• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

sexual orientation

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
  • Hey Advanced, I took what you read and it just sparked a thought in me.

If people say they are BORN homosexual, but homosexuality is a disruption of our natural genes geared to reproduction.. then perhaps it's for a reason.

In the past homosexuals were basically forced into marriages and so they reproduced, carrying that gene forward.
    Now with overpopulation, homosexual couples WONT be having more children.. which will lead to less stress on the Earth and a balance of people and the environment.

If Christians are so bent hardcore wanting to believe that homosexuality is wrong and will be punished, then the best way to do that is just to let them be together. If my theory is true, then the "gay gene" will die off/ discontinue. (And if people are like "no way, my dad wasn't gay so there's no such thing" just realize that not EVERYONE in your family has a genetic trait like diabetes.. it sometimes skips generations.)

Who knows?
    I'm not saying I agree entirely with this.. but it was just sorta a thought/ theory about homosexuality in general. Thought I'd throw it out there.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    If that were the case about 100 years ago, then your theory would be possible. But you are forgetting that with current technology we can go from implanting embryos and sperm donation all the way to gender change. I don't see a decrease in homosexual people even if the genetics theory was the sole and only case.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • If that were the case about 100 years ago, then your theory would be possible. But you are forgetting that with current technology we can go from implanting embryos and sperm donation all the way to gender change. I don't see a decrease in homosexual people even if the genetics theory was the sole and only case.

True.. but how could nature forsee human technological advances? I think it kinda goes hand in hand with the fact that nature could forsee a large population increase with the increase of medical advancements, though.. living longer gives the Earth more babies?

But even still.. even if a man had a gender change and decided he wanted to give birth to a baby.. it wouldn't ever happen because of the way there are SO many things that need to be balanced in the body in order to deliver a healthy baby. Plus invetro-fertilization costs a LOT of money to do. Not everyone's going to be able to do it for financial, emotional, AND physical reasons.

Are we going into a recession from the baby boom? Who knows? But like I said.. it was just a random thought I wanted to throw out there!

Edit: But 100 years ago.. isn't that when homosexuality was just starting to become acceptable?..... Hmm....

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I kind of have to agree that if homosexuality is something you're born with, it'll eventually die off in the grand scheme of genetics. Yes, there are homosexual couples who can pass their genes down through various ways of reproducing/in vitro fertilization/whatever, but those are few and far between I would argue and aren't widespread enough to really support a proper percentage of the population being homosexual. Unless it's not in the genes anywhere and is part of the basic DNA structure (does biology even work this way? lmao i never took it), it doesn't really make sense that it'd keep getting passed on.

:s I identify as bi and I still have no idea if I believe people are born homosexual or not. I don't think it's a choice but I feel it could definitely be nurture, or a combination of nature and nurture. I look back on my life and I can identify times in my early and late childhood that could have influenced my attraction to both sexes and maybe it was even a subconscious choice I made somewhere along the line. And even if it was a choice, that's my choice to make and I wouldn't want to be judged for it.

I also don't really believe it matters all that much, whether it's a choice, something ingrained at birth, or something subconsciously instilled while growing up. I think people have the right to choose how they want to live, what gender they want to identify as, and all that jazz. Just because it's different from the norm right now means NOTHING to me and morals aren't black and white so I think it's silly to judge anyone for their choices. (That said, judge away if it floats your boat but the moment it crosses the line from silent disapproval to spoken harassment or otherwise, then I lose respect for you.)

Years
  • Assuming homosexuality were stickly a genetic thing (as in no amount of nurture or choice could influence it - not saying it is or isn't, just following that train of thought) then wouldn't there be straight people carrying the genes for it around? Two people with brown hair and brown eyes can have a kid with red hair and green eyes because the parents can still carry the genetic codes for it even if they themselves don't have those genes turned 'on'.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Assuming homosexuality were stickly a genetic thing (as in no amount of nurture or choice could influence it - not saying it is or isn't, just following that train of thought) then wouldn't there be straight people carrying the genes for it around? Two people with brown hair and brown eyes can have a kid with red hair and green eyes because the parents can still carry the genetic codes for it even if they themselves don't have those genes turned 'on'.

