• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Show threads you haven't replied to.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I think it would be really great if we could have a toggle to only show threads in a forum that we're visiting that we personally haven't replied to yet.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • ^I don't know about that. It'll help weed out threads you've already posted in. Well, it's a better method than the icons we have next to the threads. I personally would like it.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Can we have a way to show which threads we have posted in? Just an icon next to its name or something like that.

edit: actually, thinking about it, wouldn't it just be easier and cleaner to show the threads we have posted in rather than the ones that we haven't? Or are we talking about hiding threads we have posted in completely?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Sounds like a vector better used for, what, those people who really, really, just want to reply to every darn thread.
    For me, I'm not all that interested in replying to every thread. Just the ones that interest me. But I'm also not someone who tends to reply more than once to threads, unless they really interest me. I just like to casually post what I want to post about a particular subject and let that be that (rather than having a whole discussion with someone and debating my opinion with them), and I think there are a lot more people out there who feel the same way.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • ^ Heeheehee. It's funny 'cause it's true.

On Topic: Actually, though, I tend to have a hard time remembering threads I've replied to because there's too many. But not in a good way. More like too many of the exact same topic, and I can't keep track of which is which, so I often feel like I'm in a perpetual broken record mode. Also, it helps when you disappear for long periods of time, and then pop in again thinking you're reading something new, only to realize you've already replied. :P

That said, I never really paid attention to what those envelope icons meant, so maybe now I'll have more of an idea.

Last edited:

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • Sounds like a vector better used for, what, those people who really, really, just want to reply to every darn thread.
    Not necessarily. Sometimes I want to just find an interesting topic to post in, but am hindered by the dozen most popular threads that I've already posted in that keep showing up. Arrgghhhh
    This is one of the things I hate the most about PokeCommunity. Everyone just pops in, doesn't bother to read any of the other replies and just drops their post in, then never looks back at the thread. What's the point of even posting if nobody reads each others threads?

Chit Chat & Polls is the biggest offender, that whole section is just such a waste of potential. But all of PC is like this. Drives me crazy. grahhhhhh
    Holy crap, you put this into words.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • With Chit-Chat and Polls however, most of the threads are well, polls which naturally garner one-off responses. We have numerous DCCs to account for those who just want to chat, not to mention there's Discussion and Debates for those who prefer more fleshed out discussions. Then there's just those topics where a single response suffices, so I don't think replying to a thread once and moving on, is necessarily a bad thing.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    This is one of the things I hate the most about PokeCommunity. Everyone just pops in, doesn't bother to read any of the other replies and just drops their post in, then never looks back at the thread. What's the point of even posting if nobody reads each others threads?

Chit Chat & Polls is the biggest offender, that whole section is just such a waste of potential. But all of PC is like this. Drives me crazy. grahhhhhh
    Likely because PC puts a large emphasis on polls and the idea of "post-and-go" threads. Pokemon General is a big offender by having an entire sub-forum dedicated to those type of threads. If users were notified after being quoted, it could perhaps encourage everyone to reply to threads more than once. (But I'm guessing this will be included in PC's revamp.)

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Hardly anyone pays attention to what anyone else has to say. In my opinion this is necessarily a bad thing. It's a waste, because everyone is so used to the culture of post-and-go that they aren't willing to/interested in/aware that they're even allowed to have actual discussions in the threads.

One can show interest in what someone else says without having to quote their post (for example). I've taken a lot of interest in others' responses to threads that spark my interest, but I might not necessarily have anything worthwhile to contribute to that thread, and thus I don't quote them in response. Does that mean I don't hold any interest in what another has to say? Certainly not.

How do you know people aren't reading others' posts? Is there a way to measure that?

Echidna

Years
  • It will be a feature in the revamp,
    PokeCommunity 2.0 is kinda like Pokemon X&Y for me right now. Do we have an approximate release date or... ?
    but I still think we could do more. Leading by example is a big one, but also looking at how strongly we enforce the rules is another. This is getting into personal opinion territory, but I've always thought we were too harsh on "off topic" posts. I remember when I was a mod, I felt like I was only doing my job if I could find some rule to enforce, so I jumped at every possible opportunity to tell people to get back on topic and be sure they're not straying too much.

I would really like to see that end. I think the forums would be a lot more fun and enjoyable if we actually talked to each other in the threads instead of just replying to the initial post and then leaving. I'd like to see a mod's job changed to leading discussion and turning their sections in the proper direction instead of "uh oh, someone is going off topic, better go yell at them" or "someone revived a thread, better go lock it!" etc. etc.
    I've honestly always wanted to point this out in CQ&F, but it always seemed as though I'd be marked for disliking how things are run, so I kinda kept it on the down-low.
    So yes, I firmly agree that sometimes the rules are being taken too literally, for a lack of a better word. I understand that rules are rules, but the single most important reason for being on PC is the fun and moments we all share, and sometimes it feels as though some rules are way too strict and end up hindering that purpose. I've found myself on countless occasions unable to post a certain remark because of fear that it would be considered off-topic or non-constructive to the argument/debate/discussion at hand.

Now of course, at certain places and in some threads, that might actually be a problem and could lead to other problems of its own. However, I fail to see how in general, it would actually be of any harm. Are we that against people gaining in post-count on the account of content? Idk really.

