• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions (Ask Questions Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auron

Legendary Guardian
    Years
    Thanks a lot !! And...How should I train my Milotic ?? Should I train one level in Route 113, and another in Route 114 ?? Or should train it another way ?? Thanks in advance. Using a Macho Brace in Milotic worth it ??

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Using a Macho Brade is ALWAYS worth it. What you don't want to do is train Milotic in either SAtk nor SDef. Like Blissey, Milotic is an exception to the EV rule about only using EVs to accentuate a Poke's strength. With Milotic's already high base HP and SDef, if you were to give it the correct nature (Bold, ALWAYS), then focus EVs into HP and Def, it makes Milotic much more formidable. Not only does it allow it to take physical hits easier, but if it gets inflicted with a status ailment, its Def gets boosted by 1.5x, allowing it to tank on both sides. Through in its already nice base SAtk and you have one terrific Poke.

So, here are the Pokes that give you HP and Def EVs in Emerald:

2 HP EVs
    Hariyama
    Jigglypuff
    Loudred
    Marill
    Tropius
    Wailord
    Whiscash

1 HP EV
    Barboach
    Chinchou
    Ditto
    Grimer
    Gulpin
    Makuhita
    Relicanth
    Shroomish
    Slakoth
    Snorunt
    Spheal
    Wailmer
    Whismur
    Wurmple
    Wynaut

Best route for HP EV training: Marill, Petalburg City (100%)

2 Def EVs
    Cascoon
    Graveler
    Lairon
    Pelipper
    Silcoon
    Skarmory
    Torkoal

1 Def EV
    Aron
    Cacnea
    Clamperl
    Geodude
    Koffing
    Mawile
    Nincada
    Nosepass
    Relicanth
    Sableye
    Sandshrew
    Seedot

Best route for Def EV training:
    Geodude/Graveler/Torkoal, Magma Hideout (100%)

Note: Relicanth gives 1 HP EV and 1 Def EV.

Might as well include Atk and Spd:

2 Atk EVs
    Absol
    Banette
    Gyarados
    Mightyena
    Nuzleaf
    Sharpedo
    Solrock

1 Atk EV
    Bagon
    Carvanha
    Corphish
    Goldeen
    Machop
    Poochyena
    Seviper
    Shuppet
    Trapinch

Best route for Atk EV training: Carvanha/Sharpedo, Route 118 (100%)

2 Spd EVs
    Electrode
    Golbat
    Linoone
    Manectric
    Swellow

1 Spd EV
    Electrike
    Illumise
    Luvdisc
    Magikarp
    Minun
    Plusle
    Skitty
    Smeargle
    Staryu
    Taillow
    Volbeat
    Voltorb
    Vulpix
    Wingull
    Zigzagoon
    Zubat

Best route for Spd EV training: Golbat, Meteor Falls (90%)

ck1109

Mew Rules!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2009
    sorry i meant regi dolls. so how do you get them? i want to get them all please!

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    They just don't get evs bonus. If their ev's has been taken all it doesn't matter how you levelling up them. SHouldn't this in simple question thread?

Could you explain a little more in detail. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Dee Trier

Drageon The Dragon Type Eevee
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Feb 19, 2010
    EV (Effort Vallue)
    It's the bonus status when battling pokemon. To check whether it's has been taken all or not you can check in Slateport, women near energy guru, She will give you effort ribbon if it has been taken all.

More detailed information could be seen in serebii or other pokemon site. I dunno whether posting link to there is allowed.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    When you level up a Pokemon with a Rare Candy, does the Attack, Defense, Speed, Special, all of that grow as they would had you leveled up by strictly battling?
    This is a question that's been bugging me for a while, does anybody have an answer?

Could you explain a little more in detail. I have no idea what you're talking about.
    There is a BIG difference between leveling up by Rare Candies and leveling up through battling. The difference has to do with what is termed Effort Values. Effort Values (EVs) are basically bonus points your Poke earns by battling. Every Poke in the game is assigned an EV in one of the six different stats. For example, battling a Raichu will earn 3 Spd EVs while battling a Wigglytuff will net 3 HP EVs.

Now, once your Poke has gained 4 EV points in a particular stat, that stat will increase by 1 point. There is limit to how many EVs a Poke can earn though. It is 510 points. There is also a limit to how many EVs a Poke can earn in one particular stat. That is 255 points. So, essentially you could max out two stats. I will advise you though to NEVER put 255 points in one stat as that is just a waste. Since it takes 4 points to increase a stat by 1 point, if you do the math you will see that 255 doesn't go into 4, but 252 does. That leaves 3 wasted points that you could put somewhere else. If you were to max two stats, you should use the 252 / 252 / 6 spread. That is 63 extra points in two stats and 1 point in a third. You are still wasting 2 points, but that is better than 6.