Yes. People who do not have a genetic trait can still be carriers of said gene, and pass it on to their offspring. I still don't believe that homosexuality genetic, though.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • You also have to remember that as recently as 50 years ago, homosexuality was fairly taboo and nobody was open about it. Homosexuals often had heterosexual relations and took an opposite-gendered spouse to "fit in"...babies were eventually made and raised and all that.

The gay gene, if there really is one, could very will still be in circulation even if the gay pride movement has slowed down how often homosexuals and heterosexuals have sexual contact, and it could eventually wither the homosexual population down to a fraction of it's usual percentage. :/

I still buy into the theory that upbringing and experiences have just as much to do with it than genetics.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2010
    I'm not homosexual but you better believe I support it. I wear a rainbow bracelet just to let them know I don't give a crap who they have sex with :) (although I'm sure it confuses people)

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • You do know, I already said I was a bigot towards bigots. I really don't see the point in you saying that after other people already have, including myself.

Problem. The people you're accusing of being bigots are not in fact bigots. Yet, you're still intolerant towards them.

How should they be treated differently?

I have no real opinion on that, though I would say it is an important question. There may be very little things they should be treated differently on. That's not something I have put much work into thinking out.

Here's an example I'm pulling out of my ear:

Health / Education. Different orientations would need to be informed about different things regarding intercourse. Yes?

Black people are not the same as white people, but that doesn't mean they should be treated any differently. Sexual preference has about as much of an impact as skin colour when it comes to how one should perceive another. Treating someone differently (either for better, or worse), or being requested to be treated differently, merely because someone possesses such a trivial trait, is stupid.

See, the difference between a black person and a white person is so incredibly small that there really is no reason to treat them different. This is actually very rare for the differences to be that incredibly small, which is why we don't treat birds like turtles. However, contrary to what you said sexual preference is a significantly bigger difference. I'm not one to say exactly how different they should be treated, but I don't think it would be appropriate to treat them exactly the same as if they were not different. It would just cause problems that can be avoided.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016

Health / Education. Different orientations would need to be informed about different things regarding intercourse. Yes?

Do they really though? Would it not make more sense for all orientations to be taught everything? Considering the number of people who while still at school age will not have come out and the number that will "experiment" I think the best idea would be to work under the assumption that they are all bisexual than dividing classes.

See, the difference between a black person and a white person is so incredibly small that there really is no reason to treat them different. This is actually very rare for the differences to be that incredibly small, which is why we don't treat birds like turtles. However, contrary to what you said sexual preference is a significantly bigger difference. I'm not one to say exactly how different they should be treated, but I don't think it would be appropriate to treat them exactly the same as if they were not different. It would just cause problems that can be avoided.

Out of curiosity, what differences do you think there are between sexualities? I mean sure, you can have butch women and flamboyant men, but that can be true of heterosexuals aswell.
    I've always been confused by military forces that don't employ gay people. What does sexual orientation have to do with one's willingness to fight?

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I think it's ridiculous to associate butchness in women and flamboyment in men with homosexuality. Those shouldn't relate to physical attraction.

I've always thought that sexual orientation was pre-determined before birth while the time the sex is determined in the womb, specifically due to hormonal balances. I don't think people choose to be gay.

I believe the only reason people think they do is because some openly out gay people say that if they had the chance to change who they were and be straight they wouldn't do it, while others say they would. That to me is a matter of how much they accept themselves. Those who are more accepting of who they are and the quirks they have are more accepting of their sexual orientation while those who have trouble accepting who they are would choose to change their sexual orientation and be more accepted in society standards.

You also don't choose who you fall in love with.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I think it's ridiculous to associate butchness in women and flamboyment in men with homosexuality. Those shouldn't relate to physical attraction.

I've always thought that sexual orientation was pre-determined before birth while the time the sex is determined in the womb, specifically due to hormonal balances. I don't think people choose to be gay.

