• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shoddy Tested, Mother Approved? [OU RMT]

RodeoJones

True Blue.
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    Heya, guys. I had posted this RMT months back before knowing about Shoddy or getting to test it out for real in a wi-fi battle. The Pokemon I use seem pretty bland to me, 4 out of 6 from the old days of RBY. I've gotten to test it out on Shoddy where it does OK, winning about 50% of the battles. Still, I feel there's no competitive edge here...Like I'm missing one or two Pokes to make it a real winner of a team. Anyway, here goes:

EDIT: Here's an edit with the advice considered and then some testing.

Infernape @Focus Sash
    Nature: Naive - 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
    Stealth Rock
    Close Combat
    Fake Out
    Fire Blast

Originally, I wanted Ninetails as my fire-type Pokemon. She's been my favourite Poke for quite some time now, but I was told she's just outclassed by a lot of fire types, especially the Ape. Also, I needed to lay down Stealth Rock - I wanted Steelix to be the one to do this, but in the long run decided he wouldn't cut it in OU. To get to the point, Infernape seems to be the logical choice for my fire type as well as my lead. He's there for Stealth Rock, but if he survives a hit - Fire Blast and Close Combat are there to deal some serious damage. As far as a lead goes, I think Infernape is my number one choice for the team. No change.

Starmie @ChoiceScarf
    Nature: Timid - EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    Psychic

I realized my team is not weak to Stealth Rock or TSpikes...I probably don't even need a rapid spinner. Let's keep Starmie, but make her a REVENGE KILLER. I'm really pumped about her now...I'll go with the Choice Scarf and give her Psychic. I chose Psychic over Grass Knot since Jolteon has HP Grass and I don't have a psychic-type move at all. There's not much description left since I think this spot has been nailed down. First and second Pokes done, now moving on to the harder slots.

Jolteon @ ChoiceSpecs
    Nature: Timid - 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Baton Pass
    Hidden Power Grass
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderbolt

Originally had her as a Life Orb set with Charge Beam. Now I've decided to go with the Choice set. The sets I see show Baton Pass in Jolteon's Choice moveset, but I just don't think I'm up to the level to use that...I mean, I just don't see how it's good. There's nothing to pass! Am I just scouting? *Googles for a bit* After looking at Jolteon's moveset, I think I understand why they've got Baton Pass in there - there's really not another option. Charge Beam or Signal Beam are there, but either move just doesn't really do anything. Baton Pass can be used without worry of being Choice-locked in it since Joltey would be switching out. So, is that the right move for the set? I'm kind of confused where to take this Jolteon...I saw a Leftovers version with Substitute, Baton Pass, Wish and Thunderbolt, but I just keep leaning toward the Choice set. This is where I think I may need the most help with the team.

Gliscor @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Veil
    Nature: Jolly - EVs: 252HP / 4Def / 252Spe
    Earthquake
    Taunt
    Toxic
    Roost

My new addition to the team is Gliscor. Decided to replace Snorlax with him to add that Earthquake move that I'd been lacking. Now I can deal with Lucario, a Poke that wrecked havoc on my team when testing out in Shoddy. My only way to stop it was to pit my own Lucario against theirs. Gliscor will be a good stall breaker. Also, I was having trouble dealing with electric types...no longer with Gliscor. I'll miss Snorlax, but I think Gliscor is a better option.
    EDIT: I've decided to keep Gliscor (for now) over adding DDMence or a Dragonite. If someone thinks swapping out Gliscor for a dragon is a good idea, I'll do it.

