have just one doubt.

I am very passionate about Pokémon and I love to draw Pokémon gif-movies all the time, like the one below:

Serious Question

I could always convert it into a video and post it on YouTube with music etc..

But, will I get sued?

Like, is there a rule against publishing content such as the one above on YouTube?

Since Pokémon is copyright... I was wondering if I would land in trouble if I were to share my Pokémon movies with youtube.

May I know your thoughts on this issue please?

Thank you very much.

Your help is direly needed..

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • It's highly unlikely that would happened. Getting your video taken off youtube and given a warning would be the more likely than you getting sued - and that might happen if you use some copyrighted music.

A lot of people make animations all the time, so I don't think yours would be a problem too!

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2020
    Wow, thank you very much for letting me know this Zappy! : D

This helps a lot and this really gives me something to do for quite a long time now.

Thank you...

I do hope my Pokémon videos get accepted by youtube...

I draw the Pokémon without eyes and such so to not completely 'copy' them, you know.. Either way, I just don't like drawing eyes. So, it won't be a completely copied material in a way and I will be careful about the music.

Thank you very much Zappy! : )

And more opinions are always welcome here you guys. If there are any more suggestions you would like to give me, please do feel free and I will be needing them.

Thanks!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I can't imagine you'd get sued. If there's a serious problem with the content, Youtube will most likely just pull the video and place a strike on your account, or something similar. At worst, Nintendo will issue a cease and desist where if you don't comply, then you'll face legal action. But those instances usually only happen in deliberate cases of infringement; i.e. you know you're doing it, you know it's wrong, and you're choosing to upload it and profit from it anyway.

People post stuff like this all the time - animations, speed paints, comics, etc. The big question is whether or not you're monetizing the content. I'm no expert on the subject, and every country has different laws regarding this kind of stuff, but the content you intend on uploading should be protected by YouTube's Fair Use clause.

So yeah I don't think you're at risk of getting sued. But you should always read the rules before uploading anything!

https://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2020
    Oh.. I did read the rules and everything sounded so complicated that I refrained from posting my video. Mostly because, I want to monetise my content and I think with my video, that may not be allowed

So, I guess I can't post my video? : /

I don't want to get my account banned or anything.. I just want to make movies and if I can, earn money also in the process, lol...

I know that what I draw may be copyright. So, I guess I should refrain from posting it.. : / and probably try to make my own characters and animations? Lol..

P.S., And thank you for your reply Kirby! : ) your post really helped me think straight... I just hope I get this right somehow.. @_@

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • If you wish to monetise your content on YouTube, it has to be mostly completely devoid of any copyrighted material. This includes images, music, characters and so on. However if you decide not to monetise certain videos, or make them unlisted, I think having copyrighted material in those should be okay, as long as credit is given to all original creators of the content you use. If you are unsure, you can always make your video without monetising it, and ask YouTube support if monetising your videos would cause problems with copyright.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2020
    Ohh, thank you Elder! :) I might try exactly that! It is a good idea...

Thank you very much!! :D

Back