• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions (Ask Questions Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDreavus

There she goes! =O
    Years
    I want to try and preserve some of my Gardevoir's moves, like Rest and Sleep Talk, in to another Pokemon that I don't use so I can get it when I need it. Gardevoir is in an Egg Group with Castform, Koffing, Shuppet, etc. I had a female Castform (my Gardevoir is male o_o) But I don't like Castform, so I caught a female Shuppet. I put my female Shuppet (who is named AAAAAA for easy reference) that I don't want in the Day Care Center thing along with Gardevoir. Now, if I was successful, I could preserve these moves in the baby Shuppet, delete them from Gardevoir, and use the moves from AAAAA if I need them later. But when I talk to the Day Care man, he says 'They don't seem to like each other.' Does that mean they won't ever breed? Why don't they like each other? Am I right in thinking that the male will pass on the moves, the female will pass on the species?

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I want to try and preserve some of my Gardevoir's moves, like Rest and Sleep Talk, in to another Pokemon that I don't use so I can get it when I need it. Gardevoir is in an Egg Group with Castform, Koffing, Shuppet, etc. I had a female Castform (my Gardevoir is male o_o) But I don't like Castform, so I caught a female Shuppet. I put my female Shuppet (who is named AAAAAA for easy reference) that I don't want in the Day Care Center thing along with Gardevoir. Now, if I was successful, I could preserve these moves in the baby Shuppet, delete them from Gardevoir, and use the moves from AAAAA if I need them later. But when I talk to the Day Care man, he says 'They don't seem to like each other.' Does that mean they won't ever breed? Why don't they like each other? Am I right in thinking that the male will pass on the moves, the female will pass on the species?

You are right. Sorta. I know there's a limit as to the moves passed down to an egg, and I'm not sure Rest and Sleep Talk are some of them. They could be, I'm just going by memory. And they will breed, it just will take longer. The only phrase that shows you the two can NEVER have an egg is "The two prefer to play with other Pokemon than each other", or something along those lines. So don't worry, just be patient. :-)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Egg Moves that Shuppet can learn through Breeding:

Disable
    Destiny Bond
    Foresight
    Astonish
    Imprison

Since Rest is a TM move, Gardevoir can pass that on to Shuppet. Sleep Talk though is a Move Tutor move so you cannot breed that to Shuppet.

As grace already mentioned, Pokes that don't like each other will still breed, but it takes much longer. Be patient.

pikachulover306

*~~Pika Power~~*
    Years
    I want my bellossom to know magical leaf but not through breeding. Is there any other way for bellossom to learn magical leaf. I looked up and it said it can learn it by leveling up but it doesn't tell what level?

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I want my bellossom to know magical leaf but not through breeding. Is there any other way for bellossom to learn magical leaf. I looked up and it said it can learn it by leveling up but it doesn't tell what level?

You can go to the Move Tutor and give him a Heart Scale for him to teach your Bellossom "Magical Leaf"

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I have a quick question,

How do you remove the HM moves? I tried getting a heart scale and doing it that way, but it didn't work. Help please?

Years
    Question about the Elite Four. Ok I planned out a lineup, and made sure they learn their moves at specific levels, the highest level move is Crunch and Salamence learns it at level 61, he will be my highest Pokémon.

Lineup:
    Gardevoir @ Quick Claw
    -Calm Mind
    -Thunder
    -Flash
    -Psychic

Swampert @ NeverMeltIce
    -Earthquake
    -Surf
    -Protect
    -Ice Beam

Absol @ Leftovers
    -Razor Wind
    -Swords Dance
    -Slash
    -Rest

Ninetales @ Charcoal
    -Confuse Ray
    -Will-o-wisp
    -Flamethrower
    -Fire Spin

Machamp @ King's Rock
    -Cross Chop
    -Vital Throw
    -Revenge
    -Flamethrower

Salamence @ Lax Incense
    -Dragon Breath
    -Crunch
    -Protect
    -Dragon Claw

I'm quite sure that I can get all of the items listed, and I will most likely get all of the Pokémon at least level 55 before I try the Elite Four, is this a good lineup, and is there any changes that should be made?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Typically, posts like these should be asked in the Pokemon GB Strategies & Movesets section (https://www.pkmncommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12), but I have you covered. ALWAYS include a Poke's nature if you want help with movesets. Even though you might care/understand about the Nature, it is VITAL to what a moveset should be. At any rate (pun intended), fixes in bold:
    Question about the Elite Four. Ok I planned out a lineup, and made sure they learn their moves at specific levels, the highest level move is Crunch and Salamence learns it at level 61, he will be my highest Pokémon.

