• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Snakes?

Years
    My fear for snakes turned into passion a few years ago when I saved a baby northern water snake from a pond at my aunt's house that was being filled in. He was so small and docile and loved my warmth when I held him. Unfortunately, as it turns out, he was premature. After a weekend trip to the Boston Aquarium, I got home to find a dead baby snake. After he died, my aunt admitted that she had hit a rather large one with her mowing tractor, and since northern water snakes bear live babies, the premature babies were "born". I realized he was too small to have been born at the right time once I looked up their mating/birthing seasons, and that was probably a big reason as to why he died. His name was Niku, and this is a picture of the little guy.
    Snakes?

I was heartbroken when Niku died. So much so, that my parents actually agreed to let me purchase a actual pet snake, as long as I paid for the snake and its necessities myself. Once I had the money, I looked at our local sales website, and found baby corn snakes that I could afford. We took the 45 minute drive, got to the place, and I had to choose between 4 babies; two snows (one only had one eye, the poor thing. I almost got that one out of sympathy) and two amels. I ended up choosing a "female" (so she said) amel, and named "her" Moeru. This is a picture of "her" right when we got home:
    Snakes?

Once "she" was 2 years old, "she" had gained a lot of color and became very vibrant. I sent a photo of "her" to a national corn snake expert, and he informed me that my snake was a male. (We took him to get probed to be certain, and sure enough, he's a boy) Here's the most recent photo I have of him:
    Snakes?

He's my baby, I love him more than I thought I could love anything. I don't know what I'd do without him. He's turning 3 in July.
    After awhile, my mom agreed that I could get another snake. I again went to the local sales website, and came across a breeder that seemed very reliable. We drove 40 minutes to get to her house, and purchased this little girl snow, who I named Songo:
    https://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p311/Kite_Katsumi/Snakes/1410987.jpg
    We knew something was wrong 2 weeks after we got her, and she still refused to eat. We contacted the breeder, who was also a vet tech, and she said to bring her back. She gave us a replacement snake while she tried to nurse Songo back to health. This new snake was a male anery named Mozart.
    Snakes?

A few days after we brought Songo back to the breeder, we got the email. Songo had passed away. She said it was due to a highly contagious respitory infection, which had apparently spread throughout her stock without her knowing. This, of course, meant Mozart also had one. He didn't eat either. The breeder wouldn't contact us when we tried to contact her to let her know that he was also sick. We were about to make an appointment with an exotic species vet, but Mozart died before we could.
    Awhile after that, we decided to try once more. We purchased a ball python from Petco (first mistake) and I named her Umbreon.
    Snakes?

She was skinny when we got her. We were in -constant- contact with our vet, because we knew she was sick once we got her home and could get our hands on her (I'm under 18, so I couldn't touch her in the store. Petco's policy. We called Petco and they insisted that their vet said she was perfectly fine a week prior, which was obviously not true. A snake doesn't get into her condition in a week). He told us to try many, many things to nurse her back to health, and we even bought Flukers Emergency Repto Aid for her, but she too passed away despite everything we tried.
    After that, we decided to stick with Moeru and not to get any more snakes.
    A few years later, we got a call from a friend of a friend. She said her daughter "outgrew" her two corn snakes, an amel and a snow, both males. We agreed to take them in. Once we got them, we realized that were grossly underfed and less than half the size that they should've been at their age. However, they're both still alive and eating/shedding very well. :3 They're gaining weight and growing pretty fast, all it took was a proper feeding schedule. However, Zuko became very aggressive less than a week after we got him. He's only handled at feeding time to transfer him into the feeding container to minimize stress.
    Snakes?

Zuko is the amel, Sokka is the snow.

Anyone else own snakes? :D I'd love to see pictures and hear stories about other people's snakes. ^^

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
    I don't actually own snakes, but I've always kind of wanted to. However, after years and years of spending time with guinea pigs, mice, and rats, I think it would be fairly hard for me to feed mice to a snake. I know it's stupid, but I can't help it *shrugs* Anyway, that never stopped me from being interested in snakes. After studying the matter for some time, I found a pet snake species that's so small it can't even eat something as big as a mouse. They only eat grasshoppers! I was thrilled, because those snakes are really cute, too. I can't remember the name of the species, though.

However, it turns out those snakes aren't sold in my country and it would be immensily expensive to buy one. You know, I'm not that thrilled about snakes, so I'll just forget the whole thing for now. (Also, my fiancé is afraid of snakes *giggle* Isn't it cute, a girl who likes snakes and a boy who can't stand them?) I'll settle with my cat.

