• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Shiny Gyarados Unnecessary?

Do you agree with there being a Red Gyarados?

• Yes, go shiny Gyarados!

Votes: 56 72.7%
  • No, I get my shinies 100% 1/8,200

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 17 22.1%

• Total voters

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I don't care if you can get it shiny or not because there are other cool looking shiny pokemon. xD

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2017
    I don't know but shinies in the game makes it another goal. You say "I want a shiny zubat, ill go look for 1" for example. You would search around a area for so long and it might appear. Sometimes its pure luck. It gives the game a challenge.

And if their happens to be a shiny pokemon in the storyline well... who cares?

Mateus_

Retired Hunter.
    Years
  • for me it was to show ppl the existance of shinys... cause getting one in wild is so dificult that some ppl never get one... like this ppl can see the new game feature...
    another thing to show the shinys was the egg u get from the day care... it has a 50% chance of being shiny...

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
  • for me it was to show ppl the existance of shinys... cause getting one in wild is so dificult that some ppl never get one... like this ppl can see the new game feature...
    another thing to show the shinys was the egg u get from the day care... it has a 50% chance of being shiny...

I never thought of that o_o So that means there were no shiny's in Red/Blue and Yellow?

Kokuo

Ground Type Trainer
    Years
  • Probably a method of introducing shinies into the game. I've heard stories of people who found one and then shut their game off thinking it was a glitch.

Ceilidh

<3
    Years
  • I think it's a good idea :)

It was the reason I knew shinys existed :laugh:

Other than the Gyarados the only shiny I've ever caught is a hoothoot... :( how lame.

st.louis

Addict of saying :P
    Years
  • Everyone says WOW SHINIES ARE SO RARE!! but i've got a shiny golbat, a shiny doduo and a shiny ratata at my crystal game, and i've just arrived at the pokemon league, not even beaten it yet!

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    It provides extra for all those shiny hunters
    So it's good of Nintendo to implement such a thing

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Yeah i never really cared for that gyrados it was not really that important to me i never liked gyrados till recently i cant belibe how stupid but back then i hated most water types now im more mixed

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2009
    Nah, I'd say they were giving the public a taste of differance, it threw that extra curve ball and has inspired a load of people to see how many Shinies they can get.

I guess it also shows sometimes how lucky the player is.

Kamakazai

私は神の風午前!
    Years
  • I never actually caught that Gyrodose, I wasn't interested in shiny pokemon till I ran into a shiny Golbat, though I never trained anything other than my Feraligatr. Yes I think it was a big fat shiny give away and so was the pokemon egg from the day care center (there was a 1/8 chance of it being shiny) more importantly it made people learn that shiny pokemon are real and not just some hoax made by a ROM hacker.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • Hey, guess who killed it for lulz? I don't care much for shinies anyway, they are just an added bonus. But yeah, this should be counted as a shiny, but I see why people regard it as not being shiny, seen as it is programmed to be neccessary to find, and most likely capture. In a way, it is like a Legendary.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • In the game, plot-wise, the shiny Gyarados was an excellent was to signal the player that there's something really freaky going on at that lake. So in that regard, yes, it's definitely necessary.

Other than that, no, it really isn't NECESSARY for it to be shiny, but considering how rare shinies are, it's a nice thing to have. Otherwise it would be easy for a lot of players to believe that shinies are a hoax, since that may be the only shiny they ever run into. And anyway, if a player is never lucky enough to run into another shiny, it's nice to be able to catch that one, even if everyone else can catch it too.

west

One winged angel
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2009
    It was probably;y to in form players off shiny. I do think its neccesary or else i would never go shiny hunting lol

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    It was a showcase of shiny pokemon and a chance for us all to get atleast one. It was really so we would just know it was in the game.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • Hmm? Where am I? This isn't Other Chat!

The Shiny Gyarados is essential to the game, as we would have to discover Shiny Pokemon ourselves. And that would truly suck. And besides, G/S were the first games to introduce Shiny Pokemon, so they had to make them apparent.

Back