• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should parents have the right to homeschool?

Years
    My main concern would not be whether or not the student is being educated properly, but whether or not they'd be maturing socially. High school isn't just about learning the content, it's also about preparing people for college (if that's where they choose to end up) and building them as a social being.

From personal observation I think homeschooling can have negative social effects. The social interactions one has in a school environment prepare you for later on in life more than many people realise.

My main concern would not be whether or not the student is being educated properly, but whether or not they'd be maturing socially. High school isn't just about learning the content, it's also about preparing people for college (if that's where they choose to end up) and building them as a social being.

From personal observation I think homeschooling can have negative social effects. The social interactions one has in a school environment prepare you for later on in life more than many people realise.

That. ^ Thank you.

Being a social recluse is not a good thing people, and not just from a friendship perspective. Employers will not hire people with bad social skills or those who can't interact with others probably. You need to be out there and be exposed to the real world, real situations, where mom and dad can't orchestrate your life for you.

N64

LOL WUT?
    Years
    I don't see why not? I am homeschooled and I'm just fine and I'm smarter then most kids in my public school. Sure there are homeschooled kids who aren't getting the proper education but do you know how many public schools kids are failing and not getting a proper education compared to homeschooed kids? If you've done research it's more. I know alot of kids when I was in public school ( I started freshman year of HS) that don't care and are failing compared to the homeschooled kids I know that are really smart and outgoing. It does suck sometimes because you don't meet as many people and don't have as many friends but there's downsides to both. Since I can drive and got a job its all going smooth so if it's done right I don't see a problem with homeschooling. :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    One of the things people are assuming are that the parent HAS another reasonable choice. I know that I was put into a private, religious school after my freshman year of high school, because the school I went to was horrible. Trash cans lit on fire and thrown down hallways, evacuations for toxic fumes from people setting plastic on fire, bomb threats. If I didn't have the means to pay for school (or didn't get the aid I needed), I would be stuck in a horrible school with literal danger around me.

There are times when homeschooling is the right option outside of "I don't agree with science herp derp". I'm not saying this is the only other reason, just saying that there's more to it than the judgmental people claiming that they know every reason why homeschooling happens, and they're 99% negative.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    I'm fine with homeschooling as long as they are doing all the same stuff as people in actual school would do. I know most homeschooled children have to be, for a variety of reasons.

I know a girl who is homeschooled, she just sits on Facebook all day. :/

Years
    I'm fine with homeschooling as long as they are doing all the same stuff as people in actual school would do. I know most homeschooled children have to be, for a variety of reasons.

I know a girl who is homeschooled, she just sits on Facebook all day. :/

I agree.

That's why I'd advocate for tighter restrictions on it so that doesn't happen. But I think the privilege needs to be there for those who need it.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    The idea of homeschooling seems such an alien idea that I had to research the actual extent of it before coming up with a response to the question. In the UK, 0.17% of schoolchildren are homeschooled, in comparison to 2.9% of US schoolchildren. A US Department of Education report cited three main reasons for parents taking their kids out of the school system:

• Concern about the school environment. This includes reasons such safety, drugs, or negative peer pressure.
    • Concern about the school providing religious or moral instruction
    • Dissatisfaction with the academic instruction available at other schools
    The second one concerns me the most, but is the one that has the largest judicial support, what with the Supreme Court case of Wisconsin v. Yoder finding that Amish children could not be placed under compulsory education past 8th grade due to a violation of the parents' right to freedom of religion. It's also troubling that one of the main reasons the US has not, as of yet, ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (and is the only country not to do so apart from Somalia) because of lobbying from religious conservative organisations such as the Home School Legal Defense Association. By claiming that all educational facilities have to meet certain standardized criteria with regard to children's welfare, groups like the HSLDA feel like their moral rights as parents have been violated because they can't discipline their child in the way they'd want to if they answered a question wrong in homeschool.

It's this perceived lack of regulation, and the variability of US states in enforcing it, that also bothers me to some extent. The potential for free reign to remove children simply due to dissatisfaction with the school, if not remedied with the hiring of a trained professional feels less like a liberation from the oppression of the public (or private) education system, and more like a danger that the children in question will be taught some narrow-minded viewpoint which may be academically dubious but in line with the parents' rights on how to raise their child.

I'm not going to mention the issues regarding social integration; I agree with them, but they've been argued well by posters above me and this is already getting to the stages of tl;dr. Many people probably have a good time in homeschool, but my problem with it is more to do with the rationale of parents taking their kids out of the education system in the first place, and the loose and variable standards homeschool education has to fall under.

So, in an incredibly long-winded way, to answer the question: I don't necessarily think parents should have a right to homeschool their child, as it's a very powerful legal tool to possess, but I think the option should be available for the right reasons and under heavily regulated circumstances.

^SuitUp^

Awesome Soon to be Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2012
    Kids will learn better if their home schooled but should have some sort of social contact, like only go to school by recess and be home schooled for the rest of the day.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    Homeschooling- Pros and Cons:

Pros:

- Children are taught according to their learning styles and interests.

