• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    No, it wouldn't. Wouldn't work, I mean.

For one thing, critical hits, which happens far too often, cuts straight through your defense boost. White Herb only works once, then your pissed out of an item. Most importantly, PHazers, which are pokes with Roar/Whirlwind, will blow those stats away.

That Ninjask set is the standard. Yes, it has X-Scizzor. But as I said, very common.

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
    How important is speed to Calm Tentacruel? I bred one that has good HP, Def, Sp.Def, and Sp.Att IVs but 3 Speed. Should I aim for higher or does he not really need to be quick?

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
    uhhm, hi everyone, sorry if this questions kinda dumb or if it'ss not in the right thread, but;;
    someone PLEASE explain to me what IVS are?!
    like.. i kinda know what EFFORT VALUESS are (aren't they just things every pokemon gives off and if you reach ten for a stat, then that stat gains by one when you level up?) .... just not ivs..
    and how are you like, supposed to find the "base stats" of a pokemon?=S ... also for like.. competitive battling.. i'll see like a moveset, and then it'll be like, 100 speed, 8 hp? like what is that implying?=S
    someone please answer cause i'm soo confused=(

Outlawed

Think you can beat me?
    Years
    Bulky Mence

Yo, I've been playing around the EV's with my Salamence, and I need it to be able to take on a ScarfChomp after just one DD
    Would this work?

Salamence @ Life Orb
    160 Hp / 186 Atk / 164 Speed
    Jolly
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Flamethrower/Fire Blast

Not your average, Roosting Bulk Mence, cause it aint that Bulky. What this does, is outspeed ScarfChomp after just 1 Dragon Dance. Also, it can outspeed Adamant Mence, and Adamant Garchomp and even Jolly Dragonite and get a DD in first. It's fails to OHKO Defenseive Blissey with just one Dragon Claw after the DD and it's 371 HP is BIG allowing it to live through the Ice Beam of standard 40 Sp.Atk Blissey which means I can DD while Blissey Ice Beams me. Flamethrower with a negative fails to OHKO Skarmory that has full HP. Fire Blast would do the job SOMETIMES and may not OHKO it. Whirlwind would stop my attempts to take it unless I invest in some sp.atk. But again, Skarmory is dealt with on the team this mence is on and has counters.
    So basically what this does is outspeed ScarcChomp after 1 DD, and it tricks Blissey by living through Ice Beam and dealing a 2HKO or pumping attack and speed higher.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    IVs are Individual Values. Every Pokémon has an IV addressed to one of its stats [HP, Atk, Def, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Speed] and that IV ranges from 0 to 31, and each IV point increases a Pokémon's stat by one.

So, for example, let's say you have two untrained Scythers, both lvl 100 with the same nature. But one has 31 Atk IVs and the other has 2. Scyther¹ would have 28 more points of Attack than Scyther², even though they're apparently the same.

You can't change a Pokémon's IVs- they're fixed numbers. And you can't check them ingame either. You need to use an IV calculator online.

So, you ask, "how do I get good IV'd Pokémon"? And the answer is: "Breeding".
    When you breed, some of the parents IVs are transfered to the outspring. So all you need is patience until you get some good IVs, then switch the parent for something newborn with better IVs, and keep doing it until you're satisfied.
    [Yes, competitive Pokémon is all about incest!]

And you have a wrong concept of EVs.
    You're right that every Pokémon gives them. But they add a stat gain when you reach four, not ten. There are plenty of EV Training guides out there, so just do a little research.

About Base Stats, you can check them at any Pokédex like the one on Serebii or the Smogon Analyses Index.

And those numbers you see on movesets are nothing more nothing less than the EVs.
    100 Speed / 8 HP means they want that Pokémon to kill 100 Zubats and 8 Bidoofs. Or 50 Zubats and 4 Bidoofs if you're holding Macho Brace or infected by Pokérus. Or 25 Zubats and 2 Bidoofs if you're with both. You get the point.