But yes, going easier on the rules would, in my opinion at least, aid in orienting certain forums towards discussion rather than post-and-go kind of attitudes.
    How do you know people aren't reading others' posts? Is there a way to measure that?
    Although it is true that this doesn't apply to many people, I have come to notice on many occasions that some people just waltz in and disregard all the previous posts. I can tell because they ask questions that have already been asked, they make the exact same dead argument or sometimes ignite an argument that had died off pages before... etc.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I would like to point out (if it hasn't already) that Other Voting Polls has been a "post-and-go" atmosphere for years. In fact, that was just about encouraged. Audy can correct me (and other staff, if they wish) if I'm wrong, but wasn't it against the rules at one point to post more than once in an OVP thread? It was at that time that it turned into actual discussion and then the thread had to be moved to Other Chat because it was too "discussion-y" for OVP or whatever.
    That might have been a rule years and years ago, but from the point I modded it in 2008 and up until today, that was never a rule. Though I do remember threads being moved to Other Chat because a thread became too much of a discussion...

I didn't have any intentions of this thread creating a debate, but that's how I use the forums. I search my name for people who quote my posts, and read what they had to say to my posts they've quoted, and I'll read a thread in full if the topic interests me (I've read every post in here), but when someone posts quoting me, challenging my opinion, that's when my interest stops. I don't mind having discussions, but debates aren't something I'm interested in having here, so I refrain from being involved in those and choose not to reply when someone challenges something I post.

I don't like how moderators are so quick to pull people back on topic, so I can agree with that. But the posts directed to the post I made with how I use the forums? I'm not going to change the way I use the forums just because people don't like that I and others post and don't return to a thread (or may return to read future replies, but don't contribute further). In Chit-Chat and Polls, more often than not, only one reply is really necessary. If I have something to say, or am confused about something someone says (like someone's reply to the "Would you date a bisexual person?" thread), I'll reply / more than once. But I come here to cure some boredom, and ease my mind. I don't want to spend that time being challenged in my posts where I just wanted to express my opinion on the subject and debate why my opinion is right and why theirs is wrong, because I'm not someone who believes in that frame of mind to begin with. All that type of posting does for me is create tension for me and that's not something I'm looking for when I come here.

That's why I gravitate towards a section where that is less than likely to happen. When it does, its just someone posing a question to better understand another, rather than saying "But that way of thinking is wrong. You should..." or something along those lines. There are plenty of people here who like to debate, and do so. But for me? I just want to relax and share my view point or experience openly at no risk at being challenged by my way of thinking, the reasons behind it, or anything else. Different people use this forum for different things, and treat it differently than others. There's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Echidna

Years
  • Which is why I also agree with Audy's point about leading by example. If people see staff having multiple discussions in CC&P threads, they'll be inclined to do so themselves. It's how we are. If we see authority figures doing something that they believe is okay (in this case, the authority figures being PC staff), then everyone else would just bangwagon and CC&P would become one happy, chit-chatting board.
    This is very true to my case. I always feel more comfortable doing something I've seen the mods do, and by all means there is nothing wrong in leading by example. Sure it's not as efficient in the real world, but online where the rules are changed? It could be, probably in some cases but not many, better than outlining the road with a pat on the back, if that makes any sense at all ;;
    ...Maybe this is just playing out a bit too well in my mind, but yeah. That's how I'm envisioning it.
    Probably, though I see no harm in trying.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I see. It'll help out a lot to facilitate this, even if it's as a search filter. I know how it helps me, at least, I can see new topics to hang into. I try to be consistent and cling on to a thread, but like Audy said, it's much of a post-and-go and doesn't really bring about any discussions other than maybe a few comments or a few likes on amusing posts. But some days, I get more free time so I feel like weeding every single thread and just doing everything possible to increase postcount, or as Hiroshi Sotomura accurately said, "Sounds like a vector better used for, what, those people who really, really, just want to reply to every darn thread."

Discussions and Debates are much more retaining and you wouldn't need any use of it there, but most of the General Pokémon Forums are not so active and also have this "post and go" thing going on.

On another note, those people who welcome new users will also find this very, very useful, since you cannot obviously welcome a person more than once.

Mostly for convenience I suppose, but nevertheless pretty useful for the general member.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I can't see this being a beneficial feature, since you can just look at post icons to judge if you have posted in a thread.

In fact, a feature like this would probably increasing spamming for post count as well as reviving old threads - as, if I post in all active threads, the older threads will appear more recent.

Skeptical me.

OmegaTL

Time Lord
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    I can't see this being a beneficial feature, since you can just look at post icons to judge if you have posted in a thread.

In fact, a feature like this would probably increasing spamming for post count as well as reviving old threads - as, if I post in all active threads, the older threads will appear more recent.

Skeptical me.
    Basically, this. I think a better feature would be "threads you haven't looked at". They'd all have to be from the last month though.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • Isn't the whole post-and-go thing the reason why you guys created the AMA styled board months ago? I think it's called Creeper Encyclopedia (whatta name) or something like that now. I remember vouching for that so hard months ago, and then I like ended up never using it except once, haha.

Still, I feel the idea was noble to a degree. If you knew more about people, you'd perhaps understand them a bit better so they aren't just user#28092. Usually you open up when you aren't totally strangers to others. I can't tell if it's working, though, haven't been paying attention.

I can still understand where Dominic is coming from. Maybe it's just because the nature of the board sucks you into a mindset of passivity (if it were a forum with a lot of in depth discussions, most would fall in line from the onset I'd believe), but there are times where I know I don't have anything newsbreaking to say, and just post as a way to whittle some time (read: stall from writing thesis drafts). Easy threads, repetitious though they may be, give you that ability to unwind and give your brain a break from other things.

Back