• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Should Platinum be called Platinum?!

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
    EDIT: To above post ^^
    There's no certainty Platinum represents Steel.
    Don't forget about the newly discovered Dark type...
    Since theres two new types, there'd be room for speculation
    as to why they chose Steel over dark.

And here's a post to break your theory of them naming it based on the mascot:

They clearly chose "crystal" as the third version of Gen 2, right?
    It's not like they expected to name it crystal, it just so happened that
    crystal was the colour representing Suicune. Or...

They already chose crystal as the name.
    Really, Suicune doesn't really have any crystals..
    Just some weird symbol attached to his head along
    with some cloudy flowing stuff. But anyway,
    if they chose the name that represents the
    third of the trio (ie Pkmn Red + Green = Charizard and Venasaur.
    third of the starters is Blastoise = Pkmn Blue. Same with
    Rayquaza and Giratina), why would they choose
    suicune? Suicune has it's own trio. Why
    not Celebi? Celebi was the only other outcast.
    Now, Celebi has his own class, along with Mew
    and Jirachi and Shaymin and stuff. But
    at the time, there was no trend, right?
    And celebi seemed to be the other one left.

If the title is based on the mascot,
    why is the mascot suicune and not Celebi?

Thus, it's clear that the name comes before the mascot..

Years
    Well, I don't really mind, as long as Pokemon games are still being produced, I'm fine. xD
    And since it affiliates with the PokeSpe manga, I'd rather it not change.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    It's what's in the game that matters, not just the name. I feel that the game should be called Platinum simply because it fits in with the legendary Pokemon you encounter.

Years
    I assume they named Pearl Pearl because Palkia has a pearl. Same for Diamond. With Giratina, it is less obvious but the creator probably intended for it's spikes to be made of Platinum. Therefore, the name is going to be Platinum. So yes, it should be.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    It's just a name.

I really wouldn't even care if they called it Pokémon Eternity, it'll still be awesome. :P

Valeran

Miserable Memories
    Years
    It's not like the title really needs to make sense. Crystal doesn't make any sense either. Despite what someone above said, or at least implied, Suicune's colour (blue) has nothing at all to do with Crystal.

Crystal has no particular substance or colour, since it's not exactly a substance, like gold or silver, but rather how to define the construction of certain substances.

Platinum does make some sense at least. Diamonds, Pearls and the substance Platinum are some times, some degree of white/greyish/silverish in terms of colouring. Also all considered precious and rare.

Fairly certain that spikes made out of Platinum wouldn't be very effective, precious metals aren't known for thier strength or durability.

NDS525

-NO SIGNAL-
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2012
    I think it's fine!
    I'm just waiting for the future names. Should they be gases (hydrogen and oxygen) or liquids (mercury and water)?
    We will have to wait!

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2009
    In germany it is called "Platin" xD But the english kids are really lucky, in Germany the kids cn buy it in 22th Mai... this is unfair!

And the name of the next games are maybe called like colour again. Nintendo has told us so

Last edited:

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    Hey hey hey... i think crystal is named crystal since of suicune shines (well kind of) see his Crystal animation.. don't you see that thing in his forehead shines like crystals? (its not shines.. well im not best at english.. i just don't remember the word!)

also about Giratina.. ok.. if you don't get it.. meybe they refered platinum to its shiny color? (those metals at giratina's body turns platinum when shiny.. also look at its body in altered forme, it looks like the shiny form metals..

anyway, shiny giratina is so cooool *SR for one*

Years
    Hmm.. I don't think it has anything to do with it's shiny colour, anyways... I mean it'd be really rare for anyone to get a Shiny Giratina, so it'd be very strange for Nintendo to base a game on a (version of a) mascot that the player is unlikely to see..

Back