I believe the only reason people think they do is because some openly out gay people say that if they had the chance to change who they were and be straight they wouldn't do it, while others say they would. That to me is a matter of how much they accept themselves. Those who are more accepting of who they are and the quirks they have are more accepting of their sexual orientation while those who have trouble accepting who they are would choose to change their sexual orientation and be more accepted in society standards.

I actually disagree with that last statement..
    In a way, you do choose who you fall in love with.. Falling in love with someone and being naturally attracted to someone are two different things. It depends on what sorts of things you value, and I believe that to have real love for someone there has to have that deeper level of understanding with each other. How can you love someone if you only know them superficially? And then you find out they love.. oh, I don't know.. let's say.. they pick their nose ALL the time.. and then suddenly you find you're not "in love" anymore.
    You could CHOOSE to overlook things that you don't find attractive or appealing in your significant other..

It's the reason sometimes couples get divorced over issues like "He is a lazy bum and never DOES anything" but others claim "I'll never leave him no matter what because even though he's lazy he is very loving."
    :/ We choose who we want to be with. I rather be with no-one than a druggie, personally. I also, because I'm straight, rather be with no-one than a woman because I wouldn't be able to love her in a romantic way and it'd be infair to her.

So I think we DO choose who we love.. but things like what we find naturally physically attractive (long hair, a great smile, a penis, large breasts) is the thing we can't really change, but rather.. might be able to overlook. And I say this because if you loved your spouse, and they magically had their genitals disappear on them.. would you still want to be with them, or is sex an important aspect of life for you?
    And that's a question that's individual to EVERYONE and no one can decide for you what is the right choice.

And that's also why I both DO and DON'T think that homosexuality is entirely choice either. It's a bit of both. (I just gave that gay-gene theory earlier to just throw and idea out there.)
    And perhaps we're all born with a gay-gene.. but some people have it nurtured more than others?

Who knows! :3

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I think it's ridiculous to associate butchness in women and flamboyment in men with homosexuality. Those shouldn't relate to physical attraction.

Well, I don't think that homosexuals just say to themseleves "Hey, I guess I'll be gay from now on!" I'm still open to the possibility that some level of choice is involved, or some level or nature, or nurture. There is no solid evidence that is generally accepted in the scientific community to prove what causes homosexuality. Sure, there are a few studies out there, but a few studies is not enought to constituted general acceptance by the scientific community.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    I tend to keep things pretty simple, each to their own.

As far as sexuality and all that is concerned, people shouldn't be judged unless of course it's something inherently wrong like paedophilia or something along these lines.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    I tend to keep things pretty simple, each to their own.

As far as sexuality and all that is concerned, people shouldn't be judged unless of course it's something inherently wrong like paedophilia or something along these lines.

how is pedophilia wrong? as i said in the thread concerning a book about pedophilia- pedophilia is not an act, it is a natural and uncontrollable attraction. until a child is touched in an unfavorable way, no harm has been done- and a lot of pedophiles who live with that urge control it.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I look at it this way, Being Gay, or Bi isn't only a choice made consciously or subconsciously. It isn't just a genetic trait or predisposition.

We are largely chemically powered. In the grand scheme of things many genetic issues, health issues, hormonal imbalances, mental/emotional stimuli and many other things can affect our bodies in a large way. So I don't think sexual orientation is caused by just one thing. It could be a vast number of possible causes.

You could end up being Gay/Bi for many reasons. Myself personally, I'm bi. I certainly didn't choose it. I resisted it until I could be for sure that I wasn't just curious.

Still, I think that Homosexuality or any varying degrees of it are not going away. It never will...it's always existed silently until recently (Last 50-100 years) when people finally decided they'd be a little more open about it and wean people onto being tolerant of it.

