• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Solgaleo's (and Lunala's) Typing

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    I'm honestly just not that happy with Solgaleo's typing being Psychic/Steel. I can see why it could be a Psychic/Steel type but ugh, just too many psychic types as legendaries (and in general). I was hoping for it to be at least Fire because it's the Sun's mascot, AND THE SUN IS MADE UP OF FIRE *edit HOT GAS :P*, so it only seems logical. +It's signature move looks like it is a fire-type move!! And if it is a fire-type move, it's not STAB at all and just doesn't make any sense.
    On the other hand Lunala's typing is perfect! A Dark/Ghost type would've of been cool but the Pokémon does look like an embodiment of Olympia.

How do you feel about SM's Legendary typings? Do you think they should be different? Why or why not?

Last edited:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
    Solgaleo's typing is stupid, even if the sun is like hardened steel or something. Amoonguss is a mushroom and mushroom's aren't plants but its still a grass types. That gives me even more reason to buy Moon

Lunala's typing is goddamn perfect. I don't care if it has 2 4x weaknesses. It has an awesome design and typing. And that move tho

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    The sun isn't made of fire. :x
    geesh ik the Sun is made outta gas, I'm just exaggerating.

+The Sun is scorching hot remember? And fire is from a mixture of gases so and pretty hot last time i'd checked. So they're pretty much similar

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I was hoping for it to be at least Fire because it's the Sun's mascot, AND THE SUN IS MADE UP OF FIRE *edit HOT GAS :P*, so it only seems logical. +It's signature move looks like it is a fire-type move!! And if it is a fire-type move, it's not STAB at all and just doesn't make any sense.
    bc it is (most likely) exclusive to Solgaleo, STAB is not important bc if the designer really want he/she can just make the base power higher.
    It one-shot Salamence btw...

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Personally, while I was surprised by the new typings (Psychic/Ghost for Lunaala? That's certainly interesting), I don't particularly have a problem with them. Psychic/Steel is a pretty decent type; it would've been better had it not been for the steel nerf back in Gen 6, but oh well. It's still a nice typing nonetheless.

Meanwhile, both Psychic and Ghost are pretty good offensive types, so it'd be interesting to see what Lunaala is capable of!

I would have never expected Sulgeleo to be a part Steel Type, was suprised quite a bit.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Solgaleo's signature move isn't a Fire type attack since it deals neutral damage to Salamance. If it was a Fire type attack, it would be not very effective against Salamance. The Japanese name for Sunsteel Strike is called Meteor Drive, which reminds me of Meteor Mash, which is a Steel type attack.

The similarity of it's Japanese name to Meteor Mash makes me wonder if it'll be a stronger Meteor Mash with a different effect. Perhaps Solgaleo will be stronger version of Metagross actually, even it's ability is similar.

Years
    Turns out it's likely weak to fire, then. Huh. Is the sun weak to fire? They do seem to be throwing around 'Psychic' typings quite freely there, which is a bit weird, especially as they recently gave some Mega-Evolutionary forms to Mewtwo and such, and might also do so for Lugia, as they do seem quite completionist when it comes to the legendaries. It would be interesting if they introduced a Jirachi into 'Sun's' plot-line, or possibly Moon's instead if safer, for the congruence. It does seem highly different, though, so presumably it's a Buddhist meditating lion.

e.
    v.

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016
    I'm honestly just not that happy with Solgaleo's typing being Psychic/Steel. I can see why it could be a Psychic/Steel type but ugh, just too many psychic types as legendaries (and in general). I was hoping for it to be at least Fire because it's the Sun's mascot, AND THE SUN IS MADE UP OF FIRE *edit HOT GAS :P*, so it only seems logical. +It's signature move looks like it is a fire-type move!! And if it is a fire-type move, it's not STAB at all and just doesn't make any sense.
    On the other hand Lunala's typing is perfect! A Dark/Ghost type would've of been cool but the Pokémon does look like an embodiment of Olympia.

How do you feel about SM's Legendary typings? Do you think they should be different? Why or why not?

Solgaleo clearly should have been a fire and steel. I know he'd be extremely weak to ground type moves, but a Psychic and Steel typing just does not fit him.

Years
    I have to admit that I got to give credit to Game Freak for digging deep into alchemy when it came to Solgaleo's type, since it's apparently based on the green lion symbol that is shown consuming the sun, which purifies metal. The sun was also said to have iron in its core, another reference to the Steel-type.

Lunala's one seems harder to figure out, although the Ghost-type could be a reference to it being based on the ghost bat.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
    I understand the rage people have, but at the same time, I don't. I mean, what, just because the games are called Sun and Moon the mascots have have to reflect that? Their design give off a much more sun/moon/cosmic vibe than anything anyway, so I don't think their typing matters that much anyway. Their designs are the main thing. If they were called Sun and Moon and like Sun's mascot was an electric fish Pokemon and Moon's was a grass duck then I'd be annoyed because wtf, but no, idgaf about types.

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016
    I understand the rage people have, but at the same time, I don't. I mean, what, just because the games are called Sun and Moon the mascots have have to reflect that? Their design give off a much more sun/moon/cosmic vibe than anything anyway, so I don't think their typing matters that much anyway. Their designs are the main thing. If they were called Sun and Moon and like Sun's mascot was an electric fish Pokemon and Moon's was a grass duck then I'd be annoyed because wtf, but no, idgaf about types.

I feel where you're coming from. I never actually train the legendary Pokemon so their types really don't matter. I'm much more excited for the other new Pokemon of the region. It's just a little ironic that the legendaries are weak to what they represent don't you think?

Back