Anyhow, I think your story was really interesting. I knew snakes are hard to keep as pets, but judging by what you're telling, most of them are fatally ill and the buyer gets ripped off. Anyway, this was really interesting. I'd like to see more pictures of them ^-^ Thanks for telling that whole story!

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    I have a cat, and I'm happy with him. Snakes are really cool pets, and I absolutely love them. Every time one of those snake handlers came to our school, I always wanted to have a snake around my neck. Snakes are much gentler than cats at any rate, I believe.

Years
    I don't actually own snakes, but I've always kind of wanted to. However, after years and years of spending time with guinea pigs, mice, and rats, I think it would be fairly hard for me to feed mice to a snake. I know it's stupid, but I can't help it *shrugs* Anyway, that never stopped me from being interested in snakes. After studying the matter for some time, I found a pet snake species that's so small it can't even eat something as big as a mouse. They only eat grasshoppers! I was thrilled, because those snakes are really cute, too. I can't remember the name of the species, though.

However, it turns out those snakes aren't sold in my country and it would be immensily expensive to buy one. You know, I'm not that thrilled about snakes, so I'll just forget the whole thing for now. (Also, my fiancé is afraid of snakes *giggle* Isn't it cute, a girl who likes snakes and a boy who can't stand them?) I'll settle with my cat.

Anyhow, I think your story was really interesting. I knew snakes are hard to keep as pets, but judging by what you're telling, most of them are fatally ill and the buyer gets ripped off. Anyway, this was really interesting. I'd like to see more pictures of them ^-^ Thanks for telling that whole story!

Was the species a green grass snake? I know off the top of my head that they only eat crickets/grasshoppers and such. They're gorgeous little snakes :3
    Haha XD It'd be very hard for me to live with someone who's afraid of snakes. :P I'm not giving up my babies for anyone.
    I'm not sure if that's the case with most snake purchases, but just my bad luck. Petco refused to give us a refund when Umbreon died, insisting that she was perfectly healthy (despite what our vet said) and we just said screw it. We didn't want to have to argue about it with such stubborn people. x.x;
    I have more pictures on Photobucket, go to this album: https://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p311/Kite_Katsumi/Snakes/
    No problem ^^ I'm glad someone took the time to read it.

I have a cat, and I'm happy with him. Snakes are really cool pets, and I absolutely love them. Every time one of those snake handlers came to our school, I always wanted to have a snake around my neck. Snakes are much gentler than cats at any rate, I believe.

I've only ever been hurt by a snake once, when Zuko became aggressive and bit me (6 nice little holes in my hand XD). But jeez, cats are like..bi polar. You're petting them, they're purring, everyone's happy...then next thing you know, they're clawing/biting into your arm. XD

Last edited:

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    I'm sad, we hardly ever have snakes in upstate NY, well where I am anyway. A measly garden snake that's extremely shy once in awhile, but other than that nothing. =[ Snakes are pretty cool, I've actually never felt one before. XD Well, carried/picked one up anyway.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
    Aww, my cat is just totally un-catlike. I think he believes he's a dog or something. He comes to my lap, he never bites nor scratches anything but our sofa and his dad, he purrs all the freaking time, and every time I come home, he comes to greet me xD I guess he really doesn't know he's a cat...

But we don't have any snakes on our yard, because we live in the middle of the city :( Also, my grandparents' summer house is in a place that doesn't have any snakes. I never get to be close to snakes! There are, however, cute small lizards around that summer house, and I like watching them sunbathe. When I was smaller, I used to catch them and hold them in my hands. Of course, they didn't like it at all. Oh, how cool it would be to own a snake! I've always wondered how everyone thinks they're mean and slimy, when they're neither. Where does that image come from?

Years
    I'm sad, we hardly ever have snakes in upstate NY, well where I am anyway. A measly garden snake that's extremely shy once in awhile, but other than that nothing. =[ Snakes are pretty cool, I've actually never felt one before. XD Well, carried/picked one up anyway.

Oh, they're so smooth <3 They aren't slimy like some people think. They're dry, unless you soak them in water before you hold them. Their belly scales are especially smooth, but you have to be careful to pet in the direction they're going. :3

Aww, my cat is just totally un-catlike. I think he believes he's a dog or something. He comes to my lap, he never bites nor scratches anything but our sofa and his dad, he purrs all the freaking time, and every time I come home, he comes to greet me xD I guess he really doesn't know he's a cat...