Now for the bad news. In the game, there is no possible way to track how many EVs a Poke has learned or in which stat they have been learned. That is something you must do on your own. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use and I also use metalkid's offline pokemon program to help too. The game can only help in two areas. The first is visiting the Energy Guru's wife in Slateport. If you have a Poke that has earned 510 total EV points, she will give an Effort Ribbon for your trouble. Woopdee-freaking-do, right? The other area is the Happiness Berries in Emerald (#21-#26) will decrease 10 EVs of the corresponding stat while increasing its Happiness. If you save the game first and then start feeding your Poke one of the berries and count how many berries it took to say the EVs won't go any lower, and then restart the game, you have a pretty good idea of how many EVs have been added to that stat. Repeat as necessary for the others stats.

So what does all this really mean? Let me break it down for you. Let's say that you and I both have a Lv5 Bagon with an Adamant Nature. You are going to feed your Bagon 45 Rare Candies until it evolves into Salamence. I am going to battle in-game until it evolves into Salamence. However, I am only going to battle Pokes that increase Atk EVs and Spd EVs. So, at Lv50, here is your Salamence's stats:

HP: 155
    Atk: 154
    Def: 85
    SAtk: 103
    SDef: 85
    Spd: 105

Not too bad, right? Well, let's take a quick look at my Salamence:

HP: 155
    Atk: 188
    Def: 85
    SAtk: 103
    SDef: 85
    Spd: 136

See the difference? Well, we aren't finished yet. Now that my EV training has been completed, we are both going to use RCs to raise our Salamence to Lv100. Once again, here are the stats of your Lv100 Adamant Salamence:

HP: 300
    Atk: 302
    Def: 165
    SAtk: 202
    SDef: 165
    Spd: 205

Pretty impressive. Well, until you see my stats:

HP: 301
    Atk: 371
    Def: 165
    SAtk: 202
    SDef: 165
    Spd: 268

So, with EV training in Atk and Spd (and 6 points in HP), my Salamence has 63 more points in both Atk and Spd (and 1 point in HP). That can be the difference between getting a OHKO or not. This also shows you why Salamence is a much better physical attacker than a special attacker. Even with a Modest nature that -Atk, its Atk stat will still be the same as the SAtk stat. Don't forget that Salamence can hold either the Choice Band to increase its Atk by 10% or it learn Dragon Dance, which will increase both its Atk and Spd. Physical Salamence wins in a landslide.

So, aside from the little rant at the end, that is EVs in a nutshell.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Actually, in RSE, the only purpose the time has is for evolving Espeon/Umbreon, and berry harvesting. It really doesn't matter much if the clock is off an hour. It will have no effect on your gameplay whatsoever.

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
    Ok, let's say I need a pokemon to learn some egg moves, but the egg moves come from two different partners within the egg group, If I breed it with one and get the egg move onto it, and then breed it with another to get the other egg move, does the original egg move stay?

Sorry if this confuses people, I just don't know how to word it properly

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    As long as it is a male that knows the Egg move, then yes, the moves will accumulate. For example:

Pokemon A wants to learn Egg Move 1 and Egg Move 2
    Pokemon B is in Pokemon A's Egg group and knows Egg Move 1
    Pokemon C is in Pokemon B's Egg group and knows Egg Move 2
    You then breed a male Pokemon C with a female Pokemon B to get a male Pokemon B baby
    Pokemon B baby will be born with Egg Move 2
    Now get Pokemon B baby to learn Egg move 1 so it has both moves
    You then breed Pokemon B with a female Pokemon A to get a Pokemon A baby
    Pokemon A baby will be born with Egg Move 1 and Egg Move 2

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
    Ok using your method of assigning them
    Pokemon A wants to learn Egg Move 1 and Egg Move 2
    Pokemon B is in Pokemon A's group and knows Egg Move 1
    Pokemon C is in Pokemon A's group (and presumably B's as well) and knows Egg Move 2

So I have already got Pokemon A to learn Egg Move 1, but will it retain it when I breed with Pokemon C to learn Egg Move 2, or should I breed Pokemon B and C so both Egg moves are on the same pokemon?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Only MALE Pokes can pass on Egg moves. Since Pokemon A will obviously be a female that knows Egg Move 1, it will be lost through breeding and the baby Pokemon A will only get the Egg Move 2 it gets from the MALE Pokemon C.

As I stated before, if you want a Pokemon to have multiple Egg moves, either one Poke has to know both or you have to chain them together, in the example I provided for you above.

ChrisG14

I'm back baby!
    Years
    Ok, I was playing my Emerald, training my Cacturn. I was facing Gentleman Walter in a Match Call rematch. I beat his Linoone with ease, but then the game said : ??? sent out Bad Egg! The Bad Egg was asleep or poisioned or both. Now I know what bad egg is, so I turned off my game but I still had my save.

Now, since I know what Bad Egg is, I know that you can only get it if you use GameShark or Action Replay and other cheat devices. I have never cheated on a Pokemon game in my life, not even in Rom or Rom hacks. So how did I see this egg?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back