• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

should the pledge of allegiance still be a thing in US schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maedar

Banned
Years
  • I saw the rest. Unfortunately, I agree that it is accurate. See, both my parents are teachers, as is my brother and sister-in-law, and I worked as a substitute, and I can honestly tell you, my family has seen quite a few students like this. Bullies who assault other students are even worse.

What is your solution? Corporal punishment? Arming teachers? Turning schools into jails? No teachers I know nor any my family knows would approve of such methods. We all agree that violence against students is the LAST resort to take, never the first.

You may think being "tough" with students will convince them to comply, but it does not. It only makes them worse. I may be wrong, yes, the "nature versus nurture" concepts have been debated in child psychology for decades, with no concrete solutions. But all my life I've stood by the "nurture" path, and in the end, I have viewed it as successful.

You may think the Bible says "spare the rod, spoil the child". It does not. The infamous quote was made by Samuel Butler. Closest the Bible comes is "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves [his son] is careful to discipline him." (Proverb 13:24)

But before you say "that means the same thing", it does not. Given the number of shepherd/sheep metaphors in the Good Book people often misinterpret what it means to use "the rod." Shepherds never hit sheep with a rod; rather, they use it to steer the flock in the direction they want the sheep to go. Watch The Ten Commandments with this in mind. Yvonne DeCarlo is shown guiding sheep to the well with soft "drrr, drr" sounds and pushing them with the side of her staff. Western civilization tends to equate "discipline" with "punishment". In truth, they are two different concept.

I do know one thing the Bible says:

"Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

- Matthew 19:14

I'll end tonight with that.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    So back tracking a bit. What is a teacher supposed to do when students won't comply?

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • I already gave you my opinion, LDS, and I wholeheartedly believe it works.

If you don't agree, you're welcome to your own opinions. Please respect mine.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    This has gotten rather off topic/derailed and I think that most people have said what they were going to say on this matter, so I think I'll just lock this thread.

If anyone wants to continue to talk about the original topic, feel free to make a new thread, but try to stay on-topic next time, ok?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back