• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Shiny Pokemon Question

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2008
    Ok, Ive been playing pokemon crystal for a really long time and I have never seen a shiny pokemon other then Garydoes. Can anyone help me with that. Oh and Dont forget to tell us about your shiny pokemon encounters.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2014
    Either get a Gameshark or ask Lady Luck out on a date.

...I have a Noctowl and a Clefable. Had them for many years now...

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • Shiny's are VERY rare, I have all the gba games, fr/lg r/s/e/ and d/p/pl
    I have only encounter one shiny in all my years of playing and that was bellsprout on my lg game, and thank goodness I had the volume up just enough to hear it, also when I 1st stated playing and didn't know about shiny's I ran into a shiny groudon and turned my game off cause I didn't know what it was!!

awsomedude30

Am I a beginning trainer?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2014
    unless im mistaken the chances of getting a shiny pokemon were and always have been 1/8192 or something like that
    but in this generation they are based on iv's

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • I've played my Crystal file for... *checks timer* 192 hours and 27 minutes, and found one shiny Pokemon aside from Gyarados, a Golbat.

All I have to say is, if you don't cheat, all you have left to turn to is dumb luck.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2008
    unless im mistaken the chances of getting a shiny pokemon were and always have been 1/8192 or something like that
    but in this generation they are based on iv's

what are IV'S i know its impossible 2 get one on crystal

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I have never found a Shiny. My brother has, and then he rubbed it my face, it was a pidgey, but I hope to find one!

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    I have found a lot of shinies XD, though it's just pure luck! Just keep on searching in the grass, caves and water. XD Anyways good luck my friend! XD

Last edited:

awsomedude30

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2014
    If a Pokémon's Speed, Defense, and Special IVs are 10, and its Attack IV is 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15, it will be shiny
    therefore a shiny pokemon will have rather high ivs

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
    Years
  • I only found one shiny pokemon in the 2nd generation. It was a poliwag!
    It was too bad that the colour change was only minor, but it was nice to have.
    As for your question: you're going to have to search for a while. Unless you use AR, you'll have to look out for one for a long time.

Last edited:

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
    Years
    • CT
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    Actually, shiny pokemon, and I'm not sure if this is a myth or not, have generally lower IVs than their regularly-colored counterparts. And the IVs you mentioned are rather on the poor end, as the maximum is 31. The chances of finding a shiny are 1:8192 (I looked it up).

awsomedude30

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2014
    Actually, shiny pokemon, and I'm not sure if this is a myth or not, have generally lower IVs than their regularly-colored counterparts. And the IVs you mentioned are rather on the poor end, as the maximum is 31. The chances of finding a shiny are 1:8192 (I looked it up).
    actually the max is 15 ivs

POKEMASTERALEX

Pokemon Master.
    Years
  • If a Pokémon's Speed, Defense, and Special IVs are 10, and its Attack IV is 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15, it will be shiny

i'm almost positive that's not true. In g/s/c if you found a shiny, it had high ivs where as in the new gens they have random ivs. the ivs you listed aren't high at all I believe they were still out of 31 in the metal gen.

EDIT: you say the max is 15? then that means it's diff than the new gens correct?

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    i'm almost positive that's not true. In g/s/c if you found a shiny, it had high ivs
    No, he's right. Alternate‐colored Pokémon in GSC have IVs of 10 for every stat except Attack. IVs are counted from 0 to 15 in all GB/GBC games as well. So shinies actually have fairly mediocre stats in GSC—for instance, any hatchling from Crystal's Odd Egg that is shiny has IVs of 0/10/10/10 (meaning Tyrogue is one of the worst choices).

~Frozen Darkness~

It's watching you...
    Years
  • What I found in my 2nd and 3rd gen games (Except Gyarados in GSC)

Crystal: Spinarak

Firered: Tentacool

Leafgreen: Voltorb (Killed it! :()

Sapphire: Zigzagoon

I didn't list my D/P/P Shinies cuz there are too many too list.

Years
  • Shinies are way easier to obtain in DPP, because of Shiny chaining. And to clear up the matter of IVs, generation 2 had max IVs of 15 and gen 3 and 4 a max of 31.

Reality_is_a_Dream

<Hitmewchan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2010
    Once I was looking for shiny Pokemon. I jhad nothing to do...
    And I ran into one.
    And I ran away.

I have never forgiven myself.

Years
  • The Odd Egg you get at the Daycare has a 50% chance of being an alternate colour Pokémon, if I recall correctly, so for so many to have not seen one other than the red Gyarados is surprising.

Back