As for people who flaunt their sexuality excessively...they're just upset at the bigotry. They're just daring people to discriminate against them so they can cry out against it. Ignoring their behavior is the most mature thing anyone can do really. Hell, I don't mind being ignored. I know a few people who are uncomfortable with me changing the gender I express...if they want to ignore me, that's just fine. I certainly didn't do it for attention, but I'm not going to waste time forcing them to accept it.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    how is pedophilia wrong? as i said in the thread concerning a book about pedophilia- pedophilia is not an act, it is a natural and uncontrollable attraction. until a child is touched in an unfavorable way, no harm has been done- and a lot of pedophiles who live with that urge control it.

Thinking about it isn't wrong, I wasn't really talking about thinking or fantasizing though.

Everyone in the world has had "wrong" urges, whether it's the urge to hit someone until they stop moving or....whatever...everyone has had them from time to time, it's the measure of a person for how they control their inner demons and do what feels right in life.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I don't really want to make this five paragraphs long, and I don't think that it needs to be. So I'll keep it as simple as I can. As far as religion and homosexuality goes, I'm bitter on that end the issue, because I've lost a few friends due to being bi. Sadly, each of those friends were hugely Christian, and one of them was even largely into yaoi and yuri, but I guess you can be okay with gay anime characters easier than when it involves real people. And a word of advice to anyone: Never use "lol well I like yaoi" in argument over whether you're okay with the LGBT community, it's not becoming.

As far as homosexuality and/or LGBT in general goes, do I think people can be born that way? Yes, I do. I've heard of plenty of things from people who experienced issues in relation to it as early as four or five years old. It differs from person to person, obviously, but I'm certainly not going to call any of those people out, and say "You don't know what you're talking about". They know their own body far better than I ever could, and if they think they knew by the time they were 10 years old, then I believe them. (Edit: calm yo bad selves down~. not sayin' all homosexuals know by the time they're five. Some could very well be effected by their environment / nature/nurture over the years, etc.)

Likewise, I also believe that for some it is a lifestyle choice. Why? Because some people really do it make it one. Some people actually say "I think I wanna be a in a same-sex relationship!", but have they have no peer pressure, or hard times, or self hate because of it. Nope. Because they're not actually homosexual, they just choose to swing a different way when it's convenient to them. Does that make it okay? If that's their choice, then more power to them, but I do agree that it does make the people who are fully in the LGBT group look bad.

I could explain on some points better, but I really don't wanna make this too much longer than it is. xD; Stoppin'.

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I've lost a few friends due to being bi. Sadly, each of those friends were hugely Christian, and one of them was even largely into yaoi and yuri, but I guess you can be okay with gay anime characters easier than when it involves real people.
    *Sigh* I always hate hearing about this sort of thing... I don't know about any other Christians, but I could NEVER hate someone for something as stupid as their sexuality, and to throw away a friendship because of that is just ridiculous. It reminds me of stories I've heard of pastors wishing death upon people, just because of something they did, or because they don't like them. I'm sorry, but no one who does that is a Christian in my eyes. A Christian cares for/loves everyone regardless of their sexuality, or anything they may do, that we don't like.

I just really hope you don't let something like that affect your opinion of all Christians. Granted, most of the Christians I know aren't too accepting of Gays, but I would hope most of us are smarter than that. =/

/end preaching before I get too carried away

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    Likewise, I also believe that for some it is a lifestyle choice. Why? Because some people really do it make it one. Some people actually say "I think I wanna be a in a same-sex relationship!", but have they have no peer pressure, or hard times, or self hate because of it. Nope. Because they're not actually homosexual, they just choose to swing a different way when it's convenient to them. Does that make it okay? If that's their choice, then more power to them, but I do agree that it does make the people who are fully in the LGBT group look bad.

I agree that sexuality can be a lifestyle choice. Although to be honest I've never heard of someone choosing to be gay or lesbian purely out of convenience for them. Most societies tend to frown on same-sex relationships so I don't see it as a common thing, but time after time we have seen homosexuals and bisexuals conforming to a heterosexual lifestyle out of pressure from what society deems to be "normal". So it is possible for any person of any sexuality to live in a manner that doesn't truly speak to themselves.

Back