- Parents have more control over how and what their children are taught.

- Children can progress slowly or quickly, according to their abilities.

- Schedules revolve around family and allow time to bond with parents and siblings.

- Flexible schedules allow time for breaks, field trips, vacations etc.

- A lot cheaper than private school.

- Parents can transmit their values to children and shelter them from negative influence.

Cons:

- Parents/guardian take on sole responsibility for their children's education.

- Parents may feel inadequate to address the needs of gifted and special needs students.

- Extended time with family can strain tense relationships or lead to burnout on the part of the teaching parent.

- Parents must purchase own materials and still pay public school taxes.

- Parents must search for activities such as sports and music that are easily accessible at school.

- Parents must give children increasing independence and a chance to learn to stand for their values.

Private/Public schools- pros and cons:

• Private School- Pros
      • Private schools focus on specific topics.
      • Smaller class sizes.
      • Private schools have better books and supplies.
      • More access to up-to-date computers.
      • Curriculum is more challenging.

• Private School- Cons
      • Cost.
      • Teachers are not required to have a teaching degree, just knowledge of the subject they will be teaching.
      • Less diverse choices in subjects.
      • No special education classes available.
      • Students must pass an entrance exam to be admitted.

• Public School- Pros
      • More choice in curriculum.
      • Builds community relationships for both parent and student.
      • Access to sports programs.
      • Access to arts and music programs.
      • Teachers are certified educational instructors.
      • Low cost.
      • More school days-off from school. lol.

• Public School- Cons
      • Larger class sizes.
      • Exposure to unacceptable lifestyles at public schools.
      • Classes are taught at a mid-learning level, which may cause advanced learners to become bored.
      • Limited access to learning materials.
      • Outdated textbooks.
      • More Peer pressure.
    I personally think parents should not be allowed to home school their kids, as it may make them less socialized.

some random article I found on google said:
    92 percent of superintendents believe that home learners are emotionally unstable, deprived of proper social development and too judgmental of the world around them, according to a California study by researcher Dr. Brian Ray .

Ooh, nearly forgot- Many teachers also believe that successful home instruction by uncredentialed parents undermines their expertise and jeopardizes their jobs.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I personally think parents should not be allowed to home school their kids, as it may make them less socialized.

Ooh, nearly forgot- Many teachers also believe that successful home instruction by uncredentialed parents undermines their expertise and jeopardizes their jobs.

Homeschooling doesn't always apply to parents teaching children. Homeschooling is also the phrase used when a private tutor is hired, who may have a teaching degree, or multiple tutors for different subjects.

Also, taking the "beliefs" of superintendents as fact might not be the best thing to do. :P Especially considering, at least in California, schools are funded based on how many students attend, so the more students they can get out of homeschooling and into their own schools, the more money they make.

I still stand by my belief that if homeschooling was outlawed, people that are bright but poor would be screwed. I would prefer to be homeschooled than to go to the high school I was in for my freshman year. Fortunately I could afford (with serious help) the local private school, otherwise I would be severely limited in my academic potential.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Let me preface this by saying that I'm a product of the Texas public education system. I've known maybe two people irl that were homeschooled and that was so far back that I can't even remember their names. XD

Parents should have every right to homeschool their children, just so long as they themselves are educated enough (by the local school board) to be well-versed in the subjects and/or they hire a private tutor. One of the aforementioned homeschooled girls I mentioned in the prior paragraph was fortunate enough to have two university professors for parents, so that requirement is taken care of. XD

On the subject of social development, on my graduation day I was one of the most socially awkward people you'd ever meet (I've since then been downgraded to just being that quiet, weird person that says things that are just a little off...). On the other hand, the girl I know is one of the most outgoing and sociable people I've ever known. There's definitely little correlation between schooling situation and social development. XD

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Let me preface this by saying that I'm a product of the Texas public education system. I've known maybe two people irl that were homeschooled and that was so far back that I can't even remember their names. XD

Parents should have every right to homeschool their children, just so long as they themselves are educated enough (by the local school board) to be well-versed in the subjects and/or they hire a private tutor. One of the aforementioned homeschooled girls I mentioned in the prior paragraph was fortunate enough to have two university professors for parents, so that requirement is taken care of. XD

On the subject of social development, on my graduation day I was one of the most socially awkward people you'd ever meet (I've since then been downgraded to just being that quiet, weird person that says things that are just a little off...). On the other hand, the girl I know is one of the most outgoing and sociable people I've ever known. There's definitely little correlation between schooling situation and social development. XD

A friend of mine who is in 9th Grade (don't ask) is currently homeschooled. He's very outgoing and has a lot of girls he flirts with. That just goes to show that the way you were educated doesn't make you a social bee or a social outcast.

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    Honestly, I've never been homeschooled. Despite the fact that homeschools can provide proper education, the student's ability to socialize may be somewhat.....limited, though that is not always the case. I myself will have to disagree with homeschooling for this sole reason, but as long as the requirements are met, and the student can mature socially, then homeschooling can be a viable option.

Back