• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Smogon

Years
    I own the site www.smogon.com

Since people complain for giving suggestions to other people, here's your chance to comment on my site. If I don't accept a change I will reply back with a reason why. (You'd be better off not reporting bugs from the Pokedex, we know about the small majority of them and they've already been fixed for the next dex release)

Layout done by me, graphics done by me or aragornbird (a beta tester for deviantart)
    Pages made in a CMS I custom wrote that caches the layout to static HTML. The majority of the website doesn't use PHP includes.
    The dex is also apart of the CMS, except the CMS caches all MySQL databases to PHP arrays so it doesn't have to query. You can change the display of the dex in www.smogon.com/preferences.

The forum is vBulletin, with some template changes and mods by me. I'd write my own, but the folks at vB did a really good job and I don't have the time to make something as good.

Smogon
    :)

Last edited:

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
    Not bad, though what actually is the basis for your site?

Though the articles seem pretty indepth... Though, I don't get why you would say you had a vB :3 everyone does nowadays* (though they are usually nulled XD)

I give it a ... 8.5/10 congrats

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
    I give it an 8/10, all the information is great, and it looks like you worked really hard on it. It would be a 9/10 but I don't like your layout.

Years
    Revo said:
    Not bad, though what actually is the basis for your site?

Though the articles seem pretty indepth... Though, I don't get why you would say you had a vB :3 everyone does nowadays* (though they are usually nulled XD)

I give it a ... 8.5/10 congrats

It's a site that talks indepth about Pokemon strategy. If you look through the dex, there are articles for using every evolved Pokemon. Although since you didn't seem to know that, it must mean it's hard to find the strategy articles for individual Pokemon. There's quite alot of content on the site and especially forums where there are tons of articles we haven't had time to put up yet. Since I guess you didn't find it, I will assume you either 1)looked at the site for less than a second or 2) had a hard time finding the content. I'm going to assume it's #2 for my own sake and see if I can figure out a better way of navigating. There is too much content to have a huge nav bar linking to everything on the site from the left.

Another basis of the site is we help develop an online Pokemon simulator called NetBattle.

Can you tell me what lost points?

I give it an 8/10, all the information is great, and it looks like you worked really hard on it. It would be a 9/10 but I don't like your layout.

Can you explain why you don't like the layout? Doesn't help anyone just to say you don't like it and not give reasons why.

Last edited:

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
    Actually, you got the highest score I have given out in a looooong time. My usual grades are 3/10 or below...

I never give a site a 10/10 because not anyone is perfect, and the navigation is dreadful... However, I viewed around for a few minutes :3 not a couple seconds...

I reccomend redesigner the layout where you can have a drop down of all content, or something that makes it easier to find what your looking for.

Perhaps a built in search tool? With a site of your vast amount of articles and content you need to make an effort to help the visitors get to where they have to go.

Though, I personally do like the layout.

Years
    Revo said:
    Actually, you got the highest score I have given out in a looooong time. My usual grades are 3/10 or below...

I never give a site a 10/10 because not anyone is perfect, and the navigation is dreadful... However, I viewed around for a few minutes :3 not a couple seconds...

I reccomend redesigner the layout where you can have a drop down of all content, or something that makes it easier to find what your looking for.

Perhaps a built in search tool? With a site of your vast amount of articles and content you need to make an effort to help the visitors get to where they have to go.

Though, I personally do like the layout.

What is so dreadful about the navigation? You click a section, and are taken to links concerning the section. Considering most viewers of the site are looking for strategy in a specific era of Pokemon, I find it intuitive. A drop down Javascript menu could be added, but all it would do is maybe save one click. Nevertheless, i'll see what I can do about it.

