• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sleep Paralysis?

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    What about those guys who dream while going out, or doing things while they are awake but still dreaming?
    So i know people do move when dreaming except those who do the silent dreams.

chef30

Great Scott!!!
    Years
  • I know that we all can move in our or at least i can in my dreams, because every morning I wake up, all my covers and blankits r on the floor. And once i think i was asleep or at least half asleep, and i was trying to use my hands to open my eyes and i kept dreaming. That was WEIRD, but i guess kinda cool. Ooh i have the perfect idea for a forum! Thanks kierongames! :D

MeerFall

Strong, Competitive, Cool!
    Years
  • I find that i curl up into a caterpie (sorry caterpiller :S) and start sleeping, but i move a lot! although i feel like i can't move i would if light gets in my eyes or a sound is being made.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    Dreams occur during almost all stages of sleep: 2, 3, 4, and REM. Most vivid dreams occur during REM--Rapid Eye Movement--which is the time when the muscles are paralyzed. However, in 2, 3, and 4 the muscles are not paralyzed, so it is possible for a very limited extent to move one's muscles during sleep (hence tossing and turning).

Gero50

闇の下呂
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    It all has to be with the stages of sleep. When you're dreaming your in RAM sleep. When your body wakes from this sage quickly it is like skipping a stage or moving through the stages of sleep very quickly. So when you open your eyes your boday may not be fully awake yet so to speak. As for me in particular. I have fallen asleep on my side and after a dream I woke up on my back or even on the floor once. Though it is more of a responsive thing when it comes to your brain interacting with your body.

Sorry if this was a little long.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • You enter a stage called "sleep paralysis" when you fall asleep each night. Basically it helps keep your body still so it doesn't try to replicate what your "dream self" is doing, throughout the night. Some people wake up and still feel that temporary paralysis and are freaked out.

Otherwise, in your dream, there should be no reason you are unable to move outside of mental/subconcious issues.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • Sleep Paralysis happens to me at least once a week. At first it was scary, I thought it was an asthma attack in the middle of sleeping, but I educated myself and found out that sleep paralysis is a real problem... and I wasn't having an asthma attack. There are wasy to get yourself out of it. If you fight the paralysis, your body freezes up even more. If you calm yourself and move a finger or a toe, you'll eventually cause yourself to fall asleep once more and then be able to exit the sleep paralysis.

Like everyone else has said countless times, you don't move when you're dreaming. Your body paralyzes itself so that you won't act out your dream. The only people immune to this are sleep walkers and sleep talkers. But the paralysis is a way for your body to defend itself. What if you had a dream that you were running? Sleep walkers need to be careful. My mother was a sleep walker in her younger years, and almost drowned at the age of 12 because of it.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • I used to sleep walk, kinda minor.

I knew that when we sleep we stop ourselves from acting out our dreams by paralyzing our bodies, but then I wondered why I always wake up in the kitchen.

There's also REM [Rapid Eye Movement] but I won't go into details.

I also remember one time I was having a bad dream, and I forced myself out of it.
    I just tried to open my eyes. Of course, they were open in the dream, so it was like forcing my eyelids to open wider, and I eventually woke up.

Pretty cool, really.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • Wow... how could you drown with sleepwalking?
    When I was like 7, my younger brother actually got out of bed and started talking gibberish to me. Something about seeing the light... I can't remember it very clearly, but the essence remains.

She was spending the week with her aunt, and they have this giant pool in the backyard. The door wasn't locked, and my mother managed to open the door and was about to walk into the deep end of the pool before her uncle tackled her to the ground.

Awesome.

Gotta go fast!!!
    Years
  • I find this information false(for me at least).
    I know for a fact I can move in my sleep because:

1. I fall asleep that night and when I wake up in the morning, I wake up on the opposite side.
    2. I have ran (yes ran) down stairs into my kitchen while sleeping(Sleep-running?)
    3. I have stood on top of my bed and broke my lightbulb.

All of those three things occurred while I was sleeping.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    That might be true but I have a feeling it's not. When I was younger, I once woke up with my head where my feet where and vice versa when I had gone to sleep. And I'm pretty sure no one came in and deliberately turned be around lol..

I dunno, cause like it's been mentioned before, you can wake up and still be paralyzed for a few minutes, but I don't think it's as black and white as "when you sleep, you don't move." There are many grey areas which cause sleep walking and talking, and other types of movement.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • Wow... how could you drown with sleepwalking?

I saw a documentry once on people who have committed murders in their sleep. Pretty scary o.o

It always seems to be in dreams when I feel I have to run away from something that I feel the paralysis most o.o It's scary not being able to move and then the instinct to move wakes me up?

In my boarding school dorm the handle is a push-down handle whereas the ones in my house are twisty. I was home one weekend and I was dreaming I was still in the boarding house so I kept trying to push down my bedroom handle and getting increasingly frustrated xD
    I've also gotten up in my sleep, feeling some urgent need to turn on the dorm light. That was a strange night xD

Back