• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silly Bandz

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    THIS^ Agreed.

Notice how everybody said the same thing about us and Pokemon during the golden age in the late 90's. The "fad" arguement.
    Yup. I remember my best friend back in 1st grade was one of those people who refused to get involved in fads, and she always used to tell me that in a year or so Pokemon would be dead and I'd end up looking stupid. xD She may have been right, but it was fun while it lasted.

There will always be some fad that exists at some point or another. Why not get caught up in it? Embrace it, even. If not, when you're older and look back at your life, maybe you'll say, "damn, I didn't do anything fun."
    Right? You only live once, and it's not like you'll be sacrificing your individuality if you participate in a fad or two.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I haven;t seen them but i remember our fads and well as soon as they're banned *no pun intended* there'll be something else along to take it's place.

Ruto

Heiress to the Zora throne.
    Years
    Right? You only live once, and it's not like you'll be sacrificing your individuality if you participate in a fad or two.

Yet, you're not really missing out on anything fun if you don't participate in a fad involving accessories...

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    It's a fad...I have some, yes. But if you wear them too long, they cut off the circulation in your wrist :o

They have rings now...like, ones that fit on your fingers XD

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I always wear my pink Flamingo, rainbow Dragon, and blue Hippopotamus silly bandz. Without them, my wrist would feel skinny. :( On occassions, I would includ my heart silly bandz because my girlfriend gave it to me, but it kinda hurts after a while.

To be honest, I think this fad will stick around for a while. Old fads die hard, just like memes.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    There's a set of differences between Pokemon cards and these bands.
    A. Pokemon has an entire franchise around it.
    B. Pokemon's fan base spans generations.
    3. The original cards are still around, and worth something.
    They're only worth something because people say they are. Even if you have some kind of super rare one-of-a-kind card, it's still a piece of cardboard. Same goes for the entire franchise. None of it has any true value, but it's fun to be involved in so here we are.

Yet, you're not really missing out on anything fun if you don't participate in a fad involving accessories...
    It's all a matter of opinion I guess. I find it a lot of fun because it brings people together, and there's a certain enjoyment to be gotten from knowing you're part of something bigger.

Ruto

Heiress to the Zora throne.
    Years
    They're only worth something because people say they are. Even if you have some kind of super rare one-of-a-kind card, it's still a piece of cardboard. Same goes for the entire franchise. None of it has any true value, but it's fun to be involved in so here we are.

The point I was getting at was, how many people still have a pet rock? How many people still have jelly bands even? Fads like that can't sustain themselves unless they have something behind them to back them up. In my opinion, silly bandz don't really have much appeal to them. Sentimental, maybe, in some cases. I have nothing against fads, I just feel that there have been, and will be ones that would be more fulfilling to take part in.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I think they are okay I have some.

My school has limited them and I don't that they should be aloud in school.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Anyways, *ahem*, those things are pointless. In my city, kids claim that if you break them, you have to make out with whoever gave it to you, dude or dudette. -_-They are a stupid colored band that has no value. They are a waste of valualuable resources that also waste the money of people. I have never been in to that crap and never will be.
    Not into wastes of money? Or resources? What're you doing here, then? Somebody's gotta pay for the server, and the voltage involved probably wastes coal or something similar. And you could be doing something more constructive than sharing your opinion on Silly Bandz to a bunch of strangers, I'm sure.

My only point being that you are into that crap, and that everyone has their own hangups. Yours and mine just happen to be PC, and other folks like silicone around their wrists. Hey, at least those things can be used as an icebreaker.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I gave all my silly bands away to my cousin, who collects them, but I feel that as long as you don;t make them a distraction in school, use them as slang for drugs, they're fine to wear. They are a nice thing to have, because you can trade them just like cards and such and they come in different varieties (like the white ones are rare). The problem lies where people wear so many they have to go to the hospital because they cut off their circulation.

MushroomZOMBIE

♪ ~Just A Social Distortion
    Years
    I own them and wear them at times. I find it cute for some reason.
    The only problem is the circulation stuff. My sister even slept with hers before I told her it was bad for her circulation.

And people who avoid fads are just trying to be "cool" anyways by thinking that they are "above" it. =/

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    What do you think of them? Do you have any? I heard some schools banned them or something, so do you like that idea? Has it happened to your school? Do you have any clue what I'm talking about?

Discuss... and stuff.
    I personally think they are a waste of money. No. I don't see why they would be banned. And yes I do. My cousin literally has over two hundred. D:

Bologna

One might call me "hip"
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2014
    I first heard about these not too long ago from my little cousins who live out of state from me, and then all of a sudden people around my area, friends and classmates, had them. It's interesting seeing these fads travel around.

I haven't bought any.. yet.. but I've gotten some from various friends.

My cousins can't wear them at their elementary school because they are banned for promoting gambling or something, they were providing a distraction because kids were trading them and whatnot. Trading cards are also banned from their school.

Years

I personally think they are a waste of money. No. I don't see why they would be banned. And yes I do. My cousin literally has over two hundred. D:
    I have a yellow rubber duckie one. :3

I love how so much fuss is made over little colored rubber bands. XD Seriously people, colored, rubber, bands.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    The kids are the silly ones for actually wanting to spend money on rubber bands... seriously just make your own.

Years
    When I read this thread title, I thought this would be about bands in the musical sense, and I would have answered with something along the lines of "yes, I like sillly bands", since I'm an Immortal fan and its a big part of Immortal's image that they don't take themselves totally serious.
    But, since this is about rubber bands... I never saw any purpose in them. Never.

Back