• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen "Smugleaf" as Tsutaaja's English name [ #4 ]

Your thoughts on the name "Smugleaf"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • I would like it. For the lols, of course, but I also do think it's a rather cool name. It rolls off the tongue.

Besides, if it isn't named Smugleaf (and it won't, unfortunately), I'll nickname my Tsutaja that anyway.

Years
  • Ugh, this name is so poorly made... It looks smug, and has a leaf on its tail. ALL THEY DID WAS COMBINE THE TWO WORDS! (inb4almosteverypokemon'snameisjusttwowordsputtogether...)

But seriously, it's such an ugly name, IMO. If it IS the English name (lol, definitely not gonna happen) then Nintendo (Game Freak?) was definitely searching up web memes. T_T

Years
  • Nooooo thank you. Even though mine shall be named Bullet (And he shall be Epicyness) instead of using the actual name, if they chose this, I would seriously drop my opinions of Gamefreak name-wise.

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    As much as I hate the name Smugleaf for Tsutarja, my friend came up with one for Pokabu that is far worse: Piggyboo.

I dont know about you guys, but because of these horrible fan names I'm kinda terrified of seeing what the English names will be. I'm praying that they keep the Japanese names.....

Thank god we can nickname our Pokemon!

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    It makes no difference to me. I've never been upset over the choice of name for a pokémon. But then again this is the first time I have been deeply disappointed with many of the pokémon designs featured in this generation, so there is a possible chance they could use a lackluster name such as "Smugleaf" to name Tsutarja.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I don't like it for the actual name. It feels like doing so would be stepping on the meme-appreciating communities' collective toes, in addition to being uncharacteristic of Nintendo. Smugleaf is almost dead for me anyways. Ever since the evolutions were revealed, it just... sorta died.

I miss the overuse of Smugleaf more than I would miss Over 9000 or What Is This I Don't Even.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I would still name it Taaja because I dislike the name Smugleaf. Now, if Seed bby were to be Churine's name, I would not mind at all!

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    I hate the name, mostly because it makes no reference to the fact that Tsutaja is a snake, which I consider much more of a defining characteristic than whatever "smugness" he may have.

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Just watch. Nintendo is going to come up with some ridiculously stupid name as always and you're going to wish it was named Smugleaf.

In any case, I couldn't care less what its name turns out to be. It's not going to make me like Tsutaaja any more or less, though I actually don't find the name to be as unfitting as everyone else seems to think. I perfectly understand how it can be seen as "smug", more so than Tentacool is cool, or Bidoof is, well, a doof.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Yeah, NO. I would be fairly disappointed if any BW English name was like Smugleaf... Too basic words. Besides, Nuzleaf and Leafeon have leaf. Come up with some other grass word, doods. :(

DragonsFire128

Triforce Wielder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2011
    I hate the name, mostly because it makes no reference to the fact that Tsutaja is a snake, which I consider much more of a defining characteristic than whatever "smugness" he may have.

OBJECTION!! Chikorita is not a chick. The name "Piplup" does not say "Penguin" to me. And "Mudkip" just sounds like it enjoys playing in mud. Not all starters' names reference a defining characteristic, and they don't have to. I think you should base your opinion of pokemons' names on whether or not they sound cool. Besides, if you don't like the name then you can nickname your pokemon. So you can call your Tsutarja "Serpentus" or something if you choose. That's probably why that option was added. That's what I do when I don't like pokemon names. For example, I don't like the name "Marowak" so I named my Marowak "Bones." I know it seems unoriginal but I like it. On top of all of this, Tsutarja evolves into it's second form at level 16 so you probably won't have to live with "Smugleaf" for too long.

As for my opinion of the name it sounds cool and fitting for a first form starter. I'll be happy with almost any name they decide to give Tsutarja, and even if I don't like the name he gets, it will only have that name for 11 levels before he evolves and I can always change his name.

PS Sorry this post is so long. I just wanted to explain a point. No hard feelings Cyberglass. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to be mean and if it does sorry.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Chikorita is a chicory and Mudkip is a mudskipper. Although I do agree, what matters is whether or not it sounds good. And I don't like Smugleaf.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I never actually stated my opinion on this. Pretty much no. If it's Smugleaf, I'll be really disappointed because... it's pretty much impossible and the worst name choice out of all the Tsutaaja nicknames. Whenever people say "Smuggy", I just cringe. :(

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I would be annoyed if Smugleaf became Tsutarja's English name. I never really liked that name anyway, and it is now way too over used. And it reminds me of Nuzleaf, whom I hate. I hope they come up with a more creative name.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back