• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
Years
  • Shadow Claw and Shadow Ball have the same speed priority, the reason you probably think it is faster is because a faster pokemon used Shadow Claw.

Also Gengar should never carry Shadow Claw over Shadow Ball, as it's attack is inferior, and as such, Shadow Claw is a physical move (working off attack stat) and Shadow Ball is a special move (working off special stat)

As for WiFi, Gengar normally dies in one hit, so Rest + Sleep Talk isn't a good idea to begin with, and you were probably horribly outspeed due to the fact that you probably haven't EV trained your Gengar.

As such, check http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123757 for all information on EVs and IVs and such to make your pokemon better

Anyway a good Gengar moveset is this

Gengar@Wide Lens/Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Sp Atk, 6 HP
    -Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt/Energy Ball
    -Hypnosis
    -Focus Blast

Covers alot of ground, one of the standard Gengar sets, or if you prefer pure power

Gengar@Choice Specs
    Timid Nature
    EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Sp Atk, 6 HP
    -Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt
    -Energy Ball
    -Focus Blast/Hidden Power (Fight)

Choice Specs gives his special attack a 1.5x boost, but limits you to one attack before switching out

P. S. Saying you don't like stalling an opponent, yet using a Sleep Talker is a bit ironic

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
  • I really do not see how Sleep Talk and Substitute can be put in the same category. I use Sleep Talk as a combo with Rest so I am not completely open while I am asleep. I use it to KO my opponents rather than just piss them off.

But are you sure I should get rid of Dark Pulse? It is good when fighting Ghost or Psychic types.

Btw, can anybody spare me a Heart Scale so I can relearn Hypnosis?

EDIT: It is midnight here and I am extremely damn tired. I probably won't post back here again so just PM me if you can spare me a Heart Scale. Thanks for all of your help. Goodnight!

- Matt

Last edited:

Walrein

Banned
    Years
  • My Gengar:
    @Choice Specs
    Timid nature
    6 EV HP/252 Spe/252 SpA
    ~Psychic
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Focus Blast
    It's "only" at Lv 80 now, but it's done with EVs a long time ago. It's SpA and Spe just keep rising insanely.

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
  • I really do not see how Sleep Talk and Substitute can be put in the same category. I use Sleep Talk as a combo with Rest so I am not completely open while I am asleep. I use it to KO my opponents rather than just piss them off.

But are you sure I should get rid of Dark Pulse? It is good when fighting Ghost or Psychic types.

Btw, can anybody spare me a Heart Scale so I can relearn Hypnosis?

EDIT: It is midnight here and I am extremely damn tired. I probably won't post back here again so just PM me if you can spare me a Heart Scale. Thanks for all of your help. Goodnight!

- Matt

Rest + Sleep Talk keeps your pokemon healthy, therefore forcing your opponent to attack you more, thus stalling them out.

Dark Pulse is stupid on a pokemon that can learn a STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) Shadow Ball as they cover the same thing, Psychic and Ghost types, the only real difference is one hits harder on fighting types and one is resisted by normal types.

Walrein

Banned
    Years
  • Rest + Sleep Talk keeps your pokemon healthy, therefore forcing your opponent to attack you more, thus stalling them out.

Dark Pulse is stupid on a pokemon that can learn a STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) Shadow Ball as they cover the same thing, Psychic and Ghost types, the only real difference is one hits harder on fighting types and one is resisted by normal types.
    Medicham/Gallade are weak to Ghost and not Dark, while Girafarig is the opposite. Still, Dark Pulse doesn't add anything important.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    You also need to EV train because Gengar is not easily outsped.

St. Anger

Banned
    Years
  • The Combo that may create 2 new ubers in a double battle

OK, here it is, the combo that may make Slaking and Regigigas uber in a battle if you use it.

You Need:
    Pokemon with gastro acid (Shuckle,Cradily...)
    Slaking/Regigigas
    A double battle
    Send out your GA pokemon and Gigas/Slaking
    Use gastro acid on your Slaking or Regigigas, which will remove Truant/Slow Start and viola! 2 new ubers, only in a 2v2 battle, however.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    That sounds like a pretty good technique. Im going to use that in the battle tower.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • This is a basic strategy for double battles involving Regigigas and Slaking.

*moves to S&M and merges with the Q&A thread*

devilicious

dream
    Years
  • OK, here it is, the combo that may make Slaking and Regigigas uber in a battle if you use it.

You Need:
    Pokemon with gastro acid (Shuckle,Cradily...)
    Slaking/Regigigas
    A double battle
    Send out your GA pokemon and Gigas/Slaking
    Use gastro acid on your Slaking or Regigigas, which will remove Truant/Slow Start and viola! 2 new ubers, only in a 2v2 battle, however.

Doesn't work with Regigigas. Slow Start still takes effect.

Works with Slaking though, but there are more effective ways to do that, like Skill Swap Slowking + Swagger [since Slaking now has Own Tempo, he doesn't get confused but gets +2 Atk], then you can Skill Swap Truant to one of your opponent's Pokémon.

It's fine stategy and all, but by no means makes Slaking uber.

Metakazam

Is a Loon.
    Years
  • Got a couple simple questions. One shuld I teach my Porygon 2 Thunderbolt or Discharge? Two I have a decent Porygon bred with Trace is that a good ability or should I rebreed?

Here's the Porygon's IV's if that would help...

Modest
    Trace
    HP: 31
    Atk: 17
    Def: 29
    SpA: 31
    SpD 28
    Spe: 19

Oh anouther question is that a good breed? Should I use it or breed some more? Also if I do keep it what should I EV him in?

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • That Porygon looks good. I would stick with Thunderbolt, though, as the raw power is generally better than the paralysis chance of Discharge. And yes, Trace is good- it's one of the main reasons to use Porygon2 in the first place.

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
  • Two questions: Should I use Ice Punch or Thunder Punch on an Agility-Gross, and does it mean anything specific when the Emerald IV guy says your Pkmn has wonderfully outstanding potential?

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Standard Agiligross runs thunderpunch, and not sure on the second part.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • It means that the Gross has at least one really good IV (possibly a 31). I'm assuming you already know his IVs, though. :/

Thunderpunch hits Steels like Skarmory or Bronzong, as well as Gyarados. Ice Punch hits Dragons like Garchomp, and also Dugtrio. Basically, I have no idea. :/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back