LishaKara

オレスシ。
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2023
    Hey, I assumed a question like this would go in here-- I just got Pearl today, and I want a Chimchar, but what's the overall best nature I want to get? In other words, what's the stat I should concentrate on to make it shine and which stat can I be more disregarding to? I know that the message (i.e. "likes to run") is an indicator of good IVs, so I could check that later, but I can't find a particular guide to raising its evo line. (I dunno why, I'm a sucker for super-raising my first starters and I wanna do this right XD)

kissing. raindrops

Years
    Ohh.. I kinda get it now, thank you.. so iv and ev training are actually different, like iv is basically breeding to get the base stats you want (isn't that all effected by nature, so in sense, your breeding for the right nature?) and ev training is fighting specific pokemon that give off the stat points you want. so that means if i fight like 16 bidoof with the macho brace on then when my pokemon levels up it will have +4 hp?! because if thats true then thats a lot..
    and so basically if i want my larvitar to be a very fast sweeper of some sort when im into competitive, does that mean all i have to do is fight zubat (or w.e else gives off speed) a LOT and my larvitars speed will increase by like super numbers?
    kay, and is the only way to tell its base stats by going onto a website? or is there some way i can figure them out just by looking at their current stats and compare it to their level?

devilicious

dream
    Years
    You can't EV train forever. A Pokémon can only have a max of 510 EV points overall, but only 255 of those points may go to a single stat. Also, they won't be added immediatly after you level up- but you'll notice the stat growth will be much bigger by the time your Pokémon reaches lvl 100.

However, 255 is not divisable by 4, so 252 is the number that gives a stat the most points. 252 Atk EVs, for example, give your Pokémon +63 Attack points. Even if it doesn't seem like a 'super number', it is indeed quite a lot!

So, for a fast sweeper, you usually go 252 Atk or Sp. Atk and 252 Speed. You'll notice that 252 + 252 = 504, when the maximum is 510. That means you can put those leftover 6 EVs on HP, for a point more that may or may not help at all, but better than just wasting it.

Also, you're getting confused again. You don't breed to get Base Stats- base stats are the base of that Pokémon's stat. The base stat won't change no matter what. What changes is the final stat- at lvl 100.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Someone please answer the question.

Doesnt need speed tbh.

On my tenta i use a significant investment in defense, to cushion Close Combats from Infernape

ala : -

Tentacruel@Leftovers
    Calm nature
    Trait : Liquid Ooze
    204 HP / 108 DEF / 24 sp.att / 172 sp.def
    - Toxic Spikes / Hidden power Electric.
    - Surf
    - ice beam / Sludge Bomb
    - Rapid Spin / Knock off

Alternately, you can just use the standard spread of 204 HP / 96 SP.ATT / 172 SP.DEF / 36 SPEED, this is only to get to 245 speed, but seeing as yours has ass speed, dont invest speed evs.

Last edited:

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    sims made sparked my interest in finding a reliable EV investment for the following Gardevoir set (Trace):

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
    Calm
    Will O Wisp
    Calm Mind
    Wish/Focus Blast
    Psychic

Used to cushion blows (slightly) from the physical side and (nicely) from the special side. I was thinking of 252 HP/216 Def/42 SpD

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    You're close, but still a little off. Also, stop using that horrible font. It makes every one of your posts look retarded.

Ohh.. I kinda get it now, thank you.. so iv and ev training are actually different, like iv is basically breeding to get the base stats you want (isn't that all effected by nature, so in sense, your breeding for the right nature?) and ev training is fighting specific pokemon that give off the stat points you want. so that means if i fight like 16 bidoof with the macho brace on then when my pokemon levels up it will have +4 hp?! because if thats true then thats a lot..

Not exactly. For starters, you can't 'train' IVs. They're determined randomly (for the most part) at birth. It takes a lot of luck and determination to get a good-IV'd Pokemon.

Base Stats are something that are set in stone for all Pokemon, before they're even born. For example, a Lucario will always have 90 base Speed, a Tyranitar will always have 130 base Atk, and Arceus will always have 120 base everything. Keep in mind that these base stats are really more like guidelines- with Natures, IVs, and EVs, there is a large range of possible stats that can finally result.

