• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should parents have the right to homeschool?

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I think if the parent wants to homeschool there kid they can. It is there choice. The goverment shouldn't have any say in it.

Rena Ryuugu

はぅ〜
    Years
  • I'm homeschooled, and I enjoy the way it works. It's a lot more free, my mom and older sister teach me, and it's great. There's a lot more freedom involved with homeschooling than there is in public school. I mean there's still a good amount of work but it's more casual, if that makes any sense. All of the stress from public school really isn't there.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    Homeschooling and Public schooling are two completely different environments. Not everyone can deal with one or the other. Some people just don't have the ability to sit in classrooms for like seven hours straight. It is extremely taxing, actually, especially as the classes require more and more focus.

From the people I know that do attend homeschool, they only complain about one thing: they never get to see any of their friends. They always talk about how it is so much easier and all that, except for they don't make a lot of friends, and those that they do make they don't see very often.

I have no problem with either type of schooling, in general. It boils down specifically to the situation. I would prefer to utilize whichever method taught me best. I mean, if I wasn't understanding everything that was going on in school, then I wouldn't get passing grades. That is.. what one should strive to achieve. But some people just need more attention than teachers tend to be able to give them. I'm lucky, and go to a relatively small school, so I don't have to worry about that.

The quality of education doesn't depend on the type. It depends on who is teaching, what they teaching, and how good of a teacher they are. Now, with that said, I can segue in and answer the real question. Parents should only be able to home school if they have the ability(or pay/know someone who has it) to teach a child.

Last edited:

~Darkness~

NJ All Day
    Years
  • I was home schooled once. I cant say I remember much because it was in kindergarten. Oh well, but I was ready for first grade after. I dont see problems with it.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I know a lot of people (from the internet, at any rate) who were homeschooled. Some were homeschooled traditionally, with their parents teaching them the curriculum. Others taught themselves through textbooks, some with online school, and others still with the private tutor option. To be honest, it was usually the ones who were taught by their parents who had the best social skills (from what I could tell--online is a tricky medium) because the parents took such a vested interest in their kids that they didn't want them sheltered from everything. They went to church (or participated in the local community), participated in homeschool gatherings (like at local amusement parks), and generally tried to make sure their kids weren't lacking in any area. Now obviously, not all were like this, and not all parents will do this, but immediately disregarding homeschooling as a viable option because it doesn't teach social skills isn't really fair. Some schools can be scary and dangerous, especially those in poorer areas, and if someone is somewhat sheltered relationship-wise because they avoided situations that could have been potentially dangerous, I don't think that's a bad thing.

I think if parents are willing to front the time and effort to homeschooling--that is, making sure their children are following the curriculum and learning everything the state/province/whatever says they should be-- then it's fine. I sort of consider it kind of like a private school. The parents have to be willing to invest some of their own funds (as opposed to simply sending their child to a free public school) in their child's "abnormal" education, but I don't think it should be all on the parents. I also agree that there should be some sort of funding for homeschooling. Maybe a subsidiary for textbooks or something. I don't really have a clear opinion on this part, unfortunately. I do think that if someone NEEDS to be homeschooled (they're really ill, have social disorders that nearly prevent them from attending a public school, etc.) then the government should cover the costs of teaching that student, be it the cost of a tutor or the teaching supplies for the parents to do it themselves.

Homeschooling definitely wouldn't have been a good option for me, even though I begged for it at one point in my life, but I can appreciate that it's an excellent option for other people.

Anthraxinsoup

Professional Vidya Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    I went to normal school, then did like 3 years of homeschooling here and there, I liked it better. I learned more in my 7th grade year at home than I have learned in highschool. I'll pull some good will hunting on this place, haha, it's true, read and you learn more for 5 dollars. Never studied past 7th grade other than in math and I got all As.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • What, and spread their stupidity onto the child? At least give the poor tyke a chance to have a different opinion.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • IF AND ONLY IF THEY HAVE BEEN PROPERLY TRAINED OR HAVE HIRED A TUTOR.

