• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Some of My Work (I Need Some Criticism)

Which Pikachu Looks Best?

• The First One (Regular Stripes)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • The Second One (Custom Stripes)

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • The Third One (Two Custom Stripes)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    Yea I can never really get my lines to look curved or just not straight, I do everything pixel by pixel like you but still... it just doesn't come out right. thnx for the tuts.

I could crit once that pikachu gets close to decent, because, well.. It'd be too much to be worth it. I'd recommend you to redo everything, and focus on the anatomy/shape/lines more than anything. Shading and colors and everything can be ignored, it's the lines that need to be worked on.

post-new.png

I like your fusions, the Onix and Torterra fusion is my favourite. :3

thanks, I made a lot more fusions but these are my best ones imo.

Years
  • I'm not too comfortable with giving criticism cuz i'm new to spriting too, but a couple of things i've noticed:-

Scratches:
    1. Needs more shades. If we can use 15 colors in our sprites, and the sprites have only one or two colors, use more shades to give it a more life like look.
    2. The outlines are jagged, try rounding the edges and defining the outlines. (Some parts, like the tail of the snake pokemon, the rounding isn't done properly.) Try to round it out on a pixel level (by making the top line have 1 more pixel than the next, etc.)
    3. Tentatot's lighting seems strange, and the body either has a too thick outline, or none at all.
    4. The cat's belly shading is wrong too. It almost seems to stick out. If its just different colored fur, the shadings on it should match the rest of the body.

Splices:
    1.Look good to me, your onix splices look, imo, amazing.
    2.Lapras evo looks good, just work on the outlines on the shell spikes

Simpsons:-
    1. they look pretty good, but the outline's on some of the roofs don't seem symmetric and some don't have any shading.
    2.The french windows need shading, cuz they look really flat and don't stick out at all

Koffing:-
    The koffing is alright, the shading is wrong because your still going by the old sprite. Koffing is spherical and that means you gotta shade according to the curvature, not the way the old sprites did it with their lack of colors.

Pie:-
    The pan looks pretty good.

these things are the things that i try to correct in my sprites as well, so i thought i'd share.

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    I'm not too comfortable with giving criticism cuz i'm new to spriting too, but a couple of things i've noticed:-

Scratches:
    1. Needs more shades. If we can use 15 colors in our sprites, and the sprites have only one or two colors, use more shades to give it a more life like look.
    2. The outlines are jagged, try rounding the edges and defining the outlines. (Some parts, like the tail of the snake pokemon, the rounding isn't done properly.) Try to round it out on a pixel level (by making the top line have 1 more pixel than the next, etc.)
    3. Tentatot's lighting seems strange, and the body either has a too thick outline, or none at all.
    4. The cat's belly shading is wrong too. It almost seems to stick out. If its just different colored fur, the shadings on it should match the rest of the body.

Splices:
    1.Look good to me, your onix splices look, imo, amazing.
    2.Lapras evo looks good, just work on the outlines on the shell spikes

1. they look pretty good, but the outline's on some of the roofs don't seem symmetric and some don't have any shading.
    2.The french windows need shading, cuz they look really flat and don't stick out at all

The koffing is alright, the shading is wrong because your still going by the old sprite. Koffing is spherical and that means you gotta shade according to the curvature, not the way the old sprites did it with their lack of colors.

The pan looks pretty good.

these things are the things that i try to correct in my sprites as well, so i thought i'd share.

Scratches:
    1. Yea, the only good shades (which imo still suck compared to others) I do are in the Fakemon Thread in the Pixel Projects section. I really have no need for my own Fakemon. so I don't really care for their quality. If it were something per say a large project like a PO, an actually good MUGEN char from me, or something like fully custom tiles, tehn I would try the hardest I can (see my pie)
    2. Something I really should learn no matter what I'm doing whether it be MUGEN or PO or whatever.
    3. The was actually my first sprite ever and I never really anticipated it to be good but thanks, some day I hope to revamp it.
    4. I don't see anything wrong with the belly other than the sucky outline and the top-right corner.

Splices:
    1.Thank you fine sir.
    2. Those are just stretched out Sharpedo horns and I was even worse at fixing outlines than I was now, I probably will fix this in the future.

1. I totally forgot to do shading on the houses roofs. The lines oncea gain, I know suck.
    2.I'll put some shading under it to make it stick out. (I think you mean the bay windows on the Simpsons house, right?)

I got lazy toward the end. I think I'll just connect the shades on the right side much like what I did with the fat cat's spherical body and make it aligned to the curvature.

Would you like a piece?

Years
  • i dunno about shading under the bay-windows( not really much of a house person...but ya i meant bay-windows....i think french windows are the door-like things....oh well....:P)....i think you should add 3 distinct shades to the top of them....like a light shade on the left, a middle shade, and a dark shade on the right, then add a darker like between them(like use the dark shade between the light and medium and the outline shade between the medium and dark) that'll give it a more modular effect.

The shading on the fat-cat-thing is fine. Nothing wrong with it if you were trying to look each part of it individually, the belly shading looks really good actually if you look at it separately, the thing is, when its a part of the entire sprite, it seems to look like a white egg embedded into his stomach. Try to change that black outline to your darker shade of green, get rid of the dark green on the left and shade the belly along with the body.

I'm sorry if i'm coming off as rude or something...its just that i dont think you got my point on it. But since its just an example, it doesn't really matter i guess.

chikorita125

^ ment to be Happy Azumarill
    Years
  • i like the simpsons sprites, we'll because i am a simpsons fan. good job with flanders house it really captures the house.

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    lol I'm a big Simpsons fan as well. I don't see how it captures the house but okay...

and Ark, you're not being rude, your helping me to become a better spriter. Also by french windows, do you mean the ones on the top of flanders or on the side of the door of the Kwik-e-Mart?

Back