• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Should I play Fair?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I thought I made it pretty clear in my previous post:

All it takes is a little effort, and a good friend. Cheating over a computer game is just sad.
    I never said it didn't require an event, I said I, myself, never had to go to one. That is the magic of this thing called the internet. You can make friends with other people all over this world, even some that have or can go to Nintendo Events. There is ALWAYS a better option than copping out and cheating.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I thought I made it pretty clear in my previous post:

I never said it didn't require an event, I said I, myself, never had to go to one. That is the magic of this thing called the internet. You can make friends with other people all over this world, even some that have or can go to Nintendo Events. There is ALWAYS a better option than copping out and cheating.

OH, so you're using VBA, then...then what about a real-life cartridge?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    No, I am referring to my regular Emerald cart. I mailed it to a friend whom then gave me the "unobtainable" Pokes that I couldn't get myself.

eureKa^

Veteran
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    dont cheat :P

honestly its more fun if you dont, you just have to invest time (love and trust haha)

just get like a pikachu in viridian forest and love that or something

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
    I had to think for a second about this but yeah you really shouldn't cheat. True you won't be able to have a massively uber PWNERZUALL team, but what is the fun in that? I prefer to lavish time on pokemon I earned the hard way by catching. In fact, I don't train traded pokemon at all unlesss its necessaary of it was traded as an egg.

You would be suprised how many so-called uber teams i've flattened in the past with just pokemon I like. But then again, the people in my area sucked ;)

Of course I'm gonna hold it against you if you do.

Lavabyle

Merry Christmas!
    Years
    There's nothing wrong with cheating if you absolutely have to, don't want to spend money on other game, or noone else around plays the game. Don't feel guilty about it if you're not bragging about 3 starters or anything.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    No, I am referring to my regular Emerald cart. I mailed it to a friend whom then gave me the "unobtainable" Pokes that I couldn't get myself.

Then you're really lucky. Most people would refuse to do so (at least without some sort of payment).

Or the person didn't really go to the event......or just didn't care. Anyway you look at it, you got lucky.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    You cheat if you suck at the game...which would be pretty sad. =/ (*cough* AI for 5-year-olds)

*cough* event-only Pokemon *cough*

=/

But, yeah, if you have to cheat to actually BEAT the game, then you're in deep trouble.

Years
    Then you're really lucky. Most people would refuse to do so (at least without some sort of payment).

Or the person didn't really go to the event......or just didn't care. Anyway you look at it, you got lucky.

He really was lucky dat da person didn't giv out a phony address n disapear w/ his Emerald game pak. But honestly u shouldn't cheat. It kinda takes da fun out of da game. Anyway u can get all 3 starters from ur frens.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2006
    I am not one to cheat, myself.

However, I do have a few extra copies of Pokemon games lying around my house, and whenever I'm bored I do start over and cheat through until satisfied. I would never do this on my game where I'm actually trying to do well, as these extra copies are, well, extra. They're more of "I don't really mind if this Sapphire version messes up because I'm not going to persue it and have another Sapphire version that I actually care about.

Cheating is a relaxation thing for me. Never would I do it to make my team on my real game better.

Also, I believe cheating for unobtainable pokemon/event pokemon is iffy, but okay. [namely Mew, Deoxys, and Celebi]. Any other pokemon I trade from other games.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 5, 2022
    There are no unobtainable Pokes. I was able to complete my Pokedex without any cheating device or going to a Nintendo Event. All it takes is a little effort, and a good friend. Cheating over a computer game is just sad.

Whilst I agree with your ethics I think the way you are saying it pretty bad dude. The way you say it is that cheaters are the devil himself and should be burned at the stake or something. Also (Not that I am absolutly sure about this) I don't it is possible for Australians to get all 386 pkmn without cheating because you can't trade from PAL to NTSC and the events for the Legendaries like Mew Deoxys and such just didn't come here there was a nintendo event Pokemon the 10th aniversary but i later found out that the wonderspots weren't going to be there. So whilst cheating is indeed the slackers way out depending where you are and the type of game it may be the only way out. But don't go criticizing other peoples methods.

(Please do correct me if I am wrong on a couple of points but I don't think I am).

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 5, 2022
    PAL and NTSC differences exist only for the console games, not the handhelds. Australia uses the same game code as the Americans, where Europe modifies the code (Ruby and Sapphire in Europe, for example, involved removal of E-Reader functions). If anything, trading with Europeans would be a problem in the way. Apparently that isn't the case. Worldwide trading and compatibility is pretty much heavily promoted now, too.

Plus, Game Boy games aren't region-locked as the Game Boy hardware is region-free. (Same with the Nintendo DS but not the iQue DS.)

Following your argument about us being unable to obtain the Pokémon, and wanting to complete our National Dex, yes, the only resort is cheating. Nintendo of America's too stuck up to give us the machines.

Thank you for correcting me. I was wondering say we obtained the pokemon via a hacked rom put onto a flash cart then mixed records and such is that really considered cheating on the official cart?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Whilst I agree with your ethics I think the way you are saying it pretty bad dude. The way you say it is that cheaters are the devil himself and should be burned at the stake or something.
    LOL I just said that I think it is sad (i.e. laughable) that some people feel they must resort to cheating and that they must somehow justify it. Anything about Satan or witches or stakes are purely conjured up by your imagination, or perhaps your conscience.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 5, 2022
    Anything about Satan or witches or stakes are purely conjured up by your imagination, or perhaps your conscience.

That maybe

or perhaps your conscience.

that is not. Having said that on ROMs I do like to test what they do but I then usually wipe the game clean so as not to have any sort advantage by cheating. I also think it is just a game but if feel people need to then do it but if u screw it up the that is your own fault. I don't think it's sad but I also don't find much use to it. But come on if shane if someone showed you code (That you knew to work that is) To find a Charizard with a bone sticking out of it's head you would be pretty curious wouldn't hell i would be to.

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
    Well heres my suggesstion, firstly you have to think do you like the use of cheats, i mean do like feel better when you use them or do you feel annoyed because your cheating to beat the game. Personally i hate them as i feel that the game is just pointless if they are used. I understand your desire for all three starters but think choose your favourite then later on trade to get the rest. Pokemon is about making you think strategically getting a right balance in your team to develop a strong team to go on so you can beat the game catch them all and become a pokemon master.

Well thats my advice on your situation, hope i helped you make up your mind and remember one thing is it worth cheating?

Years
    There are a few simple reasons to not cheat.

1. It can wreck your game and you can't play it anymore.

2. On Red/Blue I cheated using a pelican device, a charizard with fire blast, thunder, solar beam and Hydro pump isn't as fun as you think.

3. Just spend a little more money and you got 2 games instead of one!

4. Not really fun to easily have all the pokemon in 20 mins of putting in codes.

A good reason to cheat:

Only reason: Mew/Celebi/ Deoxys/ Ho-oh/ Lugia

You missed the date to get them legit, or they never did it around where you live. That is the only reason anyone should cheat.

Superkid11

Covered in Shroomish
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 2, 2016
    It's your deicision really. With videogames ethics don't matter. :) But don't try to cheat to get instant KOs or 100% capture rate or anything like that. But sometimes using the cheats can make the game more enjoyable - but only if it ISN'T your first time through the game. You can use it to get the otherwise unobtainables like Celebi and stuff. Myself, I don't have any GBA cheating devices, but I personally glitched up my Gold and Silver versions with my Gameshark.

... and Shane... let me ask you something... if it IS a "silly computer game"... why should it matter weather they cheat or not? Infact, what you're doing sounds like a hell of a lot of effort(and too much trust in other people) to complete the pokedex. You're calling cheating on a silly video game is sad but by your logic isn't spending the time and effort that you said you've spent ALSO sad? You said it's not worth the time on a cheating device but what you've done is even MORE time. Contradiction, thy name is Shane.

Ethical problems aside, of which there are really none, the issue is what the cheating device can do to your game. Use a fake code or something and it's toast. I don't have any GBA gamesharks but I use the cloning glitch on Emerald... =P

Back