As for a search tool, theres a basic one for the dex but it could use some reworking. Kind of low on the priority list for now :(

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
    Well you must understand a vast majoral of pokemon vistors are n00bs, so when reviewing a site you need to put yourself in their shoes :3

I honestly think a global search tool would do wonders*

Myuureon

*zoom*
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 20, 2006
    And here it is....the #1 Pokemon Netbattle website on the net.And eh....This is gotta be the best website I've ever seen; although I usually visit everyday.Awesome as always Chaos.Awesome layout and great amount of content.I really can't find anything to crit.A solid 10/10 :P

saul

"My goodness, that's odd."
    Years
    Smogon is a great resource ^^ however, I'm not a huge fan of the layout either... I'm not sure why though =P maybe it's the color combination >.>;; but the layout isn't what's important, it's the content and I think there is some very good content here, it's a great resource especially if your working your way through the Pokemon RPG's. Keep up The Good Work =D

(btw, I agree with Revo on the global search)

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    personally i think the site is a great improvement over the last time i saw it.. (about 2 yrs ago :\) the layout design is clean and very functional, data is laid out in an organized manner, nice colors, not too graphicly overpowering, etc..

perhaps adding a site map and global search, as mentioned before, will improve it even more or at least help some lazy n00bs..

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
    Can you explain why you don't like the layout? Doesn't help anyone just to say you don't like it and not give reasons why.
    Top navigational site are not pleasing to look at in my opinion. Also I don't really like the RSE style font you used for the section headers.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    Ah, I don't visit Smogon very often, but it's a wonderful resource.

I don't like the blue basic link color, just a personal thing. I think a purple would look better, as it would go more with the top of the layout, bringing it together.

I dislike the banner up-top, as I don't personally like when people cut off parts of a picture. It just looks extremely weird to me.

"ADV" doesn't make me think of the latest gen, so that confused me a bit the first time I went.

You put Pokémon and Pokemon - that looks weird. Try to keep one or the other.

The default Pokemon list is REALLY long, and takes forever to load. Think you could do something about that?

Forum default template could be tied better into the overall site layout.

A global search would be nice, as the others have said.

Really nice otherwise. Smogon defiantly is one of the best resources, even if I don't use it myself :P

Years
    Koroku said:
    Ah, I don't visit Smogon very often, but it's a wonderful resource.

I don't like the blue basic link color, just a personal thing. I think a purple would look better, as it would go more with the top of the layout, bringing it together.

being considered

I dislike the banner up-top, as I don't personally like when people cut off parts of a picture. It just looks extremely weird to me.

the banner has been changed, dunno if you will like it better. i do. (thanks razzy)

"ADV" doesn't make me think of the latest gen, so that confused me a bit the first time I went.

understandable, thats why I put the links on the main page as well with more detailed.. names

You put Pokémon and Pokemon - that looks weird. Try to keep one or the other.

i'm pretty sure i use pokémon everywhere in the site besides the url for viewing pokemon, which i will not change to have an accent.

The default Pokemon list is REALLY long, and takes forever to load. Think you could do something about that?

told you this over aim, you can change your dex prefs ;/

Forum default template could be tied better into the overall site layout.

on the giant to do list

A global search would be nice, as the others have said.

read last message lol

Really nice otherwise. Smogon defiantly is one of the best resources, even if I don't use it myself :P

thanks for the kind words people :)

aRedMoon

Years
    he banner has been changed, dunno if you will like it better. i do. (thanks razzy)
    Looks nice. He did a fine job. ^_^

'm pretty sure i use pokémon everywhere in the site besides the url for viewing pokemon, which i will not change to have an accent.
    I saw it a few times I think... the non-accented version is on all the "main" pages after you click the RBY/GSC/ADV/DP tabs. Unless that's the part you said you didn't plan on changing.

Razzy

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2006
    Koroku said:
    Looks nice. He did a fine job. ^_^

Thanks. I never thought I'd see the day where JK actually gave me positive feedback! Im quite suprised.

Chaos, I love it. 10/10 perfection comes in many forms, and this is definetly one of them.

aRedMoon

Years
    Razzy said:
    Thanks. I never thought I'd see the day where JK actually gave me positive feedback! Im quite suprised.
    I gave you positive feedback when you first put up PokeDaily :P

Then your style got repetitive, which got boring.

However, this is the first time I've seen you using the "Smogon" font and it looks really good.

Razzy

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2006
    Koroku said:
    I gave you positive feedback when you first put up PokeDaily :P

Then your style got repetitive, which got boring.

However, this is the first time I've seen you using the "Smogon" font and it looks really good.

Touch? ;)
    And I agree.. it's hard to diversify your style when your constantly doing projects non stop, i need time to get inspired again! ... and thanks.

Back