• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions (Ask Questions Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LG_Rocket_FL

Eeveelution Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2007
    If my Aipom uses attract and then baton passes to someone else, does the attraction stay?

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    There are actually only five phrases that guarantee certain Berries — and in this case Berries that cannot be found elsewhere.

GREAT BATTLE: Spelon Berry
    CHALLENGE CONTEST: Pamtre Berry
    OVERWHELMING LATIAS: Watmel Berry
    COOL LATIOS: Durin Berry
    SUPER HUSTLE: Belue Berry

I don't know whether they match, but I'm sure those are the required phrases.

Actually, the sixth is saying the Dewford Phrase and you'll get a Lum Berry. But, as I said, I just said any strange phrase I came up with a sometimes got one too. (Only after I already had one)

Also, I tried the same phrases in another game and didn't get anything.

Chemical

Adventure Through Inner Space
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2008
    Are there any neat tricks you can do with Sapphire, like how you could do all those neat things in Blue? If so, can someone link me to something relating to it?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2007
    I'm using my brother's account so I hope I'm not breaking any rules...

I just got Ruby, and I'm pretty well into it. Does anyone know where I go to after I've got my 7th badge?

MrRandomIDon'tCare

I'm Not Here
    Years
    yes, you have to go into stevens house which is just north of the pokemon centre and to the right, and he gives you HM08: Dive. then u go into the seafloor cavern on route 128

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2007
    Ok I'm in Sootopolis but I can't go into the Gym, and team Magma's submarine isn't here either.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I've got a question about Magneton...

It's one of my favourite Pokes, and on almost every team I've ever built, but I can never seem to get decent HP on it. As I've read, it's max HP is 304, but my level 87 Magneton has an HP of 186. Even with max EVs, I doubt it could make it to 304 in 14 levels. I've been breeding and breeding and breeding at an attempt to get better IVs, and while they start out decent enough (value [not stat!] 25 for a level 5). But as I raise the level up to 20, one of the better levels to check for IVs, it's HP value goes down at an incredible rate. The 25er went down to 7 about. Is there anything special I can do, through breeding, to have it with better HP? Every one I get starts out with 18 or 17. I'd like it at least 250 max, which isn't anything special, but 186 is just laughable. And EVs wouldn't help too much, because I would max out Special Attack, of course, and I would want to put a hefty amount in Special Defense (correct me if I'm wrong) and Speed, leaving little to add to HP.

So do I just have to be patient and raise EACH one to level 20 and check IVs, or is there something about IVs I don't understand?

what?

an 815 survivor :P
    Years
    • Seen May 23, 2007
    you can get a leftovers in the ship after beating the elite four, down in the basement inside a garbage can with those 2 walking sailors.
    otherwise, you can get one by battling in the battle tower every 7 battles after winning 50 in a row.

as for the magneton, i would do modest, so i don't have to put EVs into SpAtt, and max out HP and some in SpDef/spd.
    personally i wouldn't put in any speed at all.
    but thats what i would do.

the only thing magneton can breed with is ditto, so you can try to capture a high HP-IV one, for that 25% IV gene transfer or something.
    but there's a better way:
    get a ditto with the prefered nature, let it hold an everstone.
    leave it in the daycare, and save in front of the guy.
    then recieve the egg, and then when it hatches, check the IV of the HP by using that old man in Battle Frontier or by using 15 rare candies.
    if it's at a high enough value for you, save it. If not, reset and recieve the egg again.
    the egg will hatch the magnemite with exactly the same nature and ability, but this time the IV's will change.

i have a question: why do people use magneton? besides killing skarmory...

Last edited:

Dee Trier

Drageon The Dragon Type Eevee
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Feb 19, 2010
    Let's say there is a ninjask and umbreon. Say ninjask protect twice, and umbreon curse twice.
    So the current stat should be ninjask speed +2(stage), and umbreon speed -2. If umbreon use psych up at the third turn what stage will the umbreon's speed? 0 (normal) or +2?

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    as for the magneton, i would do modest, so i don't have to put EVs into SpAtt, and max out HP and some in SpDef/spd.

Magneton doesn't really serve much purpose without an extremely high Special Attack. I think it's similarto Alakazam: maxing it's special attack is almost mandatory. For the Magneton I have currently, I think I did max out HP... which makes itall the more pitiful. Maybe I just got unlucky with IVs with him.

the only thing magneton can breed with is ditto, so you can try to capture a high HP-IV one, for that 25% IV gene transfer or something.
    then recieve the egg, and then when it hatches, check the IV of the HP by using that old man in Battle Frontier or by using 15 rare candies.
    if it's at a high enough value for you, save it. If not, reset and recieve the egg again.
    the egg will hatch the magnemite with exactly the same nature and ability, but this time the IV's will change.

I didn't know about the IV thing when breeding... that's actually really useful.
    Thanks for that!

Same reason why people use other craptacular Pokes: we like 'em. Magneton's only acknowledged purpose is to counter Skarmory, but he's never really disappointed me in other terms besides his low HP. His Special Attack can be pretty damned high, and his defense is pretty good (except against a fighting type, or 'super effective'), although his Special Defense is usually pretty bad, making him a poor water counter. But he does make a good flying counter, and makes a half-decent special sweeper, if you're lucky enough to get the right Hidden Power move; for example, HP Ice will usually OHKO Salamence, as long as Maggie's lucky enough to strike first.

Dee Trier

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Feb 19, 2010
    you can get a leftovers in the ship after beating the elite four, down in the basement inside a garbage can with those 2 walking sailors.
    otherwise, you can get one by battling in the battle tower every 7 battles after winning 50 in a row.

Another reason is when you're bored using familiar pokemon (People often over using metagross, alakazam,aerodactyl, swampert etc) so why not battle using "unfamiliar" pokemon (xatu, meganium,bannete etc)

what?

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2007
    psych up will replace your stat with the selected target's stat, so it will override your -2 speed with ninjask's +2 speed.
    however, since ninjask also has +0 att and +0 def, that means you also get +0 in those stats.

Dee Trier

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Feb 19, 2010
    Can you psych up/skill swap/transform/role play to a pokemon using protect?
    When passing substitute whose status will be used in calculation? Let's say umbreon sub then passing to gengar, will the sub attacked by Fighting move?

what?

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2007
    1) yes
    2) the fighting attack will not hit the gengar
    but that's as far as i know about substitute. i don't know if the substitute will keep the original pokemon's defenses.
    i do know that the substitute will keep it's HP.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back