• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions (Ask Questions Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingbat

Cacnea is AWESOME.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    Is there really any point in choosing Mudkip at the start of Pokémon Emerald? Every other Pokémon that I find seems to be a water type!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Mudkip is far and away the best starter ever. While it starts out as Water, it evolves into Water/Ground, one of the best types in the game. Swampert is also the only Hoenn starter that can get its standard moveset before battling the E4. Both Blaziken and Sceptile require move tutor moves from the Battle Frontier to make them as versatile and powerful as Swampert.

Sure, you might see other Water-types early on, but none are as good as Swampert. Whenever I restart, I always pick Mudkip and then catch an Adamant Taillow. Those two, plus 4 Zigzagoon for Pickup and HM slave purposes, get me through the game very quickly, so I can get the TMs and items I need and then start all over again.

Dingbat

Cacnea is AWESOME.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    Well, I chose Mudkip, only to capture, in order:
    • Lotad
    • Wingull
    • Marill
    Only trouble I find with Water/Ground is that it has double Grass weakness, and Swampert doesn't learn any Fire, Psychic, Flying or Poison moves...

Anyway, I started getting pretty annoyed that I'd chosen a water Pokémon when I could've captured at least three and chosen Torchic or Treecko.

Still, I'll take your advice - you know what you're doing, that much is evident.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2006
    Well, I chose Mudkip, only to capture, in order:
    • Lotad
    • Wingull
    • Marill
    Only trouble I find with Water/Ground is that it has double Grass weakness, and Swampert doesn't learn any Fire, Psychic, Flying or Poison moves...

Anyway, I started getting pretty annoyed that I'd chosen a water Pokémon when I could've captured at least three and chosen Torchic or Treecko.

Still, I'll take your advice - you know what you're doing, that much is evident.

You capture Marill and Wingull? You fail as a trainer.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    You capture Marill and Wingull? You fail as a trainer.
    Don't bother posting if you have nothing constructive to add.

Dingbat, while the Mudkip evo has a 4x weakness to Grass, it also learns Ice Beam, which is SE against Grass-types. An unsuspecting trainer that would switch in a Sceptile (or other Grass-type) against Swampert, wanting to take advantage of the 4x weakness will be in for a rude awakening.

The bottom line, is you can start with any Poke you want, regardless of what anyone else says. Last time I checked Marill and Wingull were necessary to fill out the Pokedex.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2006
    Don't bother posting if you have nothing constructive to add.

Dingbat, while the Mudkip evo has a 4x weakness to Grass, it also learns Ice Beam, which is SE against Grass-types. An unsuspecting trainer that would switch in a Sceptile (or other Grass-type) against Swampert, wanting to take advantage of the 4x weakness will be in for a rude awakening.

The bottom line, is you can start with any Poke you want, regardless of what anyone else says. Last time I checked Marill and Wingull were necessary to fill out the Pokedex.

I don't bother with filling out my pokedex. I only catch worthwile pokemon.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    But sometimes that doesn't help, if you want to beat the game then your going to have to catch them all. Its understandable to catch the Pokemon you need for your team to get all badges and beat the Pokemon leauge after that you need to catch them all

:t093:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    trouble I find with Water/Ground is that it has double Grass weakness, and Swampert doesn't learn any Fire, Psychic, Flying or Poison moves...

What type is his hidden power? 3-5* out of 17 types isnt bad; its a little under 30%.
    Who knows... You may get lucky!

*Taking into account Psychic against all those Grass/Poison guys out there

Dingbat

Cacnea is AWESOME.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    I don't bother with filling out my pokedex. I only catch worthwile pokemon.
    Well then we know what kind of a trainer you are. Feel free to not post again. Having just started Emerald and knowing for a fact that it's possible to obtain a special Pokémon after completing the Hoenn 'Dex, I capture whatever I find.

'Kay, so my team is looking a bit fuller now. I have Shroomish, Nincada, Taillow (couldn't find an Adamant one anywhere...), the Wingull I mentioned earlier and a Silcoon. Of course, I intend to replace most of these, but for now I feel my team is a little less biased. I also switch Lotad in every so often.

My question is, do you have any recommendations? Zigzagoon don't seem to be any good for anything that isn't HM-slaving, and my Poochyena seems to be the weakest Dark-type I ever used. I'm still looking for a Ralts, but are there any other good Pokémon I should be catching at this stage?

Dingbat

Cacnea is AWESOME.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    I only just got to Dewford, so I think they're still quite a way away tbh.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2008
    The ticket was a give away, like mew in the old days.........but you got a ticket and had to go by boat (in the game) and catch the pokemon.
    I got one hpw do i get the Volt tackle and the light ball for Pikachu R/S/E

Are u taking to me about Volt tackle?

Well, I want one female Eevee for Vaporeon, but I tried it. I have four male Eevees! How do I breeding Eevee to get one female Eevee?

Last edited:

Dingbat

Cacnea is AWESOME.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    You can't. It's literally down to chance.

Last edited:

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
    My question is, do you have any recommendations? Zigzagoon don't seem to be any good for anything that isn't HM-slaving, and my Poochyena seems to be the weakest Dark-type I ever used. I'm still looking for a Ralts, but are there any other good Pokémon I should be catching at this stage?
    What about Zigzagoon's Pickup ability? Although they only do it occasionaly, they usually pick up worthwhile items like nuggets.

If you intend to use Ralts against Brawly in the second gym, you would have to do some serious levelling up.

And Pokemon Genius, Every Pokemon is worthwhile!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    How many catchable pokemon will their be on Pearl and Diamond?
    That would be a question for the Diamond/Pearl Simple Question section.

How to get celebii and jirachi in emerald please,Thanks

Ren-Kun~
    You cannot get either in Emerald. I still think you can get Celebi at one of the Nintendo events happening around the US this year. Jirachi comes in the bonus disk of the old Pokemon Colesseum game. You might be able to find one on eBay.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    I believe that after you get the National 'Dex and some other things, you get the Pokétore, an addon to the Pokéwatch. This thing will locate a pokémon rustling in tall grass near you. When you go to it, theres a chance that a Non-shinou'dex pokémon will appear there. With this feature, all pokémon that arent starters or 00bers will be obtainable ...if you look hard enough!

So to answer your question, Pokemon_Genius: No. Besides, some earlier gen pokémon are always included in newer versions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back