• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions (Ask Questions Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon Tamer Ed

Formerly DarkParukia
    Years
    The Shedinja spawned is in fact shiny. It happened to me...

Also speaking of shinies, when breeding, when is the pokemon's shiny value set?

Is it at the same time as the gender when the egg is first made (when the old man steps out)?
    Or at the same time as the nature when you actually receive the egg?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    The Shedinja spawned is in fact shiny. It happened to me...

Also speaking of shinies, when breeding, when is the pokemon's shiny value set?

Is it at the same time as the gender when the egg is first made (when the old man steps out)?
    Or at the same time as the nature when you actually receive the egg?
    Since I haven't wasted enough time doing that, I can only say that outside of Emerald, all values are set when the Daycare Dude steps out. In Emerald, only IVs are not set until the egg hatches. It would stand to reason then the different color value is set with the former than the latter, but I am definitely not going to waste that much time to test it. Good luck with that.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Which male Poke could I breed with my female Skarmory to get the egg move Whirlwind? I'd assume almost any bird pokemon. Skarmory is like the only flying type to NOT learn Whirlwind naturally, go figure.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Actually, you would be surprised what Pokes can learn Whirlwind naturally:

Beautifly
    Butterfree
    Dustox
    Makuhita
    Masquerain
    Pidgey
    Tropius

That is it, and Pidgey (Lv17) is the only Poke that can breed Whirlwind to Skarmory.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Actually, you would be surprised what Pokes can learn Whirlwind naturally:

Beautifly
    Butterfree
    Dustox
    Makuhita
    Masquerain
    Pidgey
    Tropius

That is it, and Pidgey (Lv17) is the only Poke that can breed Whirlwind to Skarmory.

Damn, not only was I wrong (in a bad way), but that also means I have to crack out my LeafGreen again. Oh well. Thanks for the help!

Also, I've just began working with IVs. It seemed curious to me... but could you tell an IV layman like myself what exactly the numbers 0 - 31 mean in respect to IVs, and what exactly can be done to better them through breeding (if there is a way). I understand how to get more chances for IVs from your guide, but I'm rather uneducated with IV 101. LOL

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Individual Values (IVs) is a point value that ALL Pokes get as soon as you catch/hatch them. The point value ranges from 0-31. Unlike EVs though, the value directly affects the particular stat. If your Steelix has a Def IV of 31, that means it has 31 extra points added to its base Def stat. So, between proper manipulation of IVs and EV breeding, you can affect a particular stat of a Poke by 94 points. That is the difference between a Lv100 Metagross having an Atk of 275 and 369, and we haven't even covered what affect you can have by giving a Poke a beneficial nature. Giving our Metagross a +Atk nature, that turns the 369 Atk stat with max IV/EVs into 405, giving a total of a 130 point difference from the first example. HUGE.

If you have Emerald, there is an easy way to manipulate the IVs of a Poke. First you get the species you want to breed and a Ditto that has the nature you want. You then proceed to breed babies until you have at least 6 Pokes of each gender (if applicable). SAVE YOUR GAME. Once that is done, you feed each one 15 Rare Candies to get them to Lv20 and then pull out your handy IV calculator (I suggest metalkid's program, but not sure if I can publish the webpage) and see what their IVs are. If any stats are maxed, notate that and continue on. Once finished, reset the game. Now you keep the Pokes with good stats and then release the others into the wild. It would be wise to also note what the Lv5 stats are for the stats that you found to be maxed at Lv20. This comes handly later on.

The next step is to determine whether or not any babies of the new generation should replace ma or pa in the Daycare Center. If any have better IVs in the targeted stats, do it. Once that is done, repeat the process with generation after generation until you get two (if applicable) parents with strong IVs.

At this point, we need to cover the most important part about breeding in Emerald. In the other games when you breed, the parents will contribute three random IV stats that will be passed on to the baby. Two from one parent and one from the other parent. The problem is that both parents can pass on the same stat, effectively only passing on two IV stats. That problem was fixed in Emerald. You are guaranteed three unique IV stats to be passed on to the baby. The next best thing is that in Emerald, all values are set once the DC Dude steps out with your egg, EXCEPT the IVs. That means you can save the game BEFORE you take the egg and then reset the game if the IVs don't end up being what you wanted them to. What you do is take the egg and hatch it. Then you compare the Lv5 stats with the Lv5 stats that you should have recorded earlier in the breeding process. If they match, you keep the egg. If they don't, you reset. You repeat this process a few times until you have a good group of super babies. Then you repeat the process of feeding them RCs and then double-checking their IVs.

Voila!! You now have baby Pokes with good IVs that you can now proceed to EV train.

MrRandomIDon'tCare

I'm Not Here
    Years
    Answers in bold:

Yep. It doesn't evolve until Lv50. Don't forget that Dragonite doesn't evolve until Lv55. Dragons are old.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks 4 ur help, shane.

MrRandomIDon'tCare

I'm Not Here
    Years
    can sum 1 plz tell me where to find a flygon? i think shane is definitely guna knnow this. and ive got either emerald or sapphire so if its anygame other than them, then im guna cry.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2007
    Where on Route 115 in r/s/e is the 'Jigglypuff' found? There seems to be only one patch of grass if you surf north before you get to the cave entrance, and I've only found Swablus, Taillows, & Swellows.

Thank you!

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    Shinies appear every 1/8191 battles so you will have to spent a long time looking for it in the wild or you can hatch eggs till you get it.
    I finally got to answer something.

Years
    Another question. Most ppl are dumb and haven't given me a clear answer only Steven and you will do a double battle. I know that but i can't make Maxie battle us. No comment so i've decided to ask you guys. I am stuck at Mossdeep Space Centre as Maxie just keeps talking with Steven and Steven has dive meaning i can't get to the Underwater cave and Sootopolis City.

Last Time, how do i battle/ make Steven batlle in Mossdeep Space centre after defeating all of the Magma Grunts.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Have you defeated Tate and Liza yet?

Team Magma doesn't appear at all until you beat Tate and Liza.

Only thing I can think of is that you didn't talk to him twice. Talk to Steven once, and he will talk to Maxie. Steven will then recoil. Talk to Steven again. He should ask you if you're ready for a battle.

Years
    Team Magma doesn't appear at all until you beat Tate and Liza.

Only thing I can think of is that you didn't talk to him twice. Talk to Steven once, and he will talk to Maxie. Steven will then recoil. Talk to Steven again. He should ask you if you're ready for a battle.

I never actually talked to him twice in arow thatnks. I am in the Midst of Owning at the moment. "Steven just keep using Metal Claw and we'll win"
    is what i'm yelling out at the moment.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Where on Route 115 in r/s/e is the 'Jigglypuff' found? There seems to be only one patch of grass if you surf north before you get to the cave entrance, and I've only found Swablus, Taillows, & Swellows.

Thank you!

Shes up there, it just takes a while, took me about a half hour to find her, but I think you have the right place in mind

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back