• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sick of Ash?

Should they...?

• Make Ash a less central character in the anime

Votes: 141 29.1%
  • Make a new anime series altogether

Votes: 186 38.4%
  • Keep it the same

Votes: 157 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I am sick of the new direction pokemon has gone in. Indigo and Johto were awesome. I really liked D/P because of Dawn but Ash's new voice is annoying. I hated that little kid Max. Just my opinion the show wasn't as good with the voice change lol.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2010
    adultured

if they made a new, violent, gorey pokemon anime, id watch it ^,..,^

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Well, that isn't entirely true. Brandon does have the Regis after all. It probably only applies for the birds while the others are just too powerful to be caught.

Yeah, but they were heavily "de-legenfied" for lack of a better made up word. Unlike the Articuno featured in the Battle Frontier, he actually owned them. They're basically unlike every other legend featured in the anime.

Basically I say the series should revolve more on Pokemon and not their trainers. (no not completely)

It's about the trainers and their Pokemon interacting. Satoshi Tajiri said the Americans "get" the show a bit more. Japanese were crazy over Pikachu, but Americans liked the Pikachu and Ash dynamic, with Tajiri saying "Pokemon needs that human face. It needs Ash."

It should be more like 10 or 15 different trainers trying to beat each other and about THEIR pokemon. Would seem interesting if the anime's not biased against one trainer (ASH)

The show already does this (much better in D/P, IMO) by featuring reoccuring characters.

The people who created pokemon should make a whole new serie because ash screw the last 10 seasons up

I think you're getting "opinion" with "fact."

I want to get rid of Ash.

I'm sick watchin him again! D/P omgushh gays voice

Yes, gay bashing. Just what this thread needs.

I am sick of the new direction pokemon has gone in. Indigo and Johto were awesome. I really liked D/P because of Dawn but Ash's new voice is annoying. I hated that little kid Max. Just my opinion the show wasn't as good with the voice change lol.

Then go watch the Original Seires. But I'm guessing you're really just thinking that you remember them as awesome, and holding child memories filled with nostalgia, and contrasting that with your more matured expectations of D/P.

if they made a new, violent, gorey pokemon anime, id watch it ^,..,^

Go play Halo.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    Then go watch the Original Seires. But I'm guessing you're really just thinking that you remember them as awesome, and holding child memories filled with nostalgia, and contrasting that with your more matured expectations of D/P.

I was actually looking back throughout the original series but its coming close to the newer series. Not saying I didn't like D/P, I do. I have only seen a few episodes but the voice change is just an adjustment I need to make. I was just always a big fan of how everything went in the older ones.

Years
    Basically I say the series should revolve more on Pokemon and not their trainers. (no not completely)

Just like the Mystery Dungeon Specials. >.>

Meh, Ash sucks IMO. They would have been better off using the REAL protagonist, RED GOD DAMMIT. Red owns all. Red is the Chuck Norris of Pokemon. NO ONE beats Red. Except maybe Gold...but whatever. Who's with me?

I'm with you. ;D Pokemon Special is the best. <3

As for you dear "Mr. Defender of the Anime"

It's completely unfair that more violent and well known series such as Naruto and Bleach gets an anime version...while we get the (Still unofficially subtitled...can't the Pokemon Company just release it sub titled AT LEAST? Like the OTHER majority of widespread anime out there?) childish PKMN Anime. D:

And if PokeSupe was more well known...it would definitely garner more support. :D

*Shot, brick'ed and thrown in a ditch* X_x

Years
    I think someone should make a new Pokemon anime. Not replacing the current one, but just like an additional one. One more close to the games 'n all. Hell, I wouldn't care if it was in Japan only. Someone would sub it, and that would probably be more awesome anyway.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    As for you dear "Mr. Defender of the Anime"

People are allowed to not like the anime. There's plenty of legitmate reasons to not like it. But crap like "RARGH MORE VIOLENCE!!111!1!11" isn't a legit complaint, because we're talking about POKEMON, not Duke Nukem.

