• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions (Ask Questions Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I've got a question about Magneton...

It's one of my favourite Pokes, and on almost every team I've ever built, but I can never seem to get decent HP on it. As I've read, it's max HP is 304, but my level 87 Magneton has an HP of 186. Even with max EVs, I doubt it could make it to 304 in 14 levels. I've been breeding and breeding and breeding at an attempt to get better IVs, and while they start out decent enough (value [not stat!] 25 for a level 5). But as I raise the level up to 20, one of the better levels to check for IVs, it's HP value goes down at an incredible rate. The 25er went down to 7 about. Is there anything special I can do, through breeding, to have it with better HP? Every one I get starts out with 18 or 17. I'd like it at least 250 max, which isn't anything special, but 186 is just laughable. And EVs wouldn't help too much, because I would max out Special Attack, of course, and I would want to put a hefty amount in Special Defense (correct me if I'm wrong) and Speed, leaving little to add to HP.

So do I just have to be patient and raise EACH one to level 20 and check IVs, or is there something about IVs I don't understand?
    Maggie can only achieve a 304 stat if you have max IVs and max EVs. While max IVs are hard to come by, you should avoid maxing its HP EVs. The max HP without EVs is 241. If you have a Lv87 Maggie and your HP is only 187, then your HP IV is only THREE. I would HIGHLY advise you to download Metalkid's Pokemon Program. It has an offline calculator in it that I find EXTREMELY helpful. It sounds to me that you might be miscalculating its stats. What I do is hatch a bunch of Maggie babies and then save the game. Then I feed 6 of them 15 Rare Candies each, and then calculate the IVs. The HP IV MUST be in the 30-31 range. Keep the good and release the bad. Then you save again, and then feed each Maggie 45 RCs (you can do this one at a time if you haven't harvested enough RCs) and then check stats again. If they are still in the 30-31 and the other stats are acceptable (meaning 31 SAtk), then you are done. Otherwise, I would replace whatever you were using before to breed with said Maggie. Now you have a Maggie with good IV stat to breed off. Breed again. Save BEFORE you take the egg. As it was said before, all the attributes of a Poke are already set EXCEPT the IVs. Take the egg, hatch it, feed it 15 RCs, and then check its stats. If it is 30-31, keep it. If it isn't, reset and when you take the egg again, the IVs will be re-calculated. Personally, breeding a Genderless Poke is tough since you cannot influence the IVs the way you can otherwise.

ALWAYS go with Modest Nature and ALWAYS max out its SAtk EVs. Don't waste EVs in defenses. It should be MAX SAtk, then Spd (somewhere around 180-190, iirc), then HP.

i have a question: why do people use magneton? besides killing skarmory...
    Because the quality of Electric Pokes is that low, especially in the Hoenn region. Seriously, look at the crap that is there. Not counting Legis, there is Jolteon and then Electabuzz and Maggie with Lanturn bringing up the rear.

Can you psych up/skill swap/transform/role play to a pokemon using protect?
    When passing substitute whose status will be used in calculation? Let's say umbreon sub then passing to gengar, will the sub attacked by Fighting move?
    None of those moves are attacking moves so that is acceptable. The Sub is created through the HP of the creator, but the type of the Sub is the same as the current Poke. If Umbreon BPs to Gengar, the Sub calculation DOES NOT change, and Fighting moves CANNOT hit the Sub. Just remember that when a Poke BPs to another Poke, it cannot pass its base stats, only stats boosts from moves like Agility, Swords Dance, Belly Drum, etc.

Auron

Legendary Guardian
    Years
    That's good !! But yesterday Emerald told me "The flowers of...are blooming very well" (Bad translation from Spanish xD and after watering it, Emerald told me "The flowers of...are blooming without problems"...And it looked de-leveled for me...xD

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    That's good !! But yesterday Emerald told me "The flowers of...are blooming very well" (Bad translation from Spanish xD and after watering it, Emerald told me "The flowers of...are blooming without problems"...And it looked de-leveled for me...xD
    So what you are saying is, you checked the tree and got one phrase, immediately watered the tree, and then checked the tree again and got a different phrase? That just sounds too random to me.

If you are really that concerned about it, why don't you test it? One day only water one time per stage and notate the number of berries you get. The next day water frequent times per stage and then compare the number of berries you get.

I know that if you don't water once per stage, some berries won't give you as many berries, but I have never had an issue with watering too much.

Years
    I was looking at a site recommending movesets for Poke's, and it says for A LOT of the Poke's to use a certain Hidden Power. For example it says for a Charizard to use either Hidden Power Grass or Hidden Power Ice. How do I know if I teach it Hidden Power that it will learn the Grass or Ice one?

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    I was looking at a site recommending movesets for Poke's, and it says for A LOT of the Poke's to use a certain Hidden Power. For example it says for a Charizard to use either Hidden Power Grass or Hidden Power Ice. How do I know if I teach it Hidden Power that it will learn the Grass or Ice one?

Check out this website.

Hidden Power is based on your EVs, so you can enter them here if you know them. If not, scroll down about half-way and perform the steps there to find out the manual way!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    IVs are "Individual Values". Every Poke that you catch/hatch has a hidden random IV number for each of its stats. IVs are on a scale of 0-31. A Poke with 31 HP IV points has an extra 31 points added to its HP stat. They are very similar to EVs, but you cannot change them without cheating. The closest you can come to influencing IVs is through breeding. When two Pokes breed, they pass down 3 of their IV stats (2 from one parent, and one from the other) to the baby. Before you take the egg from the Daycare Dude, save your game. Then take an hatch the egg and feed it 15 Rare Candies. With an IV Calculator (found online or using Metalkid's Pokemon Program offline), you can take that baby and figure out what their IVs will be. If they are too low, just reset and try again.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Dargh! Right, they were IVs >_<

Do you have a link to either of the IV calculators that you mentioned? 'Cause I'd really like to bring out the best in my Pokémon! ^_^

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2007
    What is the easiest way of finding and catching Latios without master ball?

Does his position change when you use Fly?

Years

Don't know about position changing when you use fly, but it's position changes very frequently.

To find Lati@s easier you can use Repels, but it would kinda waste your time if you don't know where it is. If you've seen it before and it runs away you'll have it in your pokedex, then you can just go to Area, find where it is, and use a Repel, you should find it much easier. Also, a good way to catch it without using a Master Ball would be to have a Pokemon with Mean Look and use that move first. Then put Lati@s to sleep. If it can't escape, and you weaken it then put it to sleep it shouldn't be TOO hard to catch with Ultra Balls, but it may take a while.

Just carry around a bunch of level 50 Golbats =3

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years

Fly to Lilicove, then go to the grass on the west (using a repel), if you don't find it in a short time, fly back to Lilicove and follow the steps again. You should find it very quickly.

To catch it, you could use mean look or spider web and then put it asleep. Ultra Balls should do it when its HP is low.

Dee Trier

Drageon The Dragon Type Eevee
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Feb 19, 2010

It's position changed when you fly. IMO Wobbufet is better for trapping Lati@s. It's resist Lati@s attack, and don't have to use mean look every 5 turn

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    A way that worked in 5 minutes for me...

First make sure Latios/Latias is on your Pokédex of course!

FLY to Lilycove. RUN/WALK to route 121, or whichever route is immediately left of Lilycove City. Check Pokédex location. If you arent in the same place, repeat the process and FLY back to Lilycove again! Repeat until successful! Also, I used Wobbuffet also. After getting Latias down to 1/4% hp, I got lucky with 2 Ultra Balls. Keep trying!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back