Suicune @ Leftovers
    Nature: Bold - 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Calm Mind
    Roar

This BulkyCune was added to the team after I decided to drop Steelix and Mismagius for stronger Pokemon. Suicune is in the team to stop dragons with Ice Beam. Calm Mind beefs it up a bit and Rest is there in place of Roar (which I feel might have benefited the team more). Suicune is definitely the weak link of my team, I only have it in there to counter dragons. I'm thinking it needs to be replaced with something that can use Earthquake and Ice Beam (Swampert?). In the two battles I've fought, Suicune didn't add much to the fight. I just feel I'm not using Cune to its full potential. EDIT: Decided to keep BulkyCune over an Offensive Cune but changed her to a Phaser. Replaced Rest with Roar. Rest was just asking to get set up on. Now with Roar, they can't set up at all!
    Lucario @ Life Orb
    Nature: Hasty - 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Swords Dance
    Close Combat
    Extremespeed
    Crunch

Lucario will definitely stay in my team. This swords dancer breaks defensive walls and is there for the sweep late in the game. I chose Crunch over Ice Punch for Dusknoir and Celebi, but if I drop Cune, Ice Punch may be a better option. Gliscor totally destroys Luke with Earthquake, but as mentioned earlier, I've got a few pokes to take care of Gliscor. Add another Pokemon weak to Earthquake.

-----

EDIT: Considering changing Lucario to Scizor, but don't Scizor get torn apart by entry hazards? I'm still new to competitive, but I'm afraid I'd need a Spinner and I'm set on turning Starmie into a Revenge Killer. If it's no biggie, I'll replace Luke with...

Scizor @Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant - 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    Brick Break
    Bug Bite/Roost

Scizor can take Earthquake (which absolutely KILLS two of my other Pokes) and also can switch into Outrage. We all know Scizor is a beast and can fit into any team, especially when he's swapping in for Lucario. Still, it hurts me to see Luke go. The water types that can mess with Scizor can be properly dealt with by Jolteon and Starmie. Not too worried about water types. Basically, I can see that Scizor does everything Lucario does, but better. :'(

Again, thanks for looking, and thanks for the help.

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • Rapid Spin isn't really needed. Absolutely nothing on your team is weak to Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes doesn't bother you much since Snorlax and Suicune both have Rest while Lucario is immune to it, and Skarmory/Forretress won't get many chances to set up Spikes against you. You still need Starmie tough, otherwise Mixed Infernape will wreck your team. Use Sweeper Starmie instead.

Starmie @Expert Belt/Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

-Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Recover

Don't replace Jolteon for Gengar. It makes you Pursuit weak, especially ScarfTar's Pursuit.

Your Jolteon's main problem is that Choice Specs doesn't work with your moveset. The whole purpose of using Charge Beam is to boost your Special Attack so you can use your OTHER moves. What's the point of using Charge Beam when you'll be stuck using it? Even after 1 boost, it's still weaker than Thunderbolt.
    Change Choice Specs to Life Orb.

Suicune easily takes care of your Ground weakness. No Ground type is going to get past it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2010
    I'm new to this forum, but not really to competitive pokemon though. It seems well balanced to me, except that I think Snorlax and Suicune really slow down the momentum you have and the pressure you put on opponenets with the turns spent setting up.

I think you may want to switch to an offensive Suicune such as:

Suicune @ leftovers
    Timid Nature
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 4HP / 252SpA / 252Spe
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - HP [Electric]
    - Calm Mind

It might be difficult to get if you're using wifi, but I think this better fits your team because people often underestimate its speed and power after a single CM.

I don't know, you said you wanted Snorlax on the team, but I think you could try Gliscor in its place. It checks other Lucario quite nicely, which could run through your team without too much trouble. This is what I'm suggesting:

Gliscor @ Leftovers
    Jolly Nature
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252HP / 4Def / 252Spe
    - Earthquake
    - Taunt
    - Toxic
    - Roost

Lastly, change Lucario's Nature to Adamant/Jolly so you don't have an unnecessary Def drop.

RodeoJones

True Blue.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    Im down with the offensive Starmie for sure. I'll playtest the Gliscor over Snorlax...I do need a poke with Earthquake. As for the Cune, I'll try my hardest to get one for wifi...that moveset and EV spread look way better. Perhaps I'll buy Platinum, trade my good pokes over and then restart Soul Silver for a new Cune.

Any more suggestions guys? I think the team will run a lot smoother.

RodeoJones

True Blue.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    One final bump - edited the team in the first post with some MAJOR changes. Thanks guys for any additional help!

Back