Lineup:
    Gardevoir @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Calm Mind
    - Thunder/bolt
    - Hypnosis

- Psychic

You have the general idea, but NEVER use HMs not called Surf on your team, especially the crappiest HM move in the history of the game. That is what a crappy Poke like Tropius is for. Hypnosis allows Gardevoir time to CM up and then sweet most in-game Pokes. Also, avoid using items like Quick Claw and the horrible one-type boosters like Nevermeltice. It is almost like not having a held item at all. Gardevoir can be given Lum Berry, especially if it has Synchronize Trait. If your opponent tries to status you, its trait statuses them and then Lum cures its status. Modest is preferred.

Swampert @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Earthquake
    - Surf
    - Protect/Rest
    - Ice Beam

Pretty standard, although Rest allows it to stay in longer. Chesto Berry also gives you a free Rest usage. Relaxed is the way to go.

Absol @ Leftovers
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) / Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Baton Pass

- Swords Dance/Calm Mind
    - Shadow Ball
    - Substitute

Ugh. Absol's severely limited movepool ruins it. It is best utilized as a Baton Passer that can make your other Pokes better. Adamant for SD and Timid for CM.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hypnosis/Toxic

- Will-O-Wisp
    - Flamethrower
    - Grudge

The problem with Fire-types is that they are typically one-dimensional and very vulnerable defensively, being weak to two VERY common types - Water and Ground. You can WOW to cut down the physical damage, but you cannot do anything about the special damage. Just hope Grudge hits first to drain their PP, before this thing dies. Timid because it needs to outspeed as much as possible to stay alive.

Machamp @ Leftovers/Shell Bell
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Cross Chop
    - Rock Slide/Facade
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Don't use more than one attacking move of the same type. It is redundant and limits the true power this Poke has. It can be an absolute monster with the correct moveset, especially if it gets a Swords Dance BP'd to it from Absol. Putting it to sleep activates its Guts Trait which allows Machamp to destroy teams. Adamant is a no-brainer here.

Salamence @ Choice Band/Shell Bell
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Aerial Ace
    - Brick Break/Rock Slide
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast/Rock Slide

Salamence is a MUCH better physical attacker and a better option than Gardevoir as your lead since it can rape so many different things. Even with -SAtk nature, FB still can take down things are weak to it. RS depends on if you can get it or not (from the MT on FRLG, assuming you have one). If not, BB comes in very handy against the Dark/Ice-types you will be facing. Adamant please.

I'm quite sure that I can get all of the items listed, and I will most likely get all of the Pokémon at least level 55 before I try the Elite Four, is this a good lineup, and is there any changes that should be made?
    To be perfectly honest, this is all you need to defeat the Weak5:

Salamence
    Gardevoir
    Swampert

I even added Salamence for pure convenience. Swampert can get through it by itself and so can Gardevoir. Together they just make it easier for you.

MrDreavus

There she goes! =O
    Years
    Aww crap. I was training an Absol and I just found out about it's terrible moves. WHY DOES NO POKEMON WORK?!! -screams- T__T

Alright, my team is now Gardevoir/Blaziken/Altaria/Skarmory/Open Spot(was Absol)/Open Spot.
    Nothing seems to work...-__- And my Skarm is such a low level and so hard to train. What Pokemon will fit with my team? The only Taillow I have is level 5 and that would take three years to level up for me. I did have Kadabra and Gyarados, but I took them out because Kadabra is worse than Gardevoir and not needed, Gyarados takes up a weakness spot for Skarmory. So now I'm stuck with two spots I need to fill. Any ideas? I'm just at the Magma Hideout just now, I'm not that far in the story. I also need a good Skarm moveset. Is Ninetales a good Pokemon to take up a spot? If it is, where would I get a Fire Stone? What about Lilleep? If I beat Colosseum anytime soon, should I import Pokemon or do I also need to have THIS game done? (maybe I should just post all the Pokemon I have T__T </sarcasm> ) I'm so pathetic at this....

