• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So... Are the Pokemon Movies canon or not? (Anime/Movie spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I personally think that all the main Movies are canon, but many people think that they are not so I must ask this question. and the question is are the Movies canon or not? Discuss.

Typhoon XV

Servant of Khaine
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2014
    Well they don't really interfear with the anime, so you could say they're canon.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I'll put it this way:

Ash & the others have made numerous references to the movies (like in the Lugia arc back in Master Quest), the opening makes reference to it, and even the movies reference to themselves (I particularly enjoy the newest tie-in, in the end credits of Lucario & the Mystery of Mew), so as far as if they tie in to the main anime, YES they do.

The S

The Reverend
    Years
    I believe they do, based on all of the evidence... and strange too, because movies are rarely canon to the anime they're based on - in fact, I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head (then again, I just started work and haven't had my first cup o' java yet).

Oh, and don't forget that Mewtwo's escape from Sakaki's lab lead into the first movie.

Years
    With the exception of the first movie, the line has been clear: the movie allusions are dub-only, as the movies would be connected the main series and frankly, in some cases, it shouldn't be. Big example being the Celebi movie and the fact we were at the Ilex Forest before ("A Farfetch'd Tale" - early Johto), so surely Ash and crew would remember that. You could point out Suicune's prior appearance in "Don't Touch That 'dile" but that was more dramatic irony as Suicune was obscured in shadow to the trio. Of course, things might have changed since then -- Ash informing Morty and Eusine that he did encounter Suicune but no hint when specifically (you can go either way) and with the recent Lucario allusions, it proves the movies are connected in their own continuity but to the main series?

Not sure but the new intro is making me think possibly otherwise.

Years
    I was refering about the inserts in "Together" with Lucario and I think another character or two, but I should point, lamentably, I haven't seen the movie yet. Apologies for not clarifying. Dies.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    from dark charaxes:

"With the exception of the first movie, the line has been clear: the movie allusions are dub-only, as the movies would be connected the main series and frankly, in some cases, it shouldn't be. Big example being the Celebi movie and the fact we were at the Ilex Forest before ("A Farfetch'd Tale" - early Johto), so surely Ash and crew would remember that. You could point out Suicune's prior appearance in "Don't Touch That 'dile" but that was more dramatic irony as Suicune was obscured in shadow to the trio. Of course, things might have changed since then -- Ash informing Morty and Eusine that he did encounter Suicune but no hint when specifically (you can go either way) and with the recent Lucario allusions, it proves the movies are connected in their own continuity but to the main series?

Not sure but the new intro is making me think possibly otherwise."

Ok, look I respect your opinion. I really do, but, about the movie refereces in the pokemon anime being dub added, wasn't the Second Pokemon Movie reference in the Lugia arc both in the original and in the dub?

I also recall hearing about this episode where Ash, May, Max, Brock, and a Pokemon Ranger encountered Celebi and Ash and Brock knew what it was whileas May and Max did not (which fits perfectly since May and Max weren't in the 4th pokemon movie and it was understandable why only Ash and Brock remembered it.) and it can't be dub-added since it is a season nine episode and PUSA were the ones who (ok I might be wrong about this but...) dubbed season nine.

You could also mention the whole Articuno incident in Freeze Frame, but from what I think Wikipedia said... and that one of the members here said that the Lugia reference was both in the original and in the dub... I thought that they made a dubbing error when they dubbed Freeze Frame and made it seemed like Ash didn't remember it when all it really was was a dubbing error.

Also, I thought the forest in movie 4 and the Ilex forest were two different places. (Since If I recall correctly, in the offical pokemon world map, (not that I know japanese.) the forest in the Celebi Movie was near Olivine City and was called "Sacred Forest" or something like that.) And Suicune, well, I am pretty sure that reference in the Morty episode was for "don't touch that 'dile" (even though the Suicune was in shadow, it's sihlouette was still visible) and when Suicune arrived (at least, I think that was when the reference was made (I haven't exactly watched it.).), Ash could have remembered the sihlouette and realised that was a Suicune. though that is getting too speculative.

Years
    A) I kinda reserved judgment about the Lugia arc reference to the Orange Islands because I wasn't sure if it wasn't dub specific and since Dogasu didn't do the episode comparsion, (I rather follow those), I didn't want to speculate the issue without getting all the info, plus looking for a credible source as Wolt pointed out with Wikipedia. (They're usually right but not always)

B) As for the Articuno in Johto issue, I forgot. Plain and simple, I admit, I'm out of touch with the pre-Hoenn episodes (and I don't have Boomerang) and it didn't help that with the exception of part 3, I didn't find the mini arc too memorable anyway.

C) No, it was the Ilex Forest, since the name (Forest of Ubame/Ilex)references sync up on Dogasu's comparsion of the movie (but I do need to play my tape and I can confirm it that way, unless someone else wants to do it for me). Although, given how the anime can occasionally fudge up the geography, it does lend some fuel for your argument, i.e. the Winstrate Family being moved from the path to Fuen Town (Lavaridge Town) to Hajitsuge Town instead (Fallarbor Town), in addition to the house being in the desert in Route 111 instead of the grassy outskirts.

D) Indeed about Ash's observation skills as he's always fooled by the Rockets' flimsy disguises, so let's not go there and assume he'd connect the obscured Suicune to one he saw outright (unless he says it, of course).

E) I'll state outright I haven't seen the Celebi/Poke Ranger Special, so I won't comment on anything until I do. (I catch Pokemon on Sunday evenings, so I'm a month behind everyone else)

F) Because I can. I respect your opinion, too. And I do need to watch my season five episodes again, so thanks for the cue, I guess.

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
    Years
    Some are, some aren't.

We know that the events of the first and second movie, as well as the Mewtwo special, are eventually brought up into the TV series. That's about it.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2014
    No, of course, movies are not canon, they are.. at best-what if stories, the anime and the movie clearly does not connect, for example, in the movie spell of unknown, ash met entei and fought entei, he knew what an entei is.

YET in the episode For Ho-oH tolls, he never MENTIONS entei, after it"s nameis mentioned, he mentions suicune which he saw in the anime, the first episode or so, but Never gives mention to a Movie Encounter with an Entei, for more proof In the Anime Episode.

Entei at your own risk, ash again never mentions entei as knowing it in the movie, so again, movies are not canon at all

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Oooooh my.

PC has a rather strict rule regarding revival of old threads. Please do not post in threads that are more than thirty days old, let alone seven years. If you want to continue discussing this topic, feel free to make a new thread on the matter. I know it was discussed somewhere recently, so people certainly still have opinions on this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back