• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hey, all.
I'm new on here, so sorry if I'm doing this wrong.
I am making a team, and I wasn't even thinking about tiers.
Feedback & suggestions are welcome!

Gengar w/ Choice scarf
Timid/ Modest nature
-Shadow ball
-Focus Blast
-Thunder/T- bolt
-Explosion/ trick

Arcanine w/ Life Orb
Timid/ Modest nature
-Fire Blast
-Extremespeed
-Morning sun
-Toxic

Primeape w/ leftovers
Jolly nature
-Encore
-Close Combat
-Stone- Edge
-U-Turn

Scizor
Adamant nature
-Swords dance
-Bullet punch
-Brick break
-Bug bite

Vaporeon w/leftovers
Bold nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Surf
-Ice Beam

Golem w/ Choice Band
Adamant nature
-Earthquake
-Stone-edge
-Sucker punch
-Explosion
(all advice is assuming Gen V)

What are your Pokemon's EVs?

Gengar can't learn Thunder, only Thunderbolt. Even then, it's better off with Substitute over Trick or Explosion to ease prediction and Shadow Ball + Focus Blast is unresisted (replace the Choice item with something else):
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Disable/Pain Split/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power (Fire)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Arcanine is more of a physical attacker. That set there is wasting its decent physical movepool, and Fire Blast runs off its weaker offensive stat:
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Wild Charge
-ExtremeSpeed/Crunch
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire/Intimidate

If you want to go defensive that badly make Arcanine Adamant or Jolly and replace Fire Blast with Flare Blitz. Use this EV spread too: 180 HP/144 Atk/184 Spe.

Scizor's EV spread should be 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe.

You can use Scald over Surf on Vaporeon; it provides burn support. Its EV spread should be 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef.

Golem honestly isn't very good because of its low Speed and common weaknesses. A Dragon Pokemon like Dragonite can replace it simply because it hits harder and faster:
-Outrage
-ExtremeSpeed
-Fire Punch/Waterfall
-Earthquake/Brick Break/Dragon Claw
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 60 Atk/252 Atk/196 Spe
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale

HitmonGengarLee

Trainer in Training
Years
(all advice is assuming Gen V)

What are your Pokemon's EVs?

Gengar can't learn Thunder, only Thunderbolt. Even then, it's better off with Substitute over Trick or Explosion to ease prediction and Shadow Ball + Focus Blast is unresisted (replace the Choice item with something else):
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Disable/Pain Split/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power (Fire)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Arcanine is more of a physical attacker. That set there is wasting its decent physical movepool, and Fire Blast runs off its weaker offensive stat:
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Wild Charge
-ExtremeSpeed/Crunch
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire/Intimidate

If you want to go defensive that badly make Arcanine Adamant or Jolly and replace Fire Blast with Flare Blitz. Use this EV spread too: 180 HP/144 Atk/184 Spe.

Scizor's EV spread should be 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe.

You can use Scald over Surf on Vaporeon; it provides burn support. Its EV spread should be 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef.

Golem honestly isn't very good because of its low Speed and common weaknesses. A Dragon Pokemon like Dragonite can replace it simply because it hits harder and faster:
-Outrage
-ExtremeSpeed
-Fire Punch/Waterfall
-Earthquake/Brick Break/Dragon Claw
Nature: Adamant
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale

Thanks! This was a big help! Now what item what would you put on Gengar? And Scizor?

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Thanks! This was a big help! Now what item what would you put on Gengar? And Scizor?

PlatDude mentioned Gengar's item but for Scizor, since you have SD, make use of the bOosts by going with a Life Orb. There's another option of a plate for boosting bullet punch but going with LO is better imo so all your other attacks don't rely on SD but it's up to you. As for choice band, the alternative, it's useless if you plan to keep SD, so yeah, Life Orb is what I suggest.

HitmonGengarLee

Trainer in Training
Years

PlatDude mentioned Gengar's item but for Scizor, since you have SD, make use of the bOosts by going with a Life Orb. There's another option of a plate for boosting bullet punch but going with LO is better imo so all your other attacks don't rely on SD but it's up to you. As for choice band, the alternative, it's useless if you plan to keep SD, so yeah, Life Orb is what I suggest.

So I changed up my team a little.
I realized it was a bunch of beatsticks, and a Vaporeo,
I didn't think It was a bad thing, but I threw in a Swampert lead.
Let me know what you think.