Okay. -breathes- I will just list all the good Pokes I have and someone can help me choose who to train. I hope. They are gonna be Pokemon that are a level close to mine so I can train him easily, not from level 2 or something. I am a terrible Pokemon trainer, I can only get up half a exp point a year <exaggeration>....or, I'll just sort them.
    High/close levels that wont take much to catch up
    -Linoone, lvl 25
    -Caravanha, lvl 29
    -Voltorb, lvl 25
    -Electrike, lvl 24
    -Magnemite, lvl 24
    -Castform, lvl 25 (meh...T_T)
    -Mightyena, lvl 25
    -Shuppet, lvl 28
    -Sableye, lvl 30
    -Gloom, lvl 28
    -Doduo, lvl 27
    -Wobbuffet, lvl 27
    -Graveler, level 31 (meh)

Pokemon that will take a little longer to catch up:
    -Cacnea, lvl 20
    -Trapinch, lvl 20
    -Spoink, lvl 20
    -Wingull, lvl 23
    -Psyduck, lvl 20
    -Rhyhorn, lvl 27
    -Lileep, lvl 20

Pokemon that will take a while to catch up...=(
    -Machop, lvl 16
    -Gulpin, lvl 12
    -Spinda, lvl 15
    -Marill, lvl 13
    -Illumise, lvl 14
    -Goldeen, lvl 18
    -Koffing, lvl 15
    -Slugma, lvl 15

Pokemon that will take 1000 years for me to get caught up T_____T
    -Silcoon, lvl 5
    -Lotad, lvl 3
    -Taillow, lvl 5
    -Zubat, lvl 11
    -Makuhita, lvl 10
    -Aron, lvl 11

So, which Pokemon would fit with my team? I will post more details on the ones that will work if you'd like. Thank you all, I am having a lot of trouble with this =(
    -

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Again, this is more suited for the GB Strategies & Movesets section than here, since it really isn't a simple question, but I will give you a few tips:

An effective team is one that has at least one physical sweeper, at least one special sweeper, a physical wall, a special wall (you can have one Poke handle both jobs if you are good enough), and a utility Poke. Let's look at your team:

PHYSICAL SWEEPER: You do have Blaziken (hopefully with Fire Blast/Rock Slide/Sky Uppercut/Swords Dance), which can do a good job, but its bad typing (weak to Flying, Ground, Psychic, AND Water) and low defenses assure that it won't last long. You should consider running another physical sweeper.

SPECIAL SWEEPER: In-game, Gardevoir can be a devastating special sweeper. If you have the correct moveset (Calm Mind/Hypnosis/Psychic/Thunderbolt), you use Hypnosis first, CM up while the opponent takes a nap and the AI is too stupid to switch out, and then destroy teams with a powered up STAB Psychic or a deadly Thunderbolt. Blaziken can also be counted on as a decent special attacker (note that it can do both jobs, just neither incredibly well). It has speed and a STAB Fire Blast can ruin things.

PHYSICAL WALL: You have this covered with Skarmory, one of the best in the game. The only problem is that in-game you have seen it is pretty difficult to level up this things, especially if you didn't breed Drill Peck on it. With its decent base Atk (80), it can become pretty effective against Fighting-types that you will see often throughout the game. Altaria, while not a wall by any means, has good enough defensive stats to be mentioned.

