• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Soda Tax

Years
    What motivates large masses of people to become obese and not keep their weight in check? Not caring enough to make a difference, and lots of cheap food. Culture and taxes, really.

I think it's more than just the two. I feel that a huge cultural rift is on display between the morbidly obese and those that are in a natural weight limit for their size. It seems that the, pardon the pun, waistlines are expanding and the skinny population are starting to shrink. Having such an obese culture I feel is much due to the poor education and lack of extracurricular activities afforded to some. I mean, once you hit middle school, recess is gone and gym classes become an elective. You can choose to avoid gym and take other electives instead.

Hm. Obesity is a problem that grows to the roots of our society. I mean, the last time someone perpetuated that soda was good for you was back in the 50s and 60's. Everyone should be fully aware by now that Twinkies and Ding-Dongs are bad for you, that fast food leads to an early grave but seemingly without fail, people continue to flock towards the items that are greasy, sugary and packed with artery clogging goodness. The US still struggles with attempting to ban certain chemicals in our foods. Some of our fast foods stuffs cannot be sold over in Europe or other parts of the world for failing the chemical screening processes...

I feel that it's going to take a lot more than just simple education and a tax. I agree.

Sir Codin

Why not just let people eat and drink what they want and if it causes them to die that's their fucking problem?

Only when universal health care becomes a thing do I think that other people then have the right to dictate your health habits.

Back