It's completely unfair that more violent and well known series such as Naruto and Bleach gets an anime version...while we get the (Still unofficially subtitled...can't the Pokemon Company just release it sub titled AT LEAST? Like the OTHER majority of widespread anime out there?) childish PKMN Anime. D:

It's an anime based off a game that is made for kids. It surprises you that the anime is also made for kids?

And if PokeSupe was more well known...it would definitely garner more support. :D

If it's so good, then it'd be more well known, wouldn't it?

*Shot, brick'ed and thrown in a ditch* X_x

Again, Pokemon is not your personal fan fic. It's a kids' franchise. Everything in it is aimed at kids. Even much of the manga produced in the Pokemon franchise isn't pushing the boundaries on anything.

someone else said:
    but just like an additional one

Why?

One more close to the games 'n all.

That already exists.

PlatinumDawnFtw

Vocaloid fan~
    Years
    The problem with the anime is much deeper than Ash. The crap they put in it... like in one episode Officer Jenny called her Growlithe Arcanine, Pikachu's thunderbolt has hit countless ground types through every season. Also, the battle "strategies" they make Ash use are ridiculous. Like the episode where Ash beat Tate and Liza with Pikachu and Swellow. Pikachu used this huge thunderbolt to "coat" it and Swellow with electricity... SWELLOW SHOULD'VE BEEN FRIED!! And the episode where Ash beat Blaine by shocking Rhydon in the horn!

The people who make the anime will do anything to make Ash win, and frankly it ruined the anime series all together.

Remember, this is just my opinion. I don't care if you like the anime, don't flame me just because I don't.

Years
    The problem with the anime is much deeper than Ash. The crap they put in it... like in one episode Officer Jenny called her Growlithe Arcanine, Pikachu's thunderbolt has hit countless ground types through every season. [...] And the episode where Ash beat Blaine by shocking Rhydon in the horn!

Hi, welcome to the 21st century. Turns out that there's been nearly ten years of the anime since all that occurred; ~550 episodes. The inconsistencies that plagued earlier episodes are no longer an issue.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Hi, welcome to the 21st century. Turns out that there's been nearly ten years of the anime since all that occurred; ~550 episodes. The inconsistencies that plagued earlier episodes are no longer an issue.

This is true.

As for the "Thunder Armor" incident, it's just another example of the anime taking something from the games and applying it VERY liberally. Swellow's GUTS ability is activated when it's statused (paralyzed, poison, burned, or sleep). This turned Guts into how they've portrayed Overgrow and Blaze in the past, that the Pokemon itself gets stronger even though it's low on health/endurance.

Stupid? I guess to people who think the anime must stick to the games 100%. But they shouldn't be watching the anime in the first place. They should play the games, if that's what they're looking for.

Years
    Lolz. No offense.

People are allowed to not like the anime. There's plenty of legitmate reasons to not like it. But crap like "RARGH MORE VIOLENCE!!111!1!11" isn't a legit complaint, because we're talking about POKEMON, not Duke Nukem.

Oh pulease! I am only talking about the "violence" since Pokemon is essentially *even though it's mostly joking* violent. I mean having little kaijou fight each other?
    Lol. I am not advocating more violence. I was just pointing to Naruto and Bleach in order to show that kids can handle much darker stuff than what we have in the anime. And it's just to placate us...'cuz seriously Pokemon fans still want to love the anime so we criticize it to make it better.

Anyways I do admit that I should have expanded my critique and say that we need more in terms of "maturity" in the anime and cohesive plotlines.

It's an anime based off a game that is made for kids. It surprises you that the anime is also made for kids?

>.> Well duh. That's why I am advocating a separate series.

If it's so good, then it'd be more well known, wouldn't it?

The fact that VIZ initially mutilated Pokemon Adventures after they stopped releasing in Vol. 7 does not help your argument. Seriously while the anime is broadcasted publicly in multiple countries while we only have Chuang-yi English releases in Singapore, puts the advertising campaign for PokeSpe at a disadvantage.

Again, Pokemon is not your personal fan fic. It's a kids' franchise. Everything in it is aimed at kids. Even much of the manga produced in the Pokemon franchise isn't pushing the boundaries on anything.

Right it does not "push the boundaries" this just means that it has found the right balance in getting kids to read while keeping older fans to love it. <.<

That's what the Anime is missing.

~Comments in Bold~

LOL. Sorry about this little argument we're havin'. I just like being the manga 'tard in the Anime section. XD Anyways. Nuthin' personal on my post, just havin' fun critiquing the over-critiqued anime...

To keep things light hearted. my favorite Pokemon Anime parody. :3
    Spoiler:

Years
    A couple of months ago I use to think this and wanted Ash out but now ... Not so much, I want him to stay on the show and continue his journey, Yeah sometimes it get's annoying but I still want him on the show.

D i v i n e X

Pichu, don't touch that knife!
    Years
    I'm sick of how Ash doesn't fully evolve all his pokemon.
    I'm sick of Dawn.
    I'm sick of Team Rocket, the most.

They should make a new series of Pokemon Chronicles. Or a Anime of Pokemon Special.
    More on the side of Chronicles.
    Were they show a few episodes of someone
    like 2/3 to 10 on one character, then shift to a different character.
    They could even include Ash, sometimes.

Pidgeotto's Crew

Wing-Attack, Mofo
    Years
    More Chronicles would go down smooth.

I think Ash might be less of an annoying character if the scenarios he is commonly placed in weren't so annoyingly similar themselves.

Pretty sure most people are sick and tired of the same companions of Brock and 'girl just starting out'. By giving him companions with more different goals then perhaps Ash will not just react the same way to everything, thus making his charcter more fresh.

Say we take Brock out of the equation and replace him with a skilled trainer who has been going at it for as long as Ash has, or perhaps even put in a male co-ordinator, or maybe introduce a completely fresh set of objectives that Brock could set about achieving, similar to when contests first came in. All these could present Ash with different ways to react and also if we had three characters all striving to achieve something, not just the current two, then fillers would be reduced thus reducing our growing boredom.

Ash is wearing a bit thin but only as much as everything around him.

D i v i n e X

Pichu, don't touch that knife!
    Years
    True.

I would love to see Ash becoming more grown up, maybe getting into more 'older' scenarios, as in love hints etc.
    Then, they should make it so he starts of on his own in the sevii islands or something, and then as he goes on he begins to travel with a girl whos an expert co-ordinator participating in some new contest race. Then, ash befriends an expert trainer, who wants to study new kinds of pokemon. Maybe ash should start using more different pokemon, creating better strategies and trading his pokemon in and out. Like withdrawing his powerhouses like Charizard, Donphan, Sceptile etc for Gym Battles. Also involve game like scenarios, like carrying things through a few episodes, also him battling and catching new and wild pokemon. Kids would be more interested in this, and the older audience would be more satisfied.

Pidgeotto's Crew

Wing-Attack, Mofo
    Years
    Well yeah, most of the problems lie in the fact that the creators misunderstand the exact range of their audience. But they could easily learn from other shows, particularly anime, and introduce some decent story arcs, even more than the usual two/three part scenarios we're sometimes blessed with. You could still introduce new pokemon while these arcs are going on and, add it all up, you'd have another way of making filler interesting

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Well yeah, most of the problems lie in the fact that the creators misunderstand the exact range of their audience.

No, the problem lies with Internet Fans who are usually way beyond the target demographic and them wanting the anime to turn into their own personal fan fic.

This is a show that has been on for almost 600 episodes over a decade or so. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But for some reason, this thread is filled with how the anime should be fixed/catered to become their own personal fan fic.

On this page alone, there is calls for:

• Romance
    • "mature" storyline (and reading this thread, "mature" is a very vague word that can mean anything from deep, intricate plots to meaningless blood, sex, and gore)
    • Getting rid of the main character
    • A separate series that about 13 people who watch, who all live in their mother's basement.

Years
    • A separate series that about 13 people who watch, who all live in their mother's basement.

Uhh...*Points at the Poll*

Yeah right...I guess half of the people here in PC live in their grandmothers basement. >.>

As for the "personal fanfic" argument. It's not. A lot of anime broadcasted today originated from the manga version. Such as Fruits Basket, Cardcaptor Sakura, Dragonball, Bleach, Naruto.....etc./too much to list. <.<

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back