• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Smokey Papy's Artsy Fartsies

SmokedPaprika

Basically Garbage
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 2, 2019
Yo. I'm a special penguin: Smoked Paprika (or "Biscuit"), and I do what penguins do best. That is to say: f art.

Like a great, arting penguin usually is - I'm vanity incarnate, and I like to show off both the terrible and less terrible pieces I create on a daily basis. Unfortunately, I'm not that impressive at what I do, but my works will, hopefully, seem a little bit coherent. I love looking around and seeing what you guys are coming up with, so I figured I'd show off some of the stuff I've been making recently so that people can rightly tell me: "yo, dude, you're not much better than me, so please don't critique my stuff okay!!!!!!"

I'm afraid I'm not good at prettying text up, so you're going to be left with lovably hate-able Comic Sans. Hey, it's been popular recently - at least, the comic, Sans has.

Definitely don't hold back; I love improving my art a lot better than I love hearing about how potentially good my art is - for me, good is never good enough ;).

Without any further ado, here are my arts, loud and clear:

Character Concept/Sketches:
Spoiler:

Class Artwork:
Spoiler:

So, as I said before, feel free to critique and destroy my works. I love learning new things about art, and criticism gets right to the heart of it all.

Thanks a bunch for your interest!

~Biscuit.

Purist of Black Water

[b]The way we were...[/b]
Years
I like your drawings.
I don't find them to be bad at all.

I'd like to see some in colour, if you don't mind?
see where your colour spectrum skills are at.

I especially like (would be proud).

true story... can't do black and grey/white art to save my life lol

Years
What type of art class are you doing work for? I can see they have you working with white chalk and conte as well, so I'm curious as to what they've said in terms of you blending and shading ability with the graphite or charcoal.

Black and white works are a great place to start, and I'm interested in what specific materials you are using. There are some techniques I might be able to help with the...well technical quality of the work.

SmokedPaprika

Basically Garbage
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 2, 2019
I'd like to see some in colour, if you don't mind?
see where your colour spectrum skills are at.

I actually do digital quite a bit - there aren't many of those I'd be comfortable showing on this website, though. That said, I did my avatar from scratch, for a quick example as to how I do when I half-bake digital artwork.

What type of art class are you doing work for? I can see they have you working with white chalk and conte as well, so I'm curious as to what they've said in terms of you blending and shading ability with the graphite or charcoal.

Just plain 'ol Drawing I. We use pencils (occasionally), bamboo brush/ink (rarely), conte crayons (black, sanguine, white), magic marker, and a whole lot of charcoal (vine charcoal, charcoal stick, charcoal pencils, etc etc). We often use a chamois with the charcoal art - and though it wasn't explicitly stated in class to do so, I use masking tape for hard black areas, as to avoid powder getting all over the place.

As far as statements go, Sensei seems to appreciate my sense of composition and my eye for detail (along with my personality????) most off. She likes my ideas, but not as often the execution. She hasn't specifically pointed out or complimented my shading and value techniques (well, she did like the range in one poor drawing I did), and most often criticizes me on anatomy, form, and proportion.

Black and white works are a great place to start, and I'm interested in what specific materials you are using. There are some techniques I might be able to help with the...well technical quality of the work.

I've actually been drawing (read: poorly sketching) for years now, but class introduced me to charcoal and different, new exciting mediums as of late. I hated charcoal at first, but it's starting to grow on me. Well, it was already growing on my hands and face before, but it's metaphysically doing so as well now. I usually sketch, sometimes go digital. I like charcoal, and sketching, and Stipling, and all that fine jazz, but I'm mostly planning on doing pixel art over the next couple of years for an overarching project of mine.

Everything said, thanks for your interest in my art - I appreciate it!

Also, a Kenya fan, huh? Interesting - the character never struck me as all that noteworthy, but I suppose different people connect to different characters in different ways.

SmokedPaprika

Basically Garbage
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 2, 2019
Well, thanks, guys. I appreciate that, but I need to get a lot better than I already am, so I plan to keep improving (and hopefully help others improve) as much as I can while I'm here.

Thanks for the support!

CDB

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Haha your artwork's great! You have a wide range of stuff and it seems like you aren't afraid to try drawing new things :) Nothing's better than practice & experimentation when it comes to improving your art!

Here are a few tips when it comes to drawing people :) Using your child as an example:
I5qLeIF.png

Hair has a flow&direction, and right now the child seems to have spikes coming from all different directions - I took some creative license and gave him mid-length hair, but the same concept applies to all hair lengths! haha
Also I get that the pointy chins is an anime-thing so this is just my preference but no one actually has a spiky triangular chin :p

SmokedPaprika

Basically Garbage
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 2, 2019
Here are a few tips when it comes to drawing people :) Using your child as an example:
I5qLeIF.png

Hair has a flow&direction, and right now the child seems to have spikes coming from all different directions - I took some creative license and gave him mid-length hair, but the same concept applies to all hair lengths! haha
Also I get that the pointy chins is an anime-thing so this is just my preference but no one actually has a spiky triangular chin :p

Hah, you got me where I'm weakest -- humans! Like in most art forms, if you execute a certain piece without understanding the components within the piece, it'll just come out awkward. I should really read more and watch more videos about how people work. I really appreciate that you even drew an example to describe the process of the basic head and hair shapes. It's no secret that I have a long way to go in regards to balance and head shape. Also, thanks for reminding me that I've got to be careful with neck size and placement.

...But the pointy chin's gonna stay ;).

Years
  • Age 30
  • Usa
  • Seen Aug 28, 2016
Yo. I'm a special penguin: Smoked Paprika (or "Biscuit"), and I do what penguins do best. That is to say: f art.

Like a great, arting penguin usually is - I'm vanity incarnate, and I like to show off both the terrible and less terrible pieces I create on a daily basis. Unfortunately, I'm not that impressive at what I do, but my works will, hopefully, seem a little bit coherent. I love looking around and seeing what you guys are coming up with, so I figured I'd show off some of the stuff I've been making recently so that people can rightly tell me: "yo, dude, you're not much better than me, so please don't critique my stuff okay!!!!!!"

I'm afraid I'm not good at prettying text up, so you're going to be left with lovably hate-able Comic Sans. Hey, it's been popular recently - at least, the comic, Sans has.

Definitely don't hold back; I love improving my art a lot better than I love hearing about how potentially good my art is - for me, good is never good enough ;).

Without any further ado, here are my arts, loud and clear:

Character Concept/Sketches:
Spoiler:

Class Artwork:
Spoiler:

So, as I said before, feel free to critique and destroy my works. I love learning new things about art, and criticism gets right to the heart of it all.

Thanks a bunch for your interest!

~Biscuit.

Looks cool:3

Back