• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I buy a Darkrai ex for 28 bucks?

Professor_Jiro

New Authority
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2012
    As the title states. Should I? I'd assume when it comes out in english it will sky rocket in price, up to Mewtwo ex's current value at least. and will be very hard to find. definitely more than 28 dollars in booster packs.

So, I was curious if it's worth it. Such a great card. and to have it before everyone else does as well.

Years
    I wouldn't recommend it, unless you have absolutely NO PLANs on going to an official Pokemon tournament and you don't play against ANYONE who is nitpicky about what cards you can use, as non-English language cards cannot be used in official tournaments anymore.

Professor_Jiro

New Authority
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2012
    I dont like having to use tournament legal cards, because they're more expensive on purpose and have exact counterparts in older sets that are much cheaper. And I don't wanna spend 60+ dollars on a darkrai ex when i could buy the same exact card for 28. Sure I could try for it in boosters, but the chances are so very little, id spend even more than buying the english single itself.

Years
    I dont like having to use tournament legal cards, because they're more expensive on purpose and have exact counterparts in older sets that are much cheaper. And I don't wanna spend 60+ dollars on a darkrai ex when i could buy the same exact card for 28. Sure I could try for it in boosters, but the chances are so very little, id spend even more than buying the english single itself.

They're more expensive because there's more demand due to more countries being able to use English language cards than any other TCG language, because English is the first or second legal language for cards in pretty much every country that has official The Pokemon Company International tournaments.

And you don't have to get it when it comes out. Just wait for the hype around it to die down and then pounce.

Though I'd like to see an example of a card that has a tournament legal printing that also has a print version available in older sets that's significantly cheaper. Old versions of Double Colorless Energy (base set and base set 2) actually are worth more than their new set counterparts (HGSS), and the same goes for the various versions of Rainbow Energy.

And like I said, all it takes is a single nitpicky friend about sticking to ALL current rules to make that card not worth your while.

Professor_Jiro

New Authority
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2012
    Hah well no i meant like, pokemon catcher is expensive... but i could just use gust of wind instead (its exactly the same effect). thats like 10 bucks compared to a few cents. That kind of thing.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    If you don't care about legality of cards, why not just make proxies? Unless you really like having an actual card. I personally don't bother getting cards that I don't want to compete with because the costs add up, if I want to make a fun deck I just make up some proxies. It's not like I'd be able to read a Japanese version anyway.

Professor_Jiro

New Authority
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2012
    Proxies? I mean, I use this one site to make custom cards for a card game i made. You saying something like Taking the images of front and back, and getting a fake (yet real) card made? It'd be tons cheaper i guess. lol. but. id feel kind of dirty inside

Years
    • CA
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    NO! that thing is like 10 bucks no lie and at my shop boosters are 2.50 so that a lot of boosters for 28 lol

Years
    People tend to use proxies when testing out decks or when testing out how cards not released in English yet would play.

Darkrai EX is definitely not worth just $10. It's pretty popular in Japan from what I can tell, so the market for it puts it at a pretty expensive price, and that's BEFORE paying shipping to America.

Professor_Jiro

New Authority
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2012
    Yeah.. 10 would be a miracle. point me in that direction if it was true. and 3.50 boosters? Lie. where?

Back