• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I go with a Pichu or Shinx?

NFK

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2007
    Which is better in the long run? I'm new to Pokemon, so I still don't know this stuff. I just got a Pichu, so should I raise that to replace my Luxio or just stick with my Luxio?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Luxio is better in my opinion so I would stick with it. He can survive more, has nice attack, but has not so good speed. Pikachu/Raichu is fast and has nice special attack but one attack from anything faster can murder it. It just depends on what you need to balance out your whole team. ^^

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2007
    I'd go with neither of them, to be perfectly honest! Diamond and Pearl really didn't do a good job as far as bring trype variation. In Sinnoh dex, the only fire Pokemon are Ponyta and Rapidash, and the only electric types are the Pikachu and Shinx evolution chains.

Neither option in Sinnohdex is preferable, or neccesary, as many of the obastacles that bend to electricity can be avoided by special sweepers such as Alakazam. Personally, I'd take the slot you're using for your electric pokemon and replace it with a more versatile pokemon, like one in the Starly evolution chain. I've had my level 68 Staraptor since I caught her at level 2 when I was only ten minutes into the game, and not only does she one-hit KO all of Aaron's pokemon, but she can throw down with most of the other elite four members' pokemon as well, but I digress.

So, to sum it all up (sorry for making this so long!), wait until you get the national dex to put an electric pokemon in your squad. And, if you'd rather not wait until nationaldex pokemon, then go for Luxray simply for two reasons: 1) His base stats are MUCH better, which gives him the potential to be a physical sweeper with the right moves, and 2)Luxray can learn Dark-type attacks, while raichu can't. This "Electric-Dark" combination of attacks can tackle a much more versatile spectrum of opponents than Raichu's Electric-only moves.

Just my two cents, again I'm very very sorry for making it so long!

Dragon Tamer Ed

Formerly DarkParukia
    Years
    It depends what role you want your electric-type to play. Raichu is faster than Luxray so he could make a decent annoyer with moves like Toxic or Thunderwave, but Luxray is better at just about everything else, so use him if you need a sweeper.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I'll go with shinx, because I like it. Also if you want speed Raichu is much quicker then a Luxray. But when it comes to attacking in anyway Luxray is stronger

:t354:tatsujin gosuto

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2007
    it depends on what you want to do... if you're just wanting to casually play the game and finish it, either one of them are good choices. if you're looking to own people on wifi and get into all this competitive crap, then find a better choice

and if i recall correctly, a pikachu with a light ball is much better than just a raichu... keep that in mind

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2007
    If you just want to beat the story with an electric type, choose Luxio. It's going to be a decent asset for your team the whole way through, and it has the benefit of doing well with Bite/Crunch, whereas I think Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu don't get any Dark-type moves.

As others have said, though... After E4, find another pokemon to replace whichever you choose.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
    Years
    Shinx all the way! Much cooler and as for moves, theyre awesome. Now for stats their decent and pichu is much faster then shinx but shinx has much better everything.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Luxray....It's the only stage 2 electric type pokemon that's useful in a sort of way (compare with ampharos)and just like others said...its much cooler :P

Lil-Dill

I need to change that ^
    Years
    I would go with Shinx if u want a strong electric Pokemon on ur team.
    If u want a fast electric Pokemon on ur team I would go with Pichu.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 8, 2009
    I can't tell you how many times I just saw the same thing being posted over and over again in this thread.
    I really prefer Raichu, because with breeding and TMs and such, you can end up with an annoyer.

Raichu@Light Ball
    Thunder Wave
    Thunderbolt
    Sweet Kiss
    Attract/Toxic

But with Luxray, all you have is another not so important Electric type.

Back