The government should REQUIRE a lesser certification in teaching. Perhaps something along the lines of a semester's worth of college lessons in a few things.
    (Or an Associates Degree in any field so they at least have some basic college knowledge.)
    If the parent has neither, and they hire a properly trained tutor, that is just as well too.
    As long as the kid can pass State Administered standardized tests, it's OK.

Now I'm not advocating it, in fact I think homeschooling children is a stupid idea for the most part, because they DO need that social interaction too. However, I also recognize that some parents simply WON'T agree with something the school is required to teach. It could be that the child is so excessively bullied by other children, that it is indeed right for them to be withdrawn from school for a few years of their school life.

Years
  • What, and spread their stupidity onto the child? At least give the poor tyke a chance to have a different opinion.

^ That.

For that reason I think some sort of higher regulation or guidance is needed to ensure the child doesn't end up an ignorant clone of their parent, with no views of their own. It needs some objectivity.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    What, and spread their stupidity onto the child? At least give the poor tyke a chance to have a different opinion.

^ That.

For that reason I think some sort of higher regulation or guidance is needed to ensure the child doesn't end up an ignorant clone of their parent, with no views of their own. It needs some objectivity.

Why are we assuming that a parent is stupid and ignorant just because they want to homeschool their child?

Years
  • Why are we assuming that a parent is stupid and ignorant just because they want to homeschool their child?

Because a significant amount of home schooled children are homeschooled because of their parents own notions- which are often misguided. I just went through this very issue in my own family a few weeks ago. My aunt pulled my cousin out of high school, in the middle of the semester, because she felt the school was full of "druggies, immoral people, non-Christians, and bad influences" and she seemed to think she could do better, despite the fact she'd never even set foot in an institute of higher learning before, so she had no clue what she was doing. Not to mention I had several friends growing up who experienced the same problem. Now do all home schooled children fall under that umbrella? No, of course not. But many do.

Anthraxinsoup

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011

Because a significant amount of home schooled children are homeschooled because of their parents own notions- which are often misguided. I just went through this very issue in my own family a few weeks ago. My aunt pulled my cousin out of high school, in the middle of the semester, because she felt the school was full of "druggies, immoral people, non-Christians, and bad influences" and she seemed to think she could do better, despite the fact she'd never even set foot in an institute of higher learning before, so she had no clue what she was doing. Not to mention I had several friends growing up who experienced the same problem. Now do all home schooled children fall under that umbrella? No, of course not. But many do.
    That isn't what my mom let me go for two or three years for. I just wasn't having trouble and I asked her. My last year was the 7th grade, and I didn't study any since then other than in math and made straight A's.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    That isn't what my mom let me go for two or three years for. I just wasn't having trouble and I asked her. My last year was the 7th grade, and I didn't study any since then other than in math and made straight A's.

This is a bit off-topic, but how are students schooled by their parents graded? I hope the parents don't grade them, or they could just assign all A's.

Anthraxinsoup

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    This is a bit off-topic, but how are students schooled by their parents graded? I hope the parents don't grade them, or they could just assign all A's.
    They grade them with the book, or the state can grade them depending on the state. Thing is, I got out of home schooling at the 7th grade and got all A's in normal school with out studying other than in math ever again.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • This is a bit off-topic, but how are students schooled by their parents graded? I hope the parents don't grade them, or they could just assign all A's.
    Not to mention, it is required that the child meets a certified educator to check if they are up to par to where they should be at that level at least once a year. So, even if the parents were slipping them "A's," - which I doubt as I'm sure the parent would want their child to actually be learning something if they're taking their time out of the day to sit down and teach them - they would be tested by an official educator or the state, which will score whether or not they're actually learning the material given and if they deserve those given grades.