Natures are completely seperate from IVs. Natures modify a stat on a whole (for example, Jolly increases Speed by 10%, Modest increases Special Attack by 10%, and Bold increases Defense by 10%). IVs are values that increase a stat (for every IV point, a stat will be increases by 1 point (before Natures are calculated)). Note that the bonus in IVs is given ON THE WAY to level 100. That means a 30 in Atk will have a bonus of 30 points at level 100, but only a 15 point bonus at level 50, and only a 6 point bonus at level 20 (assuming Neutral nature). EVs are calculated the same way- 16 Bidoofs will give a +4 bonus to HP, but only at level 100- it would be a +2 bonus at level 50, and a +1 bonus at level 25.

Also note that as Deviruchi said, there's a limit to how many EVs you can plug into a stat (and in total).

For more information, read the Compiled Guides (which I should have just linked to in the first place).

and so basically if i want my larvitar to be a very fast sweeper of some sort when im into competitive, does that mean all i have to do is fight zubat (or w.e else gives off speed) a LOT and my larvitars speed will increase by like super numbers?

Yes. That doesn't mean it'll save Larvitar from being slow as hell, though. :/

kay, and is the only way to tell its base stats by going onto a website? or is there some way i can figure them out just by looking at their current stats and compare it to their level?

There are WAY too many factors affecting a stat for that to be possible. Just look at Serebii's Pokedex for all the information you could need.

kissing. raindrops

Years
    I see.. well i get everything except I'm still kinda confused about IV's -.-
    so let me get this straight. every pokemon is born with a pre determined set if IVs; a certain number of IV's for each stat. What I'm still confused about is what the difference is between IV's and base stats.. I know that base stats are the stats that a Pokemon already has before you train it. But what's all this IV's are one point which increases ____stat by one thing about? Plus, how do I know what is a good number range for a certain IV?

and another question.. One vitamin drink is supposed to give the Pokemon +10 in the specific stat.. but usually that Pokemon only gains +1 on the stat... so like if it was 39, it would only go up to 40.. rarely it goes up to 41.. shouldn't the stat be increasing by 2's if your giving your Pokemon a vitamin since 4 EV's = 1 stat up?

Last edited:

devilicious

dream
    Years
    Base Stats aren't 'the stats a Pokémon has before you train it'. Those are its actual stats. Base Stats are just numerical values the game uses to generate how big or short that stat is. Like, Alakazam has low attack no matter what you do because its Base Attack Stat is low. And Base Stats are common to all Pokémon of that species.

IVs are a number that is pretermined for each stat on every Pokémon. Even if your Alakazam has low base attack, you may notice it may have more Attack than your friend's Alakazam, even if they have the same nature and are at the same level, untrained. Why? Because your has a higher IV.

Also, the vitamins don't add the +2 points immediatly because EVs don't take effect immediatly. You'll only get -true- results on lvl 100.

kissing. raindrops

Years
    Wow, this makes so much more sense, thank you Deviruchi. And thank you airconditioning for that link, I just read through all that and it was super helpful. Now I get what IV's and EV's are.

Outlawed

Think you can beat me?
    Years
    I need a reliable, different DD Mence Set. I want it to outspeed Scarfchomp after 1 DD, hence a jolly nature with 168 speed ev's. Need help on moveset and other ev's.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    I wouldn't put much faith in Dewgong's Sp. Atk. 70 base is too below average to be efficient, and I'd rather use Phione for an attacking Hydration set due to Grass Knot offering superior coverage on UU than Ice Beam.

I'd go with
    Dewgong @ Damp Rock
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm
    - Rain Dance
    - Encore
    - Surf
    - Rest

At least now you're different from Phione. Encore is such an awesome move, and still utilizes Hydration very well.

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
    Years
    Outlawed, Outspeeding ScarfChomp after a DD with Salamence is impossible unless it runs Adamant. In that case, you need 304 speed, so that's Jolly nature on Salamence with...164 speed EVs. You'll lose a lot of power with this, but if it's what you're seeking, go for it. However, if it's a ScarfChomp running a Jolly nature, there's nothing you can do to outspeed it. Fortunately at that point, it lacks a lot of power.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back