• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen SHINY!!!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 17, 2021
Just caught a shiny Drowzee!!! 100 years ago when I played Silver on the see through purple gameboy color I found a shiny Ryhorn at victory road but I didn't know what it was so I knocked it out... What a fool... but I caught this one! Has anyone found any shinies since these games have been released on 3DS?

Another question... is this the most difficult gen to catch shinies or is there another that's tougher?

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Congrats on the Shiny Drowzee! I too didn't know about Shinies back in the day and would've failed my first encounter as well if the game had let me run away from that Golbat.

I was determined to find a Shiny before clearing VC Gold, so I did a lot of grinding and found a Shiny Tangela just for it to flee... though I wasn't terribly disappointed about that since Tangela was the Shiny I least-wanted in that route. I kept going and found a Shiny Weepinbell, which I was much more happy with than Tangela. Lickitung would've been nicer, but pitcher plants are cool!

After clearing the game, I went back to try SRing a Shiny Tyrogue but grew bored of the repetition and decided to focus on getting my team to lv100. I was training in Mt. Silver when a Shiny Misdreavus caught me by surprise! She's now my main 'mon in VC Gold.

I decided to change locations while grinding in hope of finding another Shiny and, while crossing my fingers for a Shiny Girafarig (or Venonat), I found a Shiny Mareep. That's also cool. PURPLE SHEEP-DRAGON TIME!

I headed back to my original hunting route hoping that I might finally score a Shiny Lickitung while grinding, but a Shiny Bellsprout popped up. Pretty disappointing since I already had a Shiny Victreebel, but I caught it anyway. (Too bad I didn't know the Repel Trick at this point!) It's on Ultra Sun now, but I haven't raised it.

In fear of finding a repeat Shiny, I changed locations yet again. I remembered that you could fish-up Lv40 Corsola (one of my favorite aesthetic Shinies) inside the Day-Care area, so I figured I'd try my luck there. I had forgotten that Krabby and Kingler also appeared and I really didn't want either of their Shinies, but I lucked-out and hooked a Shiny Corsola!

All of this happened within a month's time. I've never had such luck!

As far as Shiny difficulty goes, these games have the same full-odds Shiny rate as any other pre-3DS game: 1/8192 (full-odds Shinies are twice as likely to appear in the 3DS games). The hardest games to find Shinies in are, in my opinion, the Gamecube RPGs -- Colosseum and Gale of Darkness -- simply because catchable Pokémon don't appear as often.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Never gotten lucky with a shiny but tbh if I saw a shiny of a pokemon I didn't care about like Rattata I'd KO it for fun.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Sooo lucky! I've only ever gotten the Odd Egg and Gyarados from gen 2 sooo I don't count them :(

Always wanted an original Johto one, and was hoping for one in this playthrough but alas lol We'll see. Still gotta get to completing VC Gold, starting VC Silver and buying VC Crystal when the time comes!

Also:

"I remembered that you could fish-up Lv40 Corsola (one of my favorite aesthetic Shinies) inside the Day-Care area, so I figured I'd try my luck there. I had forgotten that Krabby and Kingler also appeared and I really didn't want either of their Shinies, but I lucked-out and hooked a Shiny Corsola!"

Was not aware. That's really cool! ...although when I first played I was really young so I didn't think of exploring there haha.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
"I remembered that you could fish-up Lv40 Corsola (one of my favorite aesthetic Shinies) inside the Day-Care area, so I figured I'd try my luck there. I had forgotten that Krabby and Kingler also appeared and I really didn't want either of their Shinies, but I lucked-out and hooked a Shiny Corsola!"

Was not aware. That's really cool! ...although when I first played I was really young so I didn't think of exploring there haha.

It can actually be found in several other areas (including other water in the Day-Care route), but I remembered finding it there when I was younger and for ages assumed it was exclusive to that spot. It's easier to hook one with a Super Rod (which you can't get until the Kanto chapter).

I hope you find your first full-odds GSC Shiny soon!

Last edited:
Back