SPECIAL WALL: Big hole here. Gardevoir can do a pretty decent job, and Altaria has a high base SDef (105), but its 4x weakness to Ice makes it cry. Milotic is pleading to be added to your team, but that all depends on how patient you are at (1) catching a Feebas, (2) breeding the correct nature - Bold, and (3) blending enough berries to max out its Beauty so it will evolve. Regice is the only good special wall option in Emerald. Dusclops or Cradily are pretty good tanks that can take hits though. Dusclops is just not very good at dishing anything out.

UTILITY POKE: Basically this slot is open to be used at your discretion. It helps round out your team. You can include a Poke here that can heal your team (Wish), remove statuses (Heal Bell/Aromatherapy), Baton Pass, Spikes, Sleep, Roar/Whirlwind, or even set up Light Screen/Reflect. You can even forego this spot and just add another physical or special or even a mixed sweeper.

As for your team, it would be best to look through your lists to see what can be added there. Put your team together, then post it in the S & M section and we will be able to help you refine it there.

MrDreavus

There she goes! =O
    Years
    I could use Cradily for my Special Wall if that'd be okay. ^_^ I would try and catch a Feebas, but I am TERRIBLE at fishing as well. Especially in Emerald. I've only fished up something once or twice. I tried to fish for a Staryu yesterday, and I got 48 'It got away...'s in a row before I decided to quit. I'm just not fast enough, perhaps. I will try though =)

Man, it would be great to have Blissey for my Utility Poke, I guess. T__T But, a) I can't get it in Emerald, b) I don't have two gameboys to trade it from Leaf Green, c) I've NEVER. EVER. Caught a Chansey before. I'm that terrible. =(

What does Baton Pass do?
    Why is Wish good for your team, if it only heals yourself?
    How often would I find a Chimecho in Mt Pyre Summit, since it is one of the only Pokemon that can learn Heal Bell?
    Which Pokemon are good Physical Sweepers?
    Should I breed Skarmory to get Whirlwind and Drill Peck so it will function as both a Physical Wall and one of my Utility Pokes?
    Should I evolve an Oddish to get Sleep Powder and Aromatherapy? Then it can function as my Utility Poke?
    Are there any lists of Pokemon that actually fit in to these spots?

Aromatherapy....CRAP. Roselia, Paras, Vileplume. Can't get Roselia, can't evolve Gloom, can't catch Paras. -is hating Emerald and his friends for not liking Pokemon-

Thanks so much ^_^ I will refine my team once more.

Last edited:

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    What does Baton Pass do? It switches out your Pokémon for another on your team, but your next Pokémon gets any stat changes that the passer had.

Why is Wish good for your team, if it only heals yourself? Because if youre in a tight spot, use Wish and switch out. Wish will still take effect even when the Pokémon is in its Pokéball. Oh yeah, I think you can Baton Pass it too

How often would I find a Chimecho in Mt Pyre Summit, since it is one of the only Pokemon that can learn Heal Bell? Its pretty rare. I found one first try, but I heard other accounts of never finding one. Anyway, its on the Pyre summit. Go to the grass patch thats the furthest up, on the left side of the road. Thats where I found it.

Which Pokemon are good Physical Sweepers? Ask shane

Should I breed Skarmory to get Whirlwind and Drill Peck so it will function as both a Physical Wall and one of my Utility Pokes? If you wanted it to put up a fight while it still held as a wall maybe. But would that mean youre going for a WW/DP/Spikes/Roar moveset? Because it still is fairly limited. Personally, for the sake of distinction, I threw in Rest and Toxic to really be Wall-like. But you could always ask shane for this. Im still brushing up on my battle-tech ._.

Should I evolve an Oddish to get Sleep Powder and Aromatherapy? Then it can function as my Utility Poke? Well, what would you give it if you didnt? Besides that theres just Stun Spore. Of course you could also wait for PoisonPowder and then evolve... With an average ATK, you could even throw in Facade, and then use Aromatherapy.

Are there any lists of Pokemon that actually fit in to these spots? Youll have to get someone to write one up for you, since these lists are established by users and not officially declared. Yeah, in other words, ask our man o' the house shane xD

Hope that answes some of your questions! I helped all I could!

As for my Q, is there any Pokémon besides Cradily that can learn both Ingrain and Leech Seed?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back