I was home schooled online my last two years of high school, I didn't really enjoy it compared to a public high school. While I probably did learn some material better than I might have in a traditional school, I much prefer the social environment and being able to get out and learn something face to face by an instructor. This goes especially for math, I pick up on math better in a traditional school than online.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013

In Texas at least, each system of student and teacher is considered a private school. The person who takes responsibility for the child can choose to pass or fail the child for each grade as they see fit, until they "graduate". A parent could, if they wanted, keep the student failed until they're 25. You sign up properly, and the state of Texas provides a high-school diploma. Tests like the SAT, ACT, etc. end up being a big part of gauging your overall educatedness (real word).

I still contend that you don't have to have a degree to teach your own child. If you know how to teach who you're teaching and have the correct resources, you don't even have to understand what it is you're trying to teach. Promise.

Why do y'all seem to think that parents can't raise children to think for themselves? Honest question. Even if they end up "spreading their stupidity" there's plenty of clashing and doubt to go around after you turn 18. We aren't missing out on anything.

Now, would making homeschooling unlawful infringe on the rights of the parents or the children? Because we're all about "rights" here~

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Why are we assuming that a parent is stupid and ignorant just because they want to homeschool their child?
    I never said that all parents who homeschool their children are stupid. I'm sure there are some who are completely rational and qualified to educate their children such that the kids will have a chance to come to their own opinions on issues. However, I'm equally convinced that said group is an insignificant minority and, additionally, that there wouldn't be anything gained from homeschooling that the child couldn't learn through a formalized school system. The vast majority of homeschooled children are taught either by unqualified idiots who think they can do a better job than people who have training and experience and/or by people who want to prevent their children from developing any opinion that isn't their own (usually both).

People who deny hundreds of years of mathematical and scientific breakthroughs because they read a book or website by some guy who made a bunch of absurd claims merely garner my pity; people who try to force this "knowledge" onto their children (or others in general), however, make me furious (it's worth noting that such "sources" are often full of misleading statements, outright lies, and straw men arguments that could easily be refuted by anyone with a minimal background of the area of study in question).

And I remain unconvinced that even the most qualified homeschool parent is as effective a teacher as someone with training and experience in the field.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I never said that all parents who homeschool their children are stupid. I'm sure there are some who are completely rational and qualified to educate their children such that the kids will have a chance to come to their own opinions on issues. However, I'm equally convinced that said group is an insignificant minority and, additionally, that there wouldn't be anything gained from homeschooling that the child couldn't learn through a formalized school system. The vast majority of homeschooled children are taught either by unqualified idiots who think they can do a better job than people who have training and experience and/or by people who want to prevent their children from developing any opinion that isn't their own (usually both).

People who deny hundreds of years of mathematical and scientific breakthroughs because they read a book or website by some guy who made a bunch of absurd claims merely garner my pity; people who try to force this "knowledge" onto their children (or others in general), however, make me furious (it's worth noting that such "sources" are often full of misleading statements, outright lies, and straw men arguments that could easily be refuted by anyone with a minimal background of the area of study in question).

And I remain unconvinced that even the most qualified homeschool parent is as effective a teacher as someone with training and experience in the field.

"I didn't say all homeschool parents were stupid, I implied it and believe the one's who aren't are a (statistically?) insignificant minority."
    That's about what I pulled from the first paragraph.

I have only one question I feel worth the asking: what's your definition of qualified?

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • My main concern would not be whether or not the student is being educated properly, but whether or not they'd be maturing socially. High school isn't just about learning the content, it's also about preparing people for college (if that's where they choose to end up) and building them as a social being.

From personal observation I think homeschooling can have negative social effects. The social interactions one has in a school environment prepare you for later on in life more than many people realise.

My main concern would not be whether or not the student is being educated properly, but whether or not they'd be maturing socially. High school isn't just about learning the content, it's also about preparing people for college (if that's where they choose to end up) and building them as a social being.

From personal observation I think homeschooling can have negative social effects. The social interactions one has in a school environment prepare you for later on in life more than many people realise.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I beleive they do have the right if they are properly trained to teach their children some material...after all in some way or another each one of us is home schooled by our parents at some point...only we don't see it as such.

Back