• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

so in the world of pokémon

Years
    Why would anybody work? if you had the chance to go off and become a pokémon master, why would somebody chose work? how does an economy exist in the world of pokémon? where does money come from? do people just get jobs once they get old and then become weekend warriors? is there any sort of government?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 12, 2009
    Well, I'm pretty sure that there's a government system, since there are police and such, but I don't think the government plays much of a role in the whole "Pokemon Master" thing. At least not for the games.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I kind of assume being a trainer is a sport, mostly. Sure tons of people will spend months of their lives trying to make it big as a "pro" trainer but most probably end up at a desk job. :P

I'll be blunt: if I lived in the Pokemon world it would take a LOT to make me go on a journey. I'm lazy. I don't really like being outdoors, much less camping, and I've never liked the idea of competitive battling. It's fun in the game but then once I beat the E4 I get on with collecting.

The thing about the Pokemon world is that it's supposed to be our world but with Pokemon. There are all kinds of jobs out there but society wouldn't run very well at all if everyone dropped everything and ran off on a journey. In the Pokemon World, most people are content to live where they are with Pokemon. They don't need to validate themselves with a gym challenge or travel the lands catching every single Pokemon. I assume the basic infrastructure in that world is the same as here.

Years
    and when would we all sleep? and what about the home invasion thing that the main character does? And also, the crazy Rocket/Magma/Aqua/Galactic people running around doing stuff?

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Why would anybody work?
    Basically because they need an income in the Pokémon world like we do. Also, so they can afford things to buy like items and such. Or, to be like Team Rocket, work...get money...buy mechanical robots...try to catch Pikachu...fail xD

if you had the chance to go off and become a pokémon master, why would somebody chose work?

I guess, as you are young you have that natural energy to go out and try to become a Pokémon Master, but as you get older your body becomes weaker or tiresome, so you choose something more stable and not so strenuous. I mean traveling around different regions really isn't as easy as it seems.

how does an economy exist in the world of pokémon?

An economy? I guess like here in reality they work, pay the bills, help the government gain money, and so on...They probably just don't mention it.

where does money come from?

I've heard money doesn't come from trees, but it really does...seeing as it's made from paper, and paper comes from trees. No, get money like how we do, except again, it just isn't told much about...or barely at all.

do people just get jobs once they get old and then become weekend warriors?

I guess so xD

is there any sort of government?

Seeing as there are police, and all, I would believe they do have a government.

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
    Years
    Maybe beating trainers earns you money via electronic credit system or w/e. :P

But in the games, people do have jobs. They have librarians, sailors that sail ships, transports, electricians, trust me, the trainer types do have some semblance of employment. Plus people work in centers and there are shops where people have to buy crap from. Thats another form of income. Merchandising.

how2attention2details?

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Why would anybody work? if you had the chance to go off and become a pokémon master, why would somebody chose work?
    To pay the bills. . O.o

how does an economy exist in the world of pokémon?
    If what I'm interpreting is 'there is no economy in Pokémon', then you're wrong. Let's look up the literal definition of 'economy'.

Example:
    Economy - E⋅con⋅o⋅my (n.) - "thrifty management; frugality in the expenditure or consumption of money, materials, etc."

Basically, if you spend money for materials or receive money, you have an economy. People buy things from companies such as Silph, which gives Silph money, thusly creating an economy. So there is an economy.

where does money come from?
    Same place where the money comes from in the real world - People.

do people just get jobs once they get old and then become weekend warriors?
    If Pokémon Research is considered a 'job', which it should be because that person would be like a biologist, then, no. Shigeru became a Pokémon Researcher at about the age of 12 (going by real time, since the leagues are a yearly thing).

is there any sort of government?
    Example:
    Government - Gov⋅ern⋅ment (n.) - "the political direction and control exercised over the actions of the members, citizens, or inhabitants of communities, societies, and states; direction of the affairs of a state, community, etc.; political administration"

Basically, this means that they need rules that comes from a higher-up. If there is no stealing, obviously they have rules (stealing is wrong in the Pokémon world). Big business companies seem to be the central 'government' of the Pokémon world.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I'm assuming the economy is similar to ours, with minor changes. I'm assuming the reason some people dont become Pokemon trainers maybe because they're not skilled enough, kinda like dog training. :S I'm assuming training a Pokmon is similar to training a dog, except they can breathe fire, water etc. XD

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    There is an economy in the Pokémon world. If there wasn't then such things as Schools, Markets, Companies and all would not have been involved into Pokémon.

Years
    I'm assuming the economy is similar to ours, with minor changes. I'm assuming the reason some people dont become Pokemon trainers maybe because they're not skilled enough, kinda like dog training. :S I'm assuming training a Pokmon is similar to training a dog, except they can breathe fire, water etc. XD

i really like this explanation. to me, its makes the most sense.

Years
    • FL
    • Seen May 29, 2013
    I doubt that everybody in the Pokemon world would be interested in going around a region with a few animals battling others. Actually very people in the Pokemon would want to become trainers. One could become pretty much anything that exists in the real world, a pilot, flight attendant, teacher, chef, engineer, etc.

I am sure that in the Pokemon world there are several stock exchanges for trading, and business opportunities galore.

As for the government, it could be debated whether it is a republic, direct democracy, kingdom, among others.

LugiaFreak

Years
    Well, people run businesses like the Daycare, and trainers need to pay for them to raise Pokemon there. In the games, adults sometimes mention that they didn't go on a Pokemon journey, which probably means they were doing something else with their life instead of raising Pokemon.

Also, if every 10-year old kid decided to become a Pokemon master, the world would be swarming with them, which it's not. So, most people must do something else with their time.

Years
    I doubt that everybody in the Pokemon world would be interested in going around a region with a few animals battling others. Actually very people in the Pokemon would want to become trainers. One could become pretty much anything that exists in the real world, a pilot, flight attendant, teacher, chef, engineer, etc.

I am sure that in the Pokemon world there are several stock exchanges for trading, and business opportunities galore.

As for the government, it could be debated whether it is a republic, direct democracy, kingdom, among others.

Right. In the Pokémon world, presumably being a Pokémon trainer would be just another job to them. It wouldn't seem as novel or exciting as it does to us.

zerwey

:3
    Years
    The Pokemon world probably does have a government, but they don't play a role in the games, with the exception of battling Police.

If Pokemon were real, I think I'd just get a Pokemon and stay home, occasionally battling. I wouldn't go outdoors and explore for all the world xD

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I'm assuming training a Pokmon is similar to training a dog, except they can breathe fire, water etc. XD

I have to disagree there. Pokémon are more intelligent beings and seem to be able to understand most human speech, whereas dogs aren't that understanding of strangers (just think about a newly caught Pokémon; they practically immediately listen. A new dog most likely won't) and can't understand human speech at all.​

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
    We need to see Goverment headquarters in Gen. V. Maybe when you defeat the Elite Four you can meet the President/Prime Minster/Monarch/Dictator etc. ! =D. Who knows, maybe the whole world is ruled by secret police and everything is covered up... *dun dun dun*

zerwey

:3
    Years
    But think again: 80% of Trainers would be constantly KO'ed...Trainers in-game are WAY easier than competitive trainers.
    But at least everybody would be vying for the rank of the true Pokemon League Champion.

Back