• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should people be able to own guns?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Against, because innocent bystanders get killed by guns, not fists and with guns being illegal you wouldn't see as many school shootings, suicides, accidents, etc.

You think people who shoot up schools and do drive by get their guns legally?
    You think they take the time to get licensed and register their gun before they get them? Of course not. So how does banning guns lower those crime rates?

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I think people should be able to use them only when someone is pointing a gun at them. This could limit problems with accidental deaths that guns often cause. Do you agree?

That makes perfect sense, but both of us know that that isn't simply how life works. There's gonna be that one person that doesn't give a damn about the rules.

I think that people should be able to own guns, but only under special reasons, and they have to go through documents and such, and the selling of them should be governed by the government. Sounds a lot like how they actually do it, if I'm right.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    Yes they should and they should be able to shoot someone if they attack them.

Years
  • You think people who shoot up schools and do drive by get their guns legally?
    You think they take the time to get licensed and register their gun before they get them? Of course not. So how does banning guns lower those crime rates?
    All guns start out legitimate. They're bought at gun shows or whatnot, then get sold or passed around or stolen. Some of the guns used at Columbine were bought legally before they were sold to the shooters. If guns couldn't be produced, imported, and sold here (or anywhere) there would be a much smaller pool from which criminals could get guns. So unless there are illegal gun factories that cater to criminals I think the fewer legal guns allowed the fewer there will be for criminals to get their hands on.

Years
  • All guns start out legitimate. They're bought at gun shows or whatnot, then get sold or passed around or stolen. Some of the guns used at Columbine were bought legally before they were sold to the shooters. If guns couldn't be produced, imported, and sold here (or anywhere) there would be a much smaller pool from which criminals could get guns. So unless there are illegal gun factories that cater to criminals I think the fewer legal guns allowed the fewer there will be for criminals to get their hands on.

Not strictly true, you can purchase gun replicas for decorative purposes, these can then be "modified" into to real guns, same can be done with air rifles and the likes as well I believe. Some guns roll straight off the black market.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    If I was wandering around in New York looking vulnerable I'd be mugged in an instant. If I'm carrying my 9mm or .45 with me on my lovely stroll muggers wouldn't be so quick to mug me.
    That as may be, but if I was walking around London looking looking vulnerable there would be a small chance of me being mugged. If I'm carrying my 9mm or .45 with me on my lovely stroll I would be arrested in an instant.

Seriously, do you think gang bangers, robbers, etc. take the time to register their gun and get licensed before commiting their crimes? I think not.

@___@

gang bangers? I hope you have a different definition to that as me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2012
    I'll just say that I feel I was very fortunate that my father happened to have one of his pistols on him when a homeless, crazy man came at him and I with a machete out on the private property my family owns of the Sandia (Albuquerque, NM) mountains as my mother and 85-year-old great-grandmother were asleep in a house less than a quarter-mile away. He and I would be dead had he not had the right to carry and use his firearm.

I understand and respect people with opposing viewpoints on this issue considering I once was, ironically, on their side.

Years
  • this is a tricky one. there are certain people who are responsible enough to use a gun only for self defense, hunting, sport, and such. but there are those who will abuse it and can misuse it. there should be rigorous testing before you are allowed to own one.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
  • Should people be able to own guns?

sorry, i just had to include this (seeing that no one else had before me.. o_o)

people should just use throwing stars instead.
    they have the potential to inflict some serious damage
    Spoiler:

all joking aside...

What's with all the paranoid people thinking they're going to be victims of armed burglaries? If you confront a robber with a gun they're going to be almost certain to use theirs and then you have bullets flying. I don't see how this is a safer way to keep your home safe than just letting a burglar have your wallet.

i agree with this
    even so, there are the "exceptions" to the rule: people who just happen to get caught in the wrong time at the wrong place D:

ideally, only responsible people would be allowed to have guns, but that'd be hard to regulate

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Bolt Action Rifles and selected shotguns should be allowed for hunting and avaliable to anyone with a hunting liscence and over 18. Semi automatics should only be allowed to people who can prove they can be trusted with them and should only be allowed to be used at regulated shooting ranges.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Against, because innocent bystanders get killed by guns, not fists and with guns being illegal you wouldn't see as many school shootings, suicides, accidents, etc.
    Funny thing, that, because innocent bystanders also get killed with knives. And yeah, without guns, you wouldn't see as many school shootings, because you can't really shoot someone without a gun. And lol@you thinking making guns illegal will reduce suicides. If someone wants to die, they'll find a way to kill themselves. Accidents, much the same. People can fall over on the street and die, people can cut themselves with a knife, so it's not just guns that participate in everything you mentioned.

And hey, without guns we'd also see a lot less meat and vegetables! :D

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    All guns start out legitimate. They're bought at gun shows or whatnot, then get sold or passed around or stolen. Some of the guns used at Columbine were bought legally before they were sold to the shooters. If guns couldn't be produced, imported, and sold here (or anywhere) there would be a much smaller pool from which criminals could get guns. So unless there are illegal gun factories that cater to criminals I think the fewer legal guns allowed the fewer there will be for criminals to get their hands on.

Like people who get illegal drugs, people will find a way to get guns. Heroin starts off as legitimate? No. Outlawing guns will mean only outlaws will have them.

That as may be, but if I was walking around London looking looking vulnerable there would be a small chance of me being mugged. If I'm carrying my 9mm or .45 with me on my lovely stroll I would be arrested in an instant.

@___@

gang bangers? I hope you have a different definition to that as me.

1) That's because people don't have rights in the UK.

2) Ganger bangers: Members of a street gang xD

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Criminals are criminals for a reason. If a criminal wants a gun, they'll find a way to get one. Banning guns would probably affect people who use it for defense (protecting their home and children, for example) since usually they're the ones who would follow the law compared to people who would use it for illegal purposes.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I think bullets should be taxed more heavily, because when a person owns a gun for self defense, there is absolutely no need for them to have more than just a few. I am not a person who would ever feel paranoid enough to own a gun, but I'm not going to stop anybody. I think it's stupid to associate owning a gun with some sort of patriotism. Guns are meant to kill people, and I don't think anyone should forget that.

Back