But we don't have any snakes on our yard, because we live in the middle of the city :( Also, my grandparents' summer house is in a place that doesn't have any snakes. I never get to be close to snakes! There are, however, cute small lizards around that summer house, and I like watching them sunbathe. When I was smaller, I used to catch them and hold them in my hands. Of course, they didn't like it at all. Oh, how cool it would be to own a snake! I've always wondered how everyone thinks they're mean and slimy, when they're neither. Where does that image come from?

Haha XD He sounds like a cute cat.
    Certain species of snakes are aggressive by nature. I don't know why people think they're slimy, but the person who dubbed snakes as mean probably chased a wild one down and cornered it, trying to pick it up.

Last edited:

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    Oh, they're so smooth <3 They aren't slimy like some people think. They're dry, unless you soak them in water before you hold them. Their belly scales are especially smooth, but you have to be careful to pet in the direction they're going. :3

That makes sense, same as most mammals with their fur. They don't like it ruffled. XD I'm sure they're quite nice, snakes are pretty cool. I like reptiles and amphibians a lot, I have a red slider turtle that I take out to play in warmer weathers. He's fun, giant claws though. XD He likes his detailed tank and warm spotlight.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    Unfortunately we don't really get many snakes where I live, or at least I rarely see them. I saw one inside a sewage drain once, and was completely surprised because that was the first time I had actually seen a wild snake.

However, despite snakes being as cool as they are, I don't really think I'd want one for a pet. I'm not really a pet person. :/

Years
    That makes sense, same as most mammals with their fur. They don't like it ruffled. XD I'm sure they're quite nice, snakes are pretty cool. I like reptiles and amphibians a lot, I have a red slider turtle that I take out to play in warmer weathers. He's fun, giant claws though. XD He likes his detailed tank and warm spotlight.

Yeah XD It'd also be a problem if a belly scale got ripped off.
    I have two eastern painted turtles. They're pretty cool. They like food. XD

Unfortunately we don't really get many snakes where I live, or at least I rarely see them. I saw one inside a sewage drain once, and was completely surprised because that was the first time I had actually seen a wild snake.

However, despite snakes being as cool as they are, I don't really think I'd want one for a pet. I'm not really a pet person. :/

We see them all the time out in the yard :3
    I've always had lots of pets, we have over 50 currently (farm + unofficial rescue). I've never gone without pets.

Spaekle Oddberry

this is why i'm hot
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    Agh, I love snakes. Along with all other reptiles and amphibians (herpetologyyy!) I'd love to have either a snake or a frog as a pet, but they freak out my mom and whatnot. Maybe when I move out. Snakes look so awesome and feel so nice and smooth. :] Yours all look really cool.

Years
    Agh, I love snakes. Along with all other reptiles and amphibians (herpetologyyy!) I'd love to have either a snake or a frog as a pet, but they freak out my mom and whatnot. Maybe when I move out. Snakes look so awesome and feel so nice and smooth. :] Yours all look really cool.

My mom was initially afraid of snakes too, but now she loves Moeru ^^
    Thank you! ^^

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
    They're all so cute! I absolutely adore snakes. I have on myself, a rainbow boa that is a girl but I was told was a boy. Therefore I named 'him' Bob, but when I found out he was actually a she, it became Bobbett. ^_^ I got her when I was in fifth grade, about two weeks before summer... So I've had her for seven and a half years. WHen I had her she was three feet and is now a little over five.

Years
    They're all so cute! I absolutely adore snakes. I have on myself, a rainbow boa that is a girl but I was told was a boy. Therefore I named 'him' Bob, but when I found out he was actually a she, it became Bobbett. ^_^ I got her when I was in fifth grade, about two weeks before summer... So I've had her for seven and a half years. WHen I had her she was three feet and is now a little over five.

Thanks ^^
    Awwwww! A rainbow boa! Do you have any pictures of her?! :D

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I don't have any snakes, and if I did want to get one, I probably wouldn't be allowed to [I have four cats and a dog]

They look really cool, but it had to be sad when the one that you saved died :(

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
    I do, but I don't know how to put pictures on the internet right now, and I'm on my lap top so maybe I'll post soe later. I haven't really taken pictures of her in over two years. Last time I did it she was behind a glass with my cat on the other side going crazy. The little fluff ball would strike at Bob's head, with barely an inch of glass between, and Bob just stood her ground, looking bored.

Back