Swampert w/ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Surf / Protect / Roar

Gengar w/ Leftovers
Timid nature
-Shadow ball
-Focus Blast
-T- bolt
-substitute
EV: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Arcanine w/ Life Orb
Jolly nature
-Flare blitz
-Extremespeed
-Close Combat
-Toxic
EV spread: 180 HP/144 Atk/184 Spe

Primeape w/ leftovers
Jolly nature
-Encore
-Close Combat
-Stone- Edge
-U-Turn
EV: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe

Vaporeon w/leftovers
Bold nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Scald
-Ice Beam
EV spread: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef.

Dragonite w/ Choice band
Adamant nature
-Outrage
-ExtremeSpeed
- Waterfall
-Earthquake

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So I changed up my team a little.
I realized it was a bunch of beatsticks, and a Vaporeo,
I didn't think It was a bad thing, but I threw in a Swampert lead.
Let me know what you think.

Swampert w/ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Surf / Protect / Roar

Gengar w/ Leftovers
Timid nature
-Shadow ball
-Focus Blast
-T- bolt
-substitute
EV: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Arcanine w/ Life Orb
Jolly nature
-Flare blitz
-Extremespeed
-Close Combat
-Toxic
EV spread: 180 HP/144 Atk/184 Spe

Primeape w/ leftovers
Jolly nature
-Encore
-Close Combat
-Stone- Edge
-U-Turn
EV: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe

Vaporeon w/leftovers
Bold nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Scald
-Ice Beam
EV spread: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef.

Dragonite w/ Choice band
Adamant nature
-Outrage
-ExtremeSpeed
- Waterfall
-Earthquake

Swampert is okay, but it's not as good as it used to be because of Gastrodon running around. Keep it if you want.

Arcanine really needs Morning Sun if you choose to use its "bulky" set. In that case, drop Close Combat, since it makes Arcanine die faster with reduced defenses and Flare Blitz/Life Orb recoil.

Primeape honestly isn't very good in OU. Mienshao can easily pull off its job better thanks to having better Speed and Attack, as well as Regenerator:
-Hi Jump Kick
-U-turn
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Fake Out/Grass Knot
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Hello!
I'm going to make a team...it consists of Breloom, Heatran and Rotom-W for now. See, I checked Breloom's partners and found out that a good partner can be a Landorus holding an Expert Belt...problem is, there is no such thing as a set for Landorus that needs it to hold an Expert Belt (in here, that is). I'm asking about the moveset. Can someone tell me an Expert Belt set for Landorus (A set that requires Landorus to hold the Expert Belt)?
And also...would SubSeeding be more of a stalling tactic than an offensive tactic? And also...about Breloom. Which one is better for Breloom? SubSeeding or SubPunching (the sets and the usefulness of the sets)? I think the SubSeed set is not bad. The set makes Breloom a lot bulkier than the SubPunch set and it can still use Focus Punch like the SubPunch set, although power is sacrificed for durability (the opposite of the SubPunch set, which sacrifices durability for power).
Thanks!

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hello!
I'm going to make a team...it consists of Breloom, Heatran and Rotom-W for now. See, I checked Breloom's partners and found out that a good partner can be a Landorus holding an Expert Belt...problem is, there is no such thing as a set for Landorus that needs it to hold an Expert Belt (in here, that is). I'm asking about the moveset. Can someone tell me an Expert Belt set for Landorus (A set that requires Landorus to hold the Expert Belt)?
And also...would SubSeeding be more of a stalling tactic than an offensive tactic? And also...about Breloom. Which one is better for Breloom? SubSeeding or SubPunching (the sets and the usefulness of the sets)? I think the SubSeed set is not bad. The set makes Breloom a lot bulkier than the SubPunch set and it can still use Focus Punch like the SubPunch set, although power is sacrificed for durability (the opposite of the SubPunch set, which sacrifices durability for power).
Thanks!

You could use it on the basic Choice Scarf set, which confuses the opponent into thinking you're scarfed (due to no recoil from Life Orb), then if they switch into something you can't hurt due to being "locked in" (or at least what they think) and you suprise the opponent by hitting it with something else and getting a boost if it is super-effective.

Yeah subseed is stall based while the other one isn't - aka on subseed you use spore as a way to let the damage build up, while on subpunch you use spore to allow you to have more opportunities to hit the opponent. Either way it's up to you - would you rather a stall-based or offensive Breloom is the question.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Hello!
Thanks!

Don't feel obligated to stick to the sets described on the strategy page. They are some of the best sets available, but often others won't be posted there or you can come up with more specialized, creative sets on your own. Nica mentioned it, but for example an Expert Belt Landorus set is used to feign a choice item, and so can get an extra kill by pretending it's locked into, say, Earthquake, and then KOing a common switch-in with either HP Ice, U-turn, or Stone Edge. A lot of this you will be able to read into on your own as you improve as a competitive battler.

I really won't just say it's "stall-based" but simply a tactic entirely of its own. a) Leech Seed + Substitute is honestly a tactic you will never come by on hardcore stall teams, and b) it doesn't do a stall team's goal of preventing set-up and forcing switches for hazards damage. SubSeeding is a strategy most often found on bulky or offensive teams, which can use the free healing or added momentum from switches very well. Best set for Breloom is Bulk Up, anyway.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014

You could use it on the basic Choice Scarf set, which confuses the opponent into thinking you're scarfed (due to no recoil from Life Orb), then if they switch into something you can't hurt due to being "locked in" (or at least what they think) and you suprise the opponent by hitting it with something else and getting a boost if it is super-effective.

Yeah subseed is stall based while the other one isn't - aka on subseed you use spore as a way to let the damage build up, while on subpunch you use spore to allow you to have more opportunities to hit the opponent. Either way it's up to you - would you rather a stall-based or offensive Breloom is the question.
Oh, so what you're saying is that...
1. Trick the opponent into thinking that my Landorus has a Choice Scarf
2. Let the opponent switch in something that can't be hurt by Landorus with his only move (they think that Landorus can only use one kind of move)
3. Get Landorus to use a super effective move to hit the opponent
And that's it, right? Well, this method's pretty good...it isn't so bad. So, should I use Landorus' Choice Scarf set with an Expert Belt instead of a Choice Scarf?
And well...I'm more of an offensive player than a stall player, but the SubSeed set makes Breloom a lot more durable. But Breloom's HP stat isn't so good on its own, so it's better to just work on Breloom's great Attack stat rather than work with Breloom's HP stat that isn't so good to start with anyway.

Don't feel obligated to stick to the sets described on the strategy page. They are some of the best sets available, but often others won't be posted there or you can come up with more specialized, creative sets on your own. Nica mentioned it, but for example an Expert Belt Landorus set is used to feign a choice item, and so can get an extra kill by pretending it's locked into, say, Earthquake, and then KOing a common switch-in with either HP Ice, U-turn, or Stone Edge. A lot of this you will be able to read into on your own as you improve as a competitive battler.

I really won't just say it's "stall-based" but simply a tactic entirely of its own. a) Leech Seed + Substitute is honestly a tactic you will never come by on hardcore stall teams, and b) it doesn't do a stall team's goal of preventing set-up and forcing switches for hazards damage. SubSeeding is a strategy most often found on bulky or offensive teams, which can use the free healing or added momentum from switches very well. Best set for Breloom is Bulk Up, anyway.
Well, I have to stick to the sets described on the strategy page. I'm not very good as a competitive battler. And this is what a Smogon page says...

"Once you get to more advanced levels of play you can start creating custom Pokemon sets, but until then, the best way to get started is to use the common, tried and true sets until you get down the basics."

I know that this is from a D/P page, but I think that this should work too. Well, I'd like to go and do what you said, which is...

"...or you can come up with more specialized, creative sets on your own."

I'd like to do that, but I have no idea on creating sets and the Smogon page I just talked about says...

"Once you get to more advanced levels of play you can start creating custom Pokemon sets, but until then, the best way to get started is to use the common, tried and true sets until you get down the basics."

It's the same as what I said above. And since I'm not so advanced, I'd like to just stick to the common, tried and true sets.

If I did make my own sets, it would be pretty much terrible. (underestimating myself much?)

And okay, thanks for telling me about Breloom's sets, but still...I plan on using the Focus Punching sets due to the power those sets have (however...not all sets have great power for Focus Punch, but Focus Punch is already powerful on its own). I once did want to use the Bulk Up set, but I changed my mind.

Sorry if any of these replies were a bit problematic.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2012
Best movesets for a toxic trapping Pidgeot? I already have Toxic, Fly, Mirror Move, and Swift. Are those good enough for a toxic trapping Pidgeot in Yellow? Reply please, thanks.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
need help on this team

So i wanted to base a team in RU
on HITMONCHAN for sweeps

Since i have very good experiences with hitmonchan in the past
here is his build for now:

Spoiler:

So I got pretty stuck at this point
Since i think i need a decent hazard-switcher (perhaps Probopass??)
and i need some coverage on some threaths on HITMONCHAN
Like a bulky weezing who can take hits like a boss
or whisp or explode on my boxer

Can any1 help me on this and give some suggestions
and why the poke's would work great together

Years
Question about competitive tiers.

Hey guys, I'm somewhat new to the competitive side of Pokemon, but I've done some searching on Smogon and I was wondering; can I have a team of Pokemon from different tiers? Or do they all have to be on the same tier? Thanks in advance.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Hey guys, I'm somewhat new to the competitive side of Pokemon, but I've done some searching on Smogon and I was wondering; can I have a team of Pokemon from different tiers? Or do they all have to be on the same tier? Thanks in advance.

For a detailed explanation, click here.

You can use any Pokémon from the tier you're battling in and any from a tier below it. It goes Ubers, OU, BL, UU, BL2, RU, NU. For example in OU, you may use OU Pokémon as well as BL, UU, BL2, RU and NU as they are below it, but not Ubers as they are above. In Ubers, all Pokémon are allowed and in NU, only NU Pokémon are allowed.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2014
I'm very confused about this. When a stat is raised by "ONE STAGE", how much is this "ONE STAGE"? I bring this up because I'm very confused as to how a Breloom can outrun a Choice Scarfed Zoroark. My Zoroark is Flawless with Maxed Spd at 339. If a Breloom at 262 spd is backed by Tailwind, which apparently raises spd by 1 stage, how much is this 1 stage? If I remember correctly, 1 stage doesn't out run a Maxed spd choice scarfed very high base stat spd Pokemon easily, especially a Breloom. And this Breloom was holding a Toxic Orb....so....maybe there's something I missed? To me it just doesn't add up.

vaporeon7

Years
I'm very confused about this. When a stat is raised by "ONE STAGE", how much is this "ONE STAGE"? I bring this up because I'm very confused as to how a Breloom can outrun a Choice Scarfed Zoroark. My Zoroark is Flawless with Maxed Spd at 339. If a Breloom at 262 spd is backed by Tailwind, which apparently raises spd by 1 stage, how much is this 1 stage? If I remember correctly, 1 stage doesn't out run a Maxed spd choice scarfed very high base stat spd Pokemon easily, especially a Breloom. And this Breloom was holding a Toxic Orb....so....maybe there's something I missed? To me it just doesn't add up.

VlTH4.png

PkzmE.png

So with the 1.5x boost from Tailwind Breloom could outspeed your Zoroark.
262 x 1.5 = 393

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2014
So with the 1.5x boost from Tailwind Breloom could outspeed your Zoroark.
262 x 1.5 = 393

Ok...I'm still not understanding this at all. So how much of a boost does a Zoroark with 339 SPD with Choice Scarf get? Choice scarf boosts by 50%...I'm not good at math...forgive me, but I thought a 50% boost was higher than the 1.5x

vaporeon7

Years
Ok...I'm still not understanding this at all. So how much of a boost does a Zoroark with 339 SPD with Choice Scarf get? Choice scarf boosts by 50%...I'm not good at math...forgive me, but I thought a 50% boost was higher than the 1.5x

Oh sorry, I didn't read the scarfed bit. And on closer inspection Tailwind doubles speed, which is then +2. So Breloom could've had up to 524 speed and Choice Scarf gives a 1.5x boost giving you 508.5.

Years
Glaceon and Leafeon Moveset

Okay, so i am a proud owner of Glaceon and Leafeon today =D now i wonder what would be a good moveset for them.. It should be overall so I can use them for any team =) Thanks for suggestion =D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Okay, so i am a proud owner of Glaceon and Leafeon today =D now i wonder what would be a good moveset for them.. It should be overall so I can use them for any team =) Thanks for suggestion =D

For Gen IV:

Leafeon:
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Return/Double-Edge
-Synthesis/Quick Attack/X-Scissor
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe

or
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell/Roar/Toxic
-Leaf Blade
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Glaceon:
-Blizzard
-Hidden Power (Ground/Grass)
-Baton Pass
-Ice Beam/Shadow Ball
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

Gen V:

Leafeon: (same above sets, except that the Chlorophyll ability should be used instead for the Swords Dance set)

Glaceon: (same as Gen IV)

Years
For Gen IV:

Leafeon:
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Return/Double-Edge
-Synthesis/Quick Attack/X-Scissor
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe

or
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell/Roar/Toxic
-Leaf Blade
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Glaceon:
-Blizzard
-Hidden Power (Ground/Grass)
-Baton Pass
-Ice Beam/Shadow Ball
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

Gen V:

Leafeon: (same above sets, except that the Chlorophyll ability should be used instead for the Swords Dance set)

Glaceon: (same as Gen IV)

two STAB moves for glaceon? Blizzard is already ice... Maybe Shadow ball makes more sense... Blizzard will always hit when there is hail right? =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back