• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I watch the B&W Seasons or go straight to X&Y?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I think the main reason BW doesn't seem to be very popular was because it had the misfortune of being right after DP, which a lot of fans considered to be the high of the Pokemon anime series. Not because it's actually bad per se.

But personally I loved BW much more than DP for reasons I'll put down on another thread in the future. I'd recommend giving BW a try so you can form your own opinion (despite my being late in replying). The character interaction is adorable, the mains' Pokemon team mostly have a lot of personality and are fun to watch, and it can get really comical. But of course, like most series, it had its negative sides - some characters' personalities are basically rehashes of old characters but done poorly, Ash doesn't seem to be a good trainer as he used to be, and etc.

If you miss an entire series it would probably feel a bit strange since it's just.. so many episodes. :( So I'd recommend giving it a try and coming back to it later if it's not to your liking.

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
  • You don't need to watch all of them, but it can be handy.
    Black and white can be though to keep watching, sometimes it's really boring!

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    BW series not only pathetic , This series also ruin other character ether by over-glorifying them or trashing them.
    Iris for example ! She doesn't even feel like a future champion. This series also ruin the meaning of Dragon Master !
    BW series try to establish ''Dragon Master'' as some Super-Natural being who came from Dragon Village & has Telepathic Power !
    When Dragon Master should be refer to trainer who master the use of Dragon Pokemon !!!
    During Important battle , All Iris does is rising her hand and use her ''Dragon sense'' just so Dragonite can land one little punch.

HOW ABOUT USING A PROPER & REAL TACTIC WITH DRAGONITE RATHER THEN RELYING ON ''DRAGON SENSE'' CRAP ???

Ash defected Clare and he didn't need any super-power ! Same as Other trainer who beaten Clair.
    The series make it feel like it impossible for anyone to be a ''Dragon Master'' without Super-natural power .
    Its total crap !
    Having Dragonite nether made Iris Popular Or establish her as a Powerful Dragon trainer.
    People started to hate her even more .
    I believe Iris might have been a lot more Popular if she just had a Altaria and defect other powerful trainer using Axew & Altaria .
    Same As Trip !
    He would be popular if he was treat as a beginner who learn from Ash yet act like a ''Straight-man'' toward him & Alder .
    Therefore Skip BW Series and go straight to XY Series .

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I'd say go ahead and give it a go - if you don't like it, you can always stop watching it. Not to mention by the time you're done with it, there will be more of XY out for you to watch.

Personally, I don't think BW was THAT bad...it wasn't as entertaining as the DP seasons to me, but it was a hell of a lot better than the Advanced seasons, if only for the Plasma plot. It didn't do much for Ash's character, but then, I think DP is the exception to the rule in regards to character development, especially when it comes to Ash, a.k.a. The Boy Who Never Learns.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Personally, I don't think BW was THAT bad...it wasn't as entertaining as the DP seasons to me, but it was a hell of a lot better than the Advanced seasons, if only for the Plasma plot. It didn't do much for Ash's character, but then, I think DP is the exception to the rule in regards to character development, especially when it comes to Ash, a.k.a. The Boy Who Never Learns.

The Plasma plot wasn't even handled that well, and everything else was worse than the Advance seasons. The only real benefit of BW was Cilan.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I think the main reason BW doesn't seem to be very popular was because it had the misfortune of being right after DP, which a lot of fans considered to be the high of the Pokemon anime series. Not because it's actually bad per se.

But personally I loved BW much more than DP for reasons I'll put down on another thread in the future. I'd recommend giving BW a try so you can form your own opinion (despite my being late in replying). The character interaction is adorable, the mains' Pokemon team mostly have a lot of personality and are fun to watch, and it can get really comical. But of course, like most series, it had its negative sides - some characters' personalities are basically rehashes of old characters but done poorly, Ash doesn't seem to be a good trainer as he used to be, and etc.

If you miss an entire series it would probably feel a bit strange since it's just.. so many episodes. :( So I'd recommend giving it a try and coming back to it later if it's not to your liking.

To be truthful DP was never consider to be the high point of the anime and i do believe fans have mixed opinions about it.

BW was more enjoyable to watch then DP, i say watch BW first and then go onto watching XY since it has been so good so far.

Detective Benny

One truth prevails
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    I'd say at least give BW a chance, it's awesome! It has fun characters, good episode plots, and pretty much nearly anything one could ask for in a Pokemon adapatation.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    I'd say at least give BW a chance, it's awesome! It has fun characters, good episode plots, and pretty much nearly anything one could ask for in a Pokemon adapatation.

Hardly.

I'd at least give it a whirl. Recommend watching in japanese with subs. Skip the decolora filler hell at the end, minus maybe the last episode.

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • Only having seen a little bit of the BW anime, I'd just say skip it and go to X/Y. I personally didn't care for it. It had the pleasure of boring me to near tears.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019

Best Wishs is a trash of a series that favor prodigy and Luck over Hard work & Experience .
    No matter what reality is , In Anime People want to see Prodigy & Luck being taken down by Hard work & experience .
    Most People doesn't even mind an Overpowered protagonist if he/she was an untalented underdog who became Overpowered Protagonist though hard work .
    That why , If Ash become overpowered then it wouldn't affect the story since Ash was the total opposite of a Prodigy .
    Instate Kids might admire him for being so strong without borne Talent .
    Plus , An Overpower Protagonist need an Overpowered rival & impossible challenge to overcome in order to balance out the story .
    However , Best wishs did the opposite.
    After 5 year of Hard work , Ash has to be inferior to a complete beginner like Trip just because he's some sort of Prodigy .
    Honestly , If you like Prodigy & Luck then I can guess where your love for Best Wishs come from.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Best wishes is a great series it deserve to be given a chance a lot more better then the trash call DP, the XY series has been good so far.

Detective Benny

One truth prevails
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    Best Wishs is a trash of a series that favor prodigy and Luck over Hard work & Experience .
    No matter what reality is , In Anime People want to see Prodigy & Luck being taken down by Hard work & experience .
    Most People doesn't even mind an Overpowered protagonist if he/she was an untalented underdog who became Overpowered Protagonist though hard work .
    That why , If Ash become overpowered then it wouldn't affect the story since Ash was the total opposite of a Prodigy .
    Instate Kids might admire him for being so strong without borne Talent .
    Plus , An Overpower Protagonist need an Overpowered rival & impossible challenge to overcome in order to balance out the story .
    However , Best wishs did the opposite.
    After 5 year of Hard work , Ash has to be inferior to a complete beginner like Trip just because he's some sort of Prodigy .
    Honestly , If you like Prodigy & Luck then I can guess where your love for Best Wishs come from.

And XY isn't?
    You can't speak for everyone, some people might want experience to take down prodigies like you said, OR the other way around.
    If Ash is overpowered to the point where only an "overpowered rival/impossible challenge" can take him on, where's the conflict then?
    Ash had to be inferior to Drew when they battled, also Ash has beaten trainers smarter, older and more experienced than him.
    Your last sentence missed my point.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Please don't revive threads that haven't received any posts in over a month. Since you recently created a thread with a similar topic, I encourage all further discussion to go there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back