• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Dual Screen System

Years
  • Well some of you know, but my computer literally exploded the other day wiping out all my work since december, regrettably, taking my dual screen with it.

So i decided just to do a small little script for you guys, seeing as that'd be such a dissapointment to leave you with nothing.

So erm yeah, some of you might not even know i was working on anything, but i was getting quite far with it, so i've done this small, user friendly script.

Ok, before i give it to you, i want you to know that i didn't put everything into this so you may find it a little buggy, (hope not >.<) but yeah.

Mmk, Instructions time.

1. Create a new script section above the script called main. You can do this
    by clicking on the script called main and pressing the insert key.

2. Name it dual screen.

3. Copy all of the script in the spoiler, and paste it into the blank window. Make sure you are pasting into the Dual Screen script window.

Spoiler:

4. Create a file in MSPaint called spacer.png
    Make it 480 pixels wide by 20 pixels high.

5. Save spacer.png in Graphics/Pictures

6. Put any pictures you want to use on the bottom screen in Graphics/Pictures

7. To show a picture on the bottom screen, you use a show picture command, but remember to set the Y coordinate to 340

8. Please, please add me to your credits list if you use this. I do this purely for "Fun" you might call it, but i'd a like a little recognition for my work, even
    though it isnt much :)

9. If you like this script, it'd be great if you could join my Game Developing community at http://www.planetdev.net
    It'd be great to see you there :)

Anyone wishing to expand the script is allowwed to without my consent as it's not very big, or very good at the moment.

Thanks, and i hope you enjoy using it :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Does this fix the problem where the player does not get centered on the top-half of the screen? Took me quite a while to figure it out, and it doesn't appear to be anywhere in your script.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Uh, oh. I see a bunch of dual screen failures(Attempts) blowing up on PC. Its is a nice script but it needs to be expanded greatly by the user... I doubt I'll use it...

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Here's what happened when I tried it:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • This doesn't change anything to do with the Player at the moment, but the Player is centered yes.

The resolution script i used just resizes the window, so when the window is being resized, nothing changes to do with the Pokemon Essentials scripts.

I change all the necessary things later, like the show picture viewports etc. :)

@Peeky Chew, That's really weird, it works fine for me...

Try using the Show Picture event command, setting the Y value to 340.
    If that doesn't work, try using this script command:

Show.picture("Pokegearback")

It should come up, if it doesn't, just double check (i know it sounds stupid) that the script is ABOVE main.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    This doesn't change anything to do with the Player at the moment, but the Player is centered yes.

The resolution script i used just resizes the window, so when the window is being resized, nothing changes to do with the Pokemon Essentials scripts.

I change all the necessary things later, like the show picture viewports etc. :)
    Thats the problem. You need to modify the essentials script. Its hard to explain, but the player does appear centered. Once you move, however, the player off centers permanently.

Years
  • Hmm, i cant test this as fast as i'd like because this computer is so slow that i have to close everything down and run the Game.exe but i'll take a look later and see what you mean. Hopefully though, seeing as i've changed nothing to do with the Map, hopefully, nothing should have changed.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • @Peeky Chew, That's really weird, it works fine for me...

Try using the Show Picture event command, setting the Y value to 340.
    If that doesn't work, try using this script command:

Show.picture("Pokegearback")

It should come up, if it doesn't, just double check (i know it sounds stupid) that the script is ABOVE main.
    I never got a Main script in mine, but other scripts I've added work fine. I've done everything necessary.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • I never got a Main script in mine, but other scripts I've added work fine. I've done everything necessary.

How do you not have a main script? Everyone has one u need it for the playtest and game to work... u have one all the way at the bottom of the scripts..

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • Nice job you did there crazyninjaguy, for something this small it is surprisingly good. Nice base for people to work on up from though it does have an compatibility issue as I've noticed it doesn't work with the 15th March release but works perfectly fine with the release towards the beginning of the year.

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2021
    Nice script not too sure if I'll ever use it but it is really good. Great work man.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • How do you not have a main script? Everyone has one u need it for the playtest and game to work... u have one all the way at the bottom of the scripts..
    nomain.png

See, you don't need main!

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Excellent !

I've waited this moment all the time ! ^^
    But I've a problem
    I have this error message :
    ???? 'Dual_Screen' ? 87??? NameError??????
    unitialized constant IconSprite

Please help me ! :(
    I want this script !

~Frozen Darkness~

It's watching you...
    Years
  • I think I'll wait for a newer version before I try out this script.

But giving away a dual-screen script? You, sir, have done the impossible.

Although I hope this doesn't get n00b infested.

Best of luck with the project!

~Frozen~

Years
  • Thanks for all the feedback :)

carmaniac said:
    Nice base for people to work on up from though it does have an compatibility issue as I've noticed it doesn't work with the 15th March release but works perfectly fine with the release towards the beginning of the year.

I've used the latest release as a base, i think it's the 25th March release if there was one that day, i know it was around then :)

@d-black

If you haven't edited any scripts, then i suggest you upgrade your StarterKit to the newest version. Or, if you want, this will work by the way, you can delete these lines:

Code:
    #----------------------------------------------
    @spacer=IconSprite.new(0, 320)
    @spacer.setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/spacer")
    @spacer.z = 99999999
    #-----------------------------------------------

module Show
      def self.picture(filename)
        @sprite=IconSprite.new(0, 325)
        @sprite.setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/" + filename)
      end
    end

And just use a show picture command.
    But make sure that you set the Y coordinate to 340.

Birdybot

-insert witty phrase here-
    Years
  • It works for me! It works!

But, er, how do you get it to actually do something? Like, menus and whatnot.

Gigatom~

Pokemon Ruthenium Creator ~
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    Realy nice Script. Only one thing, when you want to change the Screen Size there is no Dual Screen anymore.

Gigatom~

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Okay that is fine, but the screen is cut down, so I thought I could display images to the bottom screen ... but I notice it's just sweat a script that changes the size of the screen, as Win32API that does not change the resolution, do you know how. For the big head of my hero in a small screen, it's awful